Ladies: Kanako Murakami, Satoko Miyahara, Haruka Imai
Ice Dance: Emi Hirai/Marien De La Asuncion

Junor Worlds
Men: Keiji Tanaka, Shoma Uno
Ladies: Rika Hongo, Satoko Miyahara

lcd

Match Penalty
Sorry for Kozuka...

He skated so well at Nationals. At least in his heart, he will know that it was not because he did not deliver what he could under the stressful moment when it counted. It was a committee's decision. Hope he is able to recover emotionally in time to deliver a strong performance at 4CC and stay ready to represent at Worlds in case one of the top 3 are unable (assumes he is named first alternate to the World Team)

cinnamon

On the Ice
He skated so well at Nationals. At least in his heart, he will know that it was not because he did not deliver what he could under the stressful moment when it counted. It was a committee's decision. Hope he is able to recover emotionally in time to deliver a strong performance at 4CC and stay ready to represent at Worlds in case one of the top 3 are unable (assumes he is named first alternate to the World Team)
Just like his father's destiny - injured before Sapporo Olympics.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
So happy for Dai. If he's well enough he'll have the chance to really say goodbye to his fans in Sochi.

Dai will likely withdraw from Worlds...so at least Kozuka will be in a good spot to medal there.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Does this mean that Asada, Takahashi, Suzuki, and Murakami "must" compete at Worlds, and not "permitted" to retire until afterwards?
Or could Japan's World's team in fact be rather different?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Olympics
Narumi Takahashi/Ryuichi Kihara
Cathy Reed/Chris Reed
Akiko Suzuki, Mao Asada, Kanako Murakami
Yuzuru Hanyu, Tatsuki Machida, Daisuke Takahashi

Worlds
Narumi Takahashi/Ryuichi Kihara
Cathy Reed/Chris Reed
Akiko Suzuki, Mao Asada, Kanako Murakami
Yuzuru Hanyu, Tatsuki Machida, Daisuke Takahashi

Four Continents
Takahiko Kozuka, Nobunari Oda, Keiji Tanaka
Kanako Murakami, Satoko Miyahara, Haruka Imai

Junor Worlds

Rika Hongo, Satoko Miyahara
Keiji Tanaka, Shoma Uno

Domo, NMura.

@HelTra91
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6bfSdpDRR8Announcement of Japanese Team
ソチオリンピック日本代表決定 Sochi Olympic Japan National Team
5:03 AM - 23 Dec 13
https://twitter.com/HelTra91/status/415105437738864640 (vid is 6:15 in length)​
(via @SarahAndDrew)​

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Thank you skating gods for Dai at Olympics. I just hope that he can be back to form and will not beat himself up beyond repair. But wow at Kanako going to everything in sight. Busy girl!

koheikun90

On the Ice
Dai!!!:yay:

Kozuka :cry: *10, I so wanted to see him in Sochi!:no:

I think JSF wanted Kozuka on the team. However, there is no way the could pass up Machida who clearly earned his spot. I think judges kept up Kozuka's scores in the SP to leave him within striking distance to beat Machida in the free skate. It looks like Takahashi was going to be named to the Olympic games anyway, even if he withdrew from the competition. Therefore, in order to Kozuka, Oda and even Mura to make the team, they had to have beaten Machida.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Does this mean that Asada, Takahashi, Suzuki, and Murakami "must" compete at Worlds, and not "permitted" to retire until afterwards?

It's possible that they are contracted to appear at Worlds in Japan in order to increases ratings and secure spots for next year. However, if any of them win the gold then they might have the political power to retire.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Takahashi and Kihara can only participate in the team event, right?

IIRC, someone from a team from another country who qualified at Nebelhorn didn't get citizenship, so they were the next on the list for the pairs competition. I can't remember what country that other team was from, maybe Austria, but someone on here will likely know.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm sad for Oda, but at least he gets to go to 4CC. Who I'm really sad for is Mura! For some reason they opted to have Keiji Tanaka do double duty rather than give Mura 4CC despite the later finishing ahead at nationals. Either Mura declined to do the event (which I find hard to believe) or his performance at the GP season really gave JSF a bad impression.

hanca

Record Breaker

Of course the team could be different. Considering that it will be after the Olympics, if they wanted to retire before the worlds, there is nothing the Japanese Federation can do to them to make them compete at worlds. (They have no way to punish them by for example not sending them to some competition, because they would be retired anyway. Even if there was some written contract that they are promising to compete, I am sure they would be able to get medical certificate if they really did not want to compete any more.) On the other hand, any other year I would imagine that they would want to retire after the Olympics, especially if any of them get gold medal. After that it would be really difficult to force yourself train so hard. (like Yu-Na Kim 2010). But the worlds are going to be in Japan so they may take it as their chance to say good bye to their Japanese fans and therefore they may want to skate at worlds.

Interesting that they passed Mura for Tanaka.

I guess Reeds refused 4CC in order to focus on preparation for the Olympics?

96skiluvr

On the Ice
IIRC, someone from a team from another country who qualified at Nebelhorn didn't get citizenship, so they were the next on the list for the pairs competition. I can't remember what country that other team was from, maybe Austria, but someone on here will likely know.

It was the guy from the Estonian team (he's Russian) who has apparently been denied Estonian citizenship