Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Olympic and ISU Championships Teams

skating philosopher
    I'm sad for Oda, but at least he gets to go to 4CC. Who I'm really sad for is Mura! For some reason they opted to have Keiji Tanaka do double duty rather than give Mura 4CC despite the later finishing ahead at nationals. Either Mura declined to do the event (which I find hard to believe) or his performance at the GP season really gave JSF a bad impression.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    Does this mean that Asada, Takahashi, Suzuki, and Murakami "must" compete at Worlds, and not "permitted" to retire until afterwards?
    Or could Japan's World's team in fact be rather different?
    Of course the team could be different. Considering that it will be after the Olympics, if they wanted to retire before the worlds, there is nothing the Japanese Federation can do to them to make them compete at worlds. (They have no way to punish them by for example not sending them to some competition, because they would be retired anyway. Even if there was some written contract that they are promising to compete, I am sure they would be able to get medical certificate if they really did not want to compete any more.) On the other hand, any other year I would imagine that they would want to retire after the Olympics, especially if any of them get gold medal. After that it would be really difficult to force yourself train so hard. (like Yu-Na Kim 2010). But the worlds are going to be in Japan so they may take it as their chance to say good bye to their Japanese fans and therefore they may want to skate at worlds.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Interesting that they passed Mura for Tanaka.

I guess Reeds refused 4CC in order to focus on preparation for the Olympics?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    IIRC, someone from a team from another country who qualified at Nebelhorn didn't get citizenship, so they were the next on the list for the pairs competition. I can't remember what country that other team was from, maybe Austria, but someone on here will likely know.
    It was the guy from the Estonian team (he's Russian) who has apparently been denied Estonian citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    Just like his father's destiny - injured before Sapporo Olympics.
    Well, at least Taka made it to the Olympics at least once ... in 2010 ...

I'm so happy for Daisuke I hope he's skates beautifully and says goodbye to his fans at the Olympics, yay Kanako for going to everything you go girl, I feel bad for Oda and Kozuka but happy that they'll be at 4CCs so I'm okay. So do Mao, Daisuke, Akiko, Kanako(maybe) have to retire after worlds or...

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Well, at least Taka made it to the Olympics at least once ... in 2010 ...
    So did his dad in 1968, interestingly enough one of his coaches, Yuka's Mother was there too,
    but he performed badly, and Sapporo in 1972 was supposed to give him a chance of the revenge/resurrection.

Sure Taka will be back, but four years later, it will not be easier for anyone either.
    Dai and Oda will be gone, but Yuzuru and Machida will stay, and new ones will come up to challenge remaining top skaters .

Quote Originally Posted by bluelutz View Post
    Sure Taka will be back, but four years later, it will not be easier for anyone either.
    Dai and Oda will be gone, but Yuzuru and Machida will stay, and new ones will come up to challenge remaining top skaters .
    Very, very true, but here's to hoping that he can be our new Akiko Suzuki! She's 28, and he'll be that age then ...

But... why 4CC to Murakami? Did she ask to compete there?

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    It might have something to do with the way she competed on the GP circuit. They probably want to either (a) make sure she is ready, or (b) secure three spots for Japan at 4CC for next year.

I remember they sent Mao Asada to 4CC in 2010 because of the way she performed on the GP circuit that year.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    The reason might be due to her current world standings position.
    Since she did not do well during the past GPS, hers is right now 11th,
    and depending on the result of the Euro, even it can go lower.
    In the Olympic game, according to the world standings,
    their SP skating order/grouping will be decided.
    Therefore, in order to get in the final two groups, they have to be in the top 10/or top 12??,
    as the top skaters will be distributed to the final two groups.
    This is very important for Kanako, especially since her triple-triple combo is not the harder one,
    it would reflect on her SP scoring if she cannot to get in the final two groups.
    I guess that is probably why she is going to 4CC, to secure the good world standings.

Though still it can be very had on her,,

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    It might have something to do with the way she competed on the GP circuit. They probably want to either (a) make sure she is ready, or (b) secure three spots for Japan at 4CC for next year.

I remember they sent Mao Asada to 4CC in 2010 because of the way she performed on the GP circuit that year.
    Every country gets three spots for 4CC regardless of performance.

Heartbroken for Kozuka and Oda. :( I hoped for these two more than any of the others. Depending on how the Olympics play out, hopefully we'll see at least one of them at Worlds.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Interesting that they passed Mura for Tanaka.
    I felt so too,
    especially because it seemed that Mura was held up, judging with his performances.
    Probably the Japanese federation wanted to secure two spots in GSP for Tanaka,
    who will be aged out of the Junior ranks in the next season, by sending him to 4CC,
    and to give the hosting country's spot to Mura by holding him up at the Nationals, who did not do well during the GPS.
    With two top skaters retiring, they like to keep the spots for their skaters as many as possible.

Rinkside
    So happy Takahashi has qualified for the Olympics! Japan brings three strong male skaters! I will be shocked if none makes the podium

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast