Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Odds And Ends – The Simple Topic Thread

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Are they together romantically? Or just friends? (I am not asking for rumors/speculation, just wondering on the off chance it's confirmed).
    I don't know if it's confirmed anywhere but seeing her all dressed up reminds me that she's a young lady, not just a little kid, so it could be possible.

And thank you, sisinka for my answer on the boots question. 2-3 would have been roughly my guess.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    And thank you, sisinka for my answer on the boots question. 2-3 would have been roughly my guess.
    I think it depends on each skaters' habits(practice) and financial situations. I read from somewhere that Mao and Dai went through 1 pair a month. It is for safety reason. When the boots gone soft around the ankle area from all those jumps it could easily caused injuries.

Custom Title
    Will NBC show every competing skater's performance on regular tv? If not, where will they be shown?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Will NBC show every competing skater's performance on regular tv? If not, where will they be shown?
    The NBC primetime broadcasts on TV will not show figure skating in entirety.

For authenticated U.S. viewers, live streaming of all figure skating (and all competition for all sports) will be available on NBCOlympics.com.

The cable network NBCSN also will show live coverage of all figure skating, EXCEPT for the Feb 6 team skating (Men's SP and Pairs SP).
    For more information, see this GS post:
    And/or this NBC press release:

Custom Title
    Thanks, golden.

Custom Title
    We were watching an episode of Malcolm in the Middle the other day (S3 Ep22 Monkey). One of the characters (Craig) is watching TV, and I thought - and exclaimed: "Is that Yagudin? It looks like his Winter costume!" (My eyesight is very bad and I believe the TV screen shown was rather fuzzy as well.) "I don't know," said my husband, "but it does look like him."

I know this is pretty "old news" - well, obviously! - but since I just saw it myself, and was quite excited by it, I thought I'd just share.

Custom Title
    Has our team left for Sochi yet? Travel is rather "iffy" these days with delays and cancellations.
    But my real question, has there ever been an athlete who got to the olympics too late to compete? I remember Emily had trouble getting out of NY when she was told she was to replace Michelle.

Banned
    i think most of the us figure skating team is leaving on feb 2

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Has our team left for Sochi yet? Travel is rather "iffy" these days with delays and cancellations.
    But my real question, has there ever been an athlete who got to the olympics too late to compete? I remember Emily had trouble getting out of NY when she was told she was to replace Michelle.
    I'm not real sure what the whole team is doing, but on the more "visible" ladies front: Gracie is camped out in Germany to de-jetlag early, and Ashley is traveling today.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    i think most of the us figure skating team is leaving on feb 2
    Per @USFigureSkating, Abbott and Castelli were in Munich today for "team processing." I think "team" in this case refers to all Team USA athletes from all sports.

Sorry for repeating what I have said elsewhere:
    As of last year, USFS planned to set up a base in Graz for its Sochi athletes.
    Don't know if that is still true, but I think it could be. Per @LynnRutherford, Denis Ten has been with Gold and Frank Carroll in Oberstdorf, so Gold's prep there might be a Team Carroll thing (as opposed to a Team USA thing).

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Going back to the eyesight issue, it's funny... when I skated I always needed glasses but would refuse to get/wear them, certainly on the ice & while competing. Now... if I ever skated I couldn't imagine doing it WITHOUT my glasses. I skated for the first time in years within the last couple months and it was a cool experience to actually be able to SEE! Contacts aren't for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    Going back to the eyesight issue, it's funny... when I skated I always needed glasses but would refuse to get/wear them, certainly on the ice & while competing. Now... if I ever skated I couldn't imagine doing it WITHOUT my glasses. I skated for the first time in years within the last couple months and it was a cool experience to actually be able to SEE! Contacts aren't for everyone.
    I did adult pairs for a bit with a partner who wore glasses on ice. It worked quite well for him (mind you, this was adult level). But for my own personal comfort, I'd switch to contacts. To each their own, you can't skate if you can't see, but if your eyeballs are driving you batty, you can't skate your best either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2