Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Daisuke instead of Takahiko - Fair decision or not ?

Custom Title
    This is the best team for Japan. That is all that should matter in the selection process.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Kozuka finishing 3rd made it fairly easy to select Takahashi, as he has done nothing to distinguish himself for a long time now.
    Huh? He had a gold and a silver on the GP just last season - including a win over Hanyu and Machida at Skate America.

The 'perfec't selection system may be in the eyes of the beholder and one's favourites. I like Kozuka very much but my head tells me that Japan Fed. will select Daisuke over Kozuka despite Kozuka doing better than Daisuke in Japan Nationals. Mao and Daisuke are the current Rock Stars in Japan. Had Kozuka won the Japan Nationals, than his place to Sochi would be sealed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I remember after the 2011 Worlds people were predicting Kozuka would be Chan`s biggest threat in the years leading up until 2014. Just another example how quickly things change in this sport.
    To be fair, Kozuka was injured and the comeback trail is often a long and winding one.

Custom Title
    Koz was overscored massively here. Hello SP. Hello LP. His skating is cold, and his programs are boring. I see a case made for Oda, but Oda didn't do enough to warrant a spot. Had Oda been 2nd, sure.

I don't feel bad for Koz at all. He's regressed so much he's not going to make the final round in Sochi anyway. I rather see Dai who's earned his spot for all his work the past 4 years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Koz was overscored massively here. Hello SP. Hello LP. His skating is cold, and his programs are boring. I see a case made for Oda, but Oda didn't do enough to warrant a spot. Had Oda been 2nd, sure.
    Well that's an interesting one, because Machida likely would have been left off the team. I do agree that Oda's PCS was way too low in the SP, and Kozuka was overscored for having had 2 errors in his SP and no clean quad (and just one at that) and a fall in his LP.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar

I don't feel bad for Koz at all. He's regressed so much he's not going to make the final round in Sochi anyway. I rather see Dai who's earned his spot for all his work the past 4 years.
    As long as we all stay gracious in victory as in defeat, all is well.

Custom Title
    1st. Machida
    2nd. Oda
    3rd. Hanyu
    4th. Koz
    5th. Dai

Top 3 go.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    As long as we all stay gracious in victory as in defeat, all is well.
    To answer the OP, yes, it's fair. All is well. should be directed at Koz's performances all season.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    To answer the OP, yes, it's fair. All is well. should be directed at Koz's performances all season.
    Have you seen the youtube vids of him after the team had been announced?
    I don't get your excitement at repeatedly kicking someone who's down in an unnecessarily degrading manner.
    Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Was it fair? That's debatable, but I think that Daisuke deserves to go. From Kozuka's perspective, no, it doesn't seem fair, because he did everything he could, and he probably feels like he earned a spot on that team. Seeing him in tears was hard to watch, and I really am heartbroken for him. This was his Olympic dream, and he probably won't get another chance at it.
    However, I think the JSF made the right decision to send Dai. It would have been such a shame for him to miss Sochi, after everything he has done these past four years. And it was fair in the sense that Dai has a higher world ranking, a higher SB, and had a better GP season. He may not have earned his spot at Nationals, but I do think he earned his spot. Though he is struggling with his jumps, I still think he is a stronger skater than Kozuka right now, and I think he has a better chance at getting a medal than Kozuka would.
    Had they chosen Kozuka instead of Dai, people would have been claiming that that was unfair. People would have said that it was unfair to choose Kozuka just because he managed to beat Dai in one competition, though Dai had been stronger except for that. There's no pleasing everyone. So, was it fair? I think it was fair in some ways, but not others. We will never come to a clear answer whether it was "fair" or not, no matter how much we debate. Instead of being bitter, let's wish everyone who made the team the best of luck, and hope that they all skate their hearts out when they get their Olympic moment.

Oh, and I don't think that Dai is going to compete at Worlds. He was planning on retiring after the Olympics, so after the Olympics I think he will withdraw from Worlds and Kozuka will get the spot.

Custom Title
    I would send Kozuka! I don't think Takahashi earned it. This season he has not been as great as he had been in the past.

Custom Title
    I don't think it's fair. Basically they have said "we don't care what happens at Nats, we'll send who we want".

One can't help but look at the defensiveness in this thread and think back to last year when an identical situation occured...I can guarantee that if it had been, say, Plushenko....the internet would have exploded with screams of corruption.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I don't think it's fair. Basically they have said "we don't care what happens at Nats, we'll send who we want".

One can't help but look at the defensiveness in this thread and think back to last year when an identical situation occured...I can guarantee that if it had been, say, Plushenko....the internet would have exploded with screams of corruption.
    Well, Russian nationals IS about to start... as I said earlier, if this is what happens with Dai at Japanese Nationals (which is far less corrupt in my mind than Russia), Kovtun/Voronov/etc. are screwed and all Plushenko has to do is stay on the ice for an SP and FS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Well, Russian nationals IS about to start... as I said earlier, if this is what happens with Dai at Japanese Nationals (which is far less corrupt in my mind than Russia), Kovtun/Voronov/etc. are screwed and all Plushenko has to do is stay on the ice for an SP and FS.
    But why is it different? Because Japan is a "friendly" country to the West? Because Takahashi is more loved?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast