Is Akiko Suzuki a legitimate OGM contender now alongside Asada and Kim? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Is Akiko Suzuki a legitimate OGM contender now alongside Asada and Kim?

CarneAsada

Medalist
At this point I would say Kim would 2 major jump errors would more than be safe to beat anything Kostner might realistically put out. Mao, it depends if she can skate better than she has all season or not. I dont expect Kim to make 2 major jump errors at the Games mind you.
Kim can score near 150 at her best, but it only takes one major mistake for the GOE and PCS to drop by 5 points each. Her scores at Worlds 2013 and the Olympics can't be extrapolated from her other performances because of the clean bonus. The disadvantage of Kostner is that she never has the clean bonus.

christinaskater

Medalist
FAVOURITE: Yu-Na Kim, Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner
DARK HORSES: Akiko Suzuki, Julia Lipnitskaia, Ashley Wagner, Adelina Sotnikova , Gracie Gold and Kanako Murakami.

christinaskater

Medalist
I think I must be one of the small minority who enjoy Akiko's spins :S

I love her spins! She may not be as flexible as the other girls, but I love most of her spins. I despised one spin from her in the past (the awkward camel spin). Glad she got rid of that spin.

Orc

Rinkside
I can't believe people actually like her spins. No offense, but they are so awkward and unfortunate looking. They are so slow as well.

andyjo24

Medalist
I love her spins! She may not be as flexible as the other girls, but I love most of her spins. I despised one spin from her in the past (the awkward camel spin). Glad she got rid of that spin.

I particularly like her last spin in the LP because of her arm positions. They match the music perfectly! =)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I can't believe people actually like her spins. No offense, but they are so awkward and unfortunate looking. They are so slow as well.

I went back and watched a few of her programs--her spins aren't actually that slow. Her camel spin is slower than, let's say, her scratch spin (but that makes perfect sense as per the laws of physics).

She's not as slow as Plushenko, but no one is supposed to spin as fast as Alissa Czisny anyway.

TheCzar

On the Ice
I went back and watched a few of her programs--her spins aren't actually that slow. Her camel spin is slower than, let's say, her scratch spin (but that makes perfect sense as per the laws of physics).

She's not as slow as Plushenko, but no one is supposed to spin as fast as Alissa Czisny anyway.

Ahhh Alissa. She put up a good fight. At least she'll go down as one of the best spinners in the biz.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I always thought Akiko's spin has good speed, great centering and good edge control. It is just her lines (largely due to her body proportion, not her fault) is not that good.

As for Alissa Czisny, was speed a trademark feature of her spins? I thought it was the exquisite positions and centering.

It's been my impression that rather than achieving any particular absolute speed, Alissa's spins were impressive because they maintain their speed from beginning to end and sometimes even seem to accelerate (by some magic process discovered only by her and maybe Lucinda Ruh). Can someone confirm this (or correct me)?

Ven

Match Penalty
I'm not an expert, but I think physics dictate you can alter the impression of your speed depending on body position. If you give a wider image for the eye to behold, you will appear to move slower, and the narrower you look, you will appear to move faster. Even if you are going the same rotational speed, the distance at your widest points will circle faster.

I was driving by a wind farm this summer and the person I was with commented how slow the turbines seemed to rotate. I had to remind them that the turbine was moving exceptionally fast, but because of the size, it seemed much slower.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I'm not an expert, but I think physics dictate you can alter the impression of your speed depending on body position. If you give a wider image for the eye to behold, you will appear to move slower, and the narrower you look, you will appear to move faster. Even if you are going the same rotational speed, the distance at your widest points will circle faster.

I was driving by a wind farm this summer and the person I was with commented how slow the turbines seemed to rotate. I had to remind them that the turbine was moving exceptionally fast, but because of the size, it seemed much slower.

OT- Well, when skaters change from a camel to a sit spin, they actually do accelerate because their distribution of mass has changed relative to the center of their axis.

Here's an educational video ESPN made a while back (featuring Sasha Cohen) that explains things better than I ever could.

http://youtu.be/X8N5X0PSGwI