Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Can Mao Asada close the gap on Akiko Suzuki?

Custom Title
    The judges have imo given Mao all the grace they are going to do with her 3 ax this season. At Sochi it will be analyzed under a microscope. If she keeps on insisting on 2 in the long program, it could be her downfall.
    I really don't think a gap has been established at this point, but if Akiko skates like she did at Japanese nationals she will be a force to reckon with by all competitors.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    The judges have imo given Mao all the grace they are going to do with her 3 ax this season. At Sochi it will be analyzed under a microscope. If she keeps on insisting on 2 in the long program, it could be her downfall.
    I really don't think a gap has been established at this point, but if Akiko skates like she did at Japanese nationals she will be a force to reckon with by all competitors.
    Imo not. If they did, her one at GPF would have been ratified.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    On the contrary, I think Sochi is where she'll have extra leeway on those 3Axels. As long as it's not blatantly flawed or two-footed, she'll likely get the benefit of the doubt. I would imagine the tech panel is less likely to make controversial calls under Olympic scrutiny (remember the officials--not just the skaters--will also be scrutinized).

Moreover, Amano won't be on the panel.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Moreover, Amano won't be on the panel.
    Do we know who will be on the panel yet? I know a Russian possibly can be because of Adelina's and Liza's placements last year. If that's the case, I can see that rotation could be scrutinized because neither Julia or Adelina have a major problem with UR (sometimes Adelina on her 3-3, but otherwise she rotates everything).

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Do we know who will be on the panel yet? I know a Russian possibly can be because of Adelina's and Liza's placements last year. If that's the case, I can see that rotation could be scrutinized because neither Julia or Adelina have a major problem with UR (sometimes Adelina on her 3-3, but otherwise she rotates everything).
    No one is as obsessed with rotations as Amano. He also gave edge calls to Julia, which will most likely not happen in Sochi.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Yes I tend to agree. They will want to help the Russians so any skater prone to underrotations calls will have to be extra careful. That isnt really an issue for Kim or Kostner. Unfortunately it could be a problem for Asada, Wagner, and perhaps Suzuki. Although Sotnikova actually isnt immune to URs (have hardly ever seen Julia get them) but if the main or assistant caller is Russian they will probably go easier on her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    No one is as obsessed with rotations as Amano. He also gave edge calls to Julia, which will most likely not happen in Sochi.
    I would hope her edge calls on her flutz would be called. Although its Russia so they'll probably not... And if they do call it the judges will still give her +1s.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I would hope her edge calls on her flutz would be called. Although its Russia so they'll probably not... And if they do call it the judges will still give her +1s.
    Julia isn't a frequent flutzer at all
    is just sometime she does them in borderline

even the Osmond flutzes more than her

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Julia isn't a frequent flutzer at all
    is just sometime she does them in borderline
    Oh, you mean like at the GPF 2013 where all 3 lutzes got edge calls? Or perhaps you meant Finlandia 2013 where all 3 lutzes got edge calls? Or Skate Canada where she got flutz call in her FS?

Even if you included COR, 7/12 lutz attempts this season have been flutzes (7/9 if we don't include COR where she had pretty obvious flutzes but the tech spec looked the other way). LOL @ suggesting she's "not a frequent flutzer at all".

At least her flip has improved since at Junior Worlds 2013 where all 3 flips got edge calls.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3