Taxi cab info | Golden Skate

Taxi cab info

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This was posted on FSU and I have permission to repost it here on GoldenSkate. This is really good info for anyone planning on using taxi cabs to get around Boston.

Please leave expensive jewelry at home. You will be going to multiple venues, exploring the sights, and enjoying various restaurants and cafes. It will be next to impossible to retrace your steps to find lost items. If you're like me and have temperamental earrings that attach themselves to sweaters and scarves, leave those at home as well.

Walking can be tricky. The sidewalks tend to be uneven and you will encounter curb cuts in the middle of a block. Pay attention when walking. If you must use your phone to navigate, "pull off" the sidewalk with your back to a building, mailbox, or light pole. Pulling off that way allows you to see what's going on around you and allows others to go around you with minimal inconvenience.

When using a cab, make a note of the cab's number and the name of the cab company. Try to use authorized cabs that display a blue City of Boston medallion. The city's Hackney Division will help you get reunited with lost items, but only if you know the medallion number. These are the authorized cab companies:

Top Cab, based in Revere, 617-266-4800
Boston Cab Assoc., based near Fenway, 617-536-3200
I.T.O.A. Cab Assoc., based in Roxbury, 617-825-4000
City Cab Assoc., based in Revere, 617-536-5100
Metro Cab Assoc., based in Allston, 617-782-5500
Tunnel Taxi, based in East Boston, 617-567-2700
617TaxiCab Inc., based in East Boston, 617-829-4222

If you need to report a problem, the Hackney Division website has a lost property and a complaint form. During business hours, you can call 617-343-4475
Oh, and if you have a really good cab ride, ask the driver for his card and work schedule, then summon your driver when needed.

This is the link for the taxi info: http://www.cityofboston.gov/police/hackney/

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good info about cabs...I have a chain on my wallet cause it has jumped out of my pocket on its own....many venues have a cab stand or a place that will order you a cab....don't know about the TD....

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was told there is a taxi stand across from the Garden on Causeway st. I'm not sure if customer service would call a taxi or not. Just to be safe, I'm going to put a couple of taxi co. numbers in my "dumb" phone. People with smartphones can just look up companies, but I can't do that so I'll just put a couple in my phone before I leave home.
My the way Chris, I got so sick in Spokane at Nationals in 2007 the first aid people had to call a taxi for me to get back to my hotel. They were incredibly nice to me and I felt lucky I didn't end up on the hospital. Taught me to request a seat at concourse level....I would never have made it up from the lower bowl that year.

Everettguy

Rinkside
Keep in mind also that if you come out of the Garden, cross the street, on the corner of Canal / Causeway St you can go into the subway. Or you can walk up Canal St to North Station and there should be taxi's there too. Canal St is where Boston Beer Works, etc. are located.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
M., I am so sorry you got sick..we do all that planning and then we get sick.... it happens to me, sadly, all too much. At Cleveland, I got Norovirus (my fourth time) which cost me a day and at SA Everett I got bronchitis...had to miss the men's final....
I have a feeling that getting a cab wont be an issue, but your information is good to have. Thanks!

I was told there is a taxi stand across from the Garden on Causeway st. I'm not sure if customer service would call a taxi or not. Just to be safe, I'm going to put a couple of taxi co. numbers in my "dumb" phone. People with smartphones can just look up companies, but I can't do that so I'll just put a couple in my phone before I leave home.
My the way Chris, I got so sick in Spokane at Nationals in 2007 the first aid people had to call a taxi for me to get back to my hotel. They were incredibly nice to me and I felt lucky I didn't end up on the hospital. Taught me to request a seat at concourse level....I would never have made it up from the lower bowl that year.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, I see Boston Beer works...its on my map now....You know what's odd? The places around the arena are very reasonably priced compared to the "the Kennedys eat here" places near the Seaport. Good job fielding info, Everettguy.

Keep in mind also that if you come out of the Garden, cross the street, on the corner of Canal / Causeway St you can go into the subway. Or you can walk up Canal St to North Station and there should be taxi's there too. Canal St is where Boston Beer Works, etc. are located.

Everettguy

Rinkside
Another place people find fun is durgin park in Faneuil hall. They have reasonable lunch items and a few cheaper dinner ones like the Yankee pot roast at 17.95. Their theme used to be about being rude and nasty on purpose to the customers. I think they still do that. Yes, if you leave seaport you'll find more reasonable places.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Rude and Nasty on purpose???? NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!! :laugh: Well some folk may like that kind of treatment....it certainly looks like we shall not starve in Boston! 10 days to go...and the week before and during will go all too fast....
Another place people find fun is durgin park in Faneuil hall. They have reasonable lunch items and a few cheaper dinner ones like the Yankee pot roast at 17.95. Their theme used to be about being rude and nasty on purpose to the customers. I think they still do that. Yes, if you leave seaport you'll find more reasonable places.

A.H.Black

Final Flight

I ate at Durgin Park when I visited Boston in 1966. Yes, I still remember. We ate in the kitchen - the whole place was a kitchen. Yes, the service was abrupt - but I don't think I thought it was rude (I was a kid then). My mother was amazed that the waitress aimed the water pitcher from about 3 feet away from the glass, and didn't spill a drop. The prime rib came on a big platter and over-hung the edges. The strawberry shortcake was served on a large, dinner sized plate. My eyes were pretty round by the time we left - loved the food.

I wonder if it's still like that.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Does anyone know the approximate fare from TD Garden to BCEC? Depending on how many times the trip actually needs to be made, it might be cheaper (and faster) to share a cab.

I am going on Monday so if someone goes earlier - takes a cab - and can share the information, it would be helpful to know.

Just did some checking with the rates and the map and I come up with a rate of around $10.00 per trip (with tip). The time difference seems to be about 35minutes via subway and bus vs less than 10 minutes by taxi. Can anyone confirm or correct my thinking?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
On FSU poster Boston2014 estimated the cost of going from TD Garden to Seaport Hotel at $12+ (noted that meters also charge for time so heavy traffic would increase cost). The Seaport Hotel is within maybe .5 mile of BCEC. There was also a caution that very few cabs will allow anyone to sit in the front seat so your party would need to fit in the back or be a van.

Does anyone know the approximate fare from TD Garden to BCEC? Depending on how many times the trip actually needs to be made, it might be cheaper (and faster) to share a cab.

I am going on Monday so if someone goes earlier - takes a cab - and can share the information, it would be helpful to know.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Walking distance from the NW lobby exit of the Seaport to the NE entrance of the BCEC is 1235 ft. This means I can walk back to my room and take two naps a day!! :) Are cabs typically vans or big cars where you can sit three across in the back? This will be the first city I have visited where I cant ride in the front....
On FSU poster Boston2014 estimated the cost of going from TD Garden to Seaport Hotel at $12+ (noted that meters also charge for time so heavy traffic would increase cost). The Seaport Hotel is within maybe .5 mile of BCEC. There was also a caution that very few cabs will allow anyone to sit in the front seat so your party would need to fit in the back or be a van.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hmmm how did I come up with .3 miles on google which is a little different than your 1235 ft :think::think:? At any rate, when you measure the difference by vehicle it is a little more because of one way streets. I think what was said about the taxis is that they have both cars and vans and some will allow a front seat passenger, but many will not. So if you flag a taxi you won't know until you check if they will allow a front seat passenger. Maybe if you call and order one you can request a van....but I don't know that for sure.

Naps are definitely allowed at Nationals...how else would we all survive? :p

Walking distance from the NW lobby exit of the Seaport to the NE entrance of the BCEC is 1235 ft. This means I can walk back to my room and take two naps a day!! :) Are cabs typically vans or big cars where you can sit three across in the back? This will be the first city I have visited where I cant ride in the front....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah, asking about occupancy would be a good idea, especially for four people in a taxi.
M., all you have to do is go to Google maps, directions, put in the seaport and BCEC, an click the walking person, ...its .2 miles by foot....or 1056 ft. I used a ruler to figure 1235 ft....if you have a car, its .6 miles.....
Hmmm how did I come up with .3 miles on google which is a little different than your 1235 ft :think::think:? At any rate, when you measure the difference by vehicle it is a little more because of one way streets. I think what was said about the taxis is that they have both cars and vans and some will allow a front seat passenger, but many will not. So if you flag a taxi you won't know until you check if they will allow a front seat passenger. Maybe if you call and order one you can request a van....but I don't know that for sure.

Naps are definitely allowed at Nationals...how else would we all survive? :p

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Coyote it is really weird - when I put in 1 Seaport Lane (address for hotel) I get .3 miles but when I put in Seaport Hotel it shows .2 miles. I think Mr. Google is trying to confuse me :laugh:. I do agree that weather cooperating it is an easy walk.

Yeah, asking about occupancy would be a good idea, especially for four people in a taxi.
M., all you have to do is go to Google maps, directions, put in the seaport and BCEC, an click the walking person, ...its .2 miles by foot....or 1056 ft. I used a ruler to figure 1235 ft....if you have a car, its .6 miles.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
No problem...you have to use the place, not the address, to get the correct map....it is confused!
Here is a screen shot of what you should see....with distances and the route...
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/misc/bceswalk2_zpsb726e604.jpg
Coyote it is really weird - when I put in 1 Seaport Lane (address for hotel) I get .3 miles but when I put in Seaport Hotel it shows .2 miles. I think Mr. Google is trying to confuse me :laugh:. I do agree that weather cooperating it is an easy walk.