Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Results 121 to 130 of 130

Thread: A Female Skater Who Has Everything, Is It Possible?

  1. #121
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Saying Kostner is the closest if her jumps had been more reliable is like saying Sasha is the female skater who has everything, except for the whole lack of consistency thing.
    Sasha, even with consistency, is not half the skater most of the top tier skaters today are. Even if Sasha can land 7 triples, her flutz is still a flutz, her tiny jumps are still tiny, her low level spins are still low level, her shallow edge throughout her step sequence is still shallow. Do you understand this?

    Kostner has textbook jumps in EVERY SINGLE triple. Has unmatched skating skill. Her jumps are huge. Her speed is blazing. sky_fly20 is hyperbolic, but it's not exactly unimaginable that a clean Kostner is as special as a unicorn. A clean Sasha is just an average skater with average skill and below average jumps and undeserved praised for steps and spins.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Wow. You've officially outdone yourself in the hating on skaters department.

    Saying Kostner is the closest if her jumps had been more reliable is like saying Sasha is the female skater who has everything, except for the whole lack of consistency thing.

    You're actually suggesting Carolina is closest to being the female skater who has everything... more than Michelle Kwan....

    Although, tbh, I'm disappointed you didn't suggest someone even more ludicrous like Gold.
    Kwan was more consistent yes that is true, probably the reason her ubers think she's so great
    she had great spirals that is all

    Carolina has good edge on her jumps even her lutz !, her issues were mental not jump techniques
    Sasha Cohen even if she was more consistent would never be at par with Carolina
    look at how Carolina strokes in the ice, she never loses speed, step seq and skating skill is unmatched not even Mao or Yuna could ever get
    she has great body type too, so yes she is the closest to an ideal skater

  3. #123
    Custom Title KwanIsALegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Kwan was overrated, the only good thing about her was her spirals.

    Carolina is the closest had her jumps been more reliable in the big events
    she has speed, jumps and a body type ideal for both presenting herself and long stroking on the ice
    Kostner is perfect for galas at least

    Yeah, I guess being a skater with the most clean programs, winning 9 nationals and 5 worlds and two Olympic medals doesn't mean much?? You try and find another skater with Michelle's consistency. Lemme tell ya, in this sport consistency is the name of the game. It is what all skaters strive for and dream of. The reason she is always so highly praised is due to the fact that she brought down the house time and time again. If 'the only good thing about her was her spirals' than a lot of judges have a lot of explaining to do. She is an exceptional skater.
    You may not care for her skating, but to say she s overrated and that her spirals were her only asset is just ignorant and laughable.

  4. #124
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Kwan was more consistent yes that is true, probably the reason her ubers think she's so great
    she had great spirals that is all

    Carolina has good edge on her jumps even her lutz !, her issues were mental not jump techniques
    Sasha Cohen even if she was more consistent would never be at par with Carolina
    look at how Carolina strokes in the ice, she never loses speed, step seq and skating skill is unmatched not even Mao or Yuna could ever get
    she has great body type too, so yes she is the closest to an ideal skater
    And Carolina's spins? Clearly, the ideal.

    Consistency is the name of the game. Saying a skater with poor consistency would be the best possible is worse than hypothetical, because it is a critical factor in their success. And yes, to say Kwan was only spirals is ignorant at best and just pure haterade at its worst.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    And Carolina's spins? Clearly, the ideal.

    Consistency is the name of the game. Saying a skater with poor consistency would be the best possible is worse than hypothetical, because it is a critical factor in their success. And yes, to say Kwan was only spirals is ignorant at best and just pure haterade at its worst.
    the thread is about a skater if possible who has the most in everything, no ?
    if it were about the most consistent and the most number of medals then sure it will go to Kwan or Yuna

    Carolina's spins is not ideal
    but like I said she is the closest to a skater that has everything

  6. #126
    Custom Title mirai4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    If I were to morph a Perfect Skater:

    the Facial Beauty of Gracie Gold
    the Elegance of Dorothy Hamil
    the Jumps of Midori Ito
    the Lines and Flexibility of Julia
    the Consistency of Yuna
    the Body type of Carolina Kostner
    and Mao Asada's neck
    the Body type of "Yuna Kim"

  7. #127
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    435
    One of the all-time greatests, Denise Bielmann.
    Here she won the LP in the Olympic Games in 1980, when triple jumps almost didn't exist in the ladies competition.
    Remember that Witt won the next 2 Olympics with only 2 kind of triples (toe-loop and salchow), and here years before that Denise Bielmann besides of her innovative, legendary spins, she did 3 Lutz ( a true one!!), 3 toe-loop, 3 Salchow and more 2 Axels in combinations !!

    http://youtu.be/x1_QiK85KRg

    She won the LP here but was only 4th overall because of her weak figures.

    A year later she won the European and World and retired as an amateur skater having a very long and attractive pro-carrier until her 40s, keeping her incredible shape and athleticism, winning several Pro Worldchampion titles constantly won the pro competitions over the great Yuka Sato, Yamaguchi and than Witt...

    Here is her performance winning the 1981. World title. With this she could easily win the Olympic in 1984,1988, 1992 when she was all active as a pro-skater!!!
    After 33 years this LP is still look familiar , very modern an COP-friendly!!!

    http://youtu.be/nLbW7lyjm-I

    In 1994, in her age of 31, she won over the new Olympic Champion, Oksana Baiul in the Pro Championships with this breathtaking performance, 13 years after her winning the World in 1981, with a performance like this:

    http://youtu.be/geTRwF5w8SY

    Incredible!

  8. #128
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    I wouldn't say Sasha was more musical than Michelle. Sasha had a lot of flair and beautiful positions, but I always felt Michelle had more choreographic vision and purpose in her movements. At her best, Michelle came close to having it all. There were simply no glaring weaknesses in her skating. She didn't have Sasha's flexibility but none of her positions were unsightly. She didn't have the most difficult jumps, but her jump content was still competitive during the era she was competing. She regularly attempted a 7 triple layout. On top of that, she had artistic vision and performance factor that were just unrivaled by anyone else.

  9. #129
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    For me it was Oksana Baiul at her peak. Unlike a lot of the ladies mention, she had great spins and all the triples through the lutz (although no 3-3).
    She also telegraphed her jumps more than other skaters of her era, which is one of the reasons why she wasn't a favorite of mine - JMHO.

  10. #130
    ♔Princess Li Zijun♔ Gigi13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by KwanIsALegand View Post
    Yeah, I guess being a skater with the most clean programs, winning 9 nationals and 5 worlds and two Olympic medals doesn't mean much?? You try and find another skater with Michelle's consistency. Lemme tell ya, in this sport consistency is the name of the game. It is what all skaters strive for and dream of. The reason she is always so highly praised is due to the fact that she brought down the house time and time again. If 'the only good thing about her was her spirals' than a lot of judges have a lot of explaining to do. She is an exceptional skater.
    You may not care for her skating, but to say she s overrated and that her spirals were her only asset is just ignorant and laughable.
    This all of this.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •