Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: A Female Skater Who Has Everything, Is It Possible?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    big jumps,
    skating skills ok - not loving her bent and weak ankles in skating,
    nice speed
    lack of flexibility
    mostly an expression of only 1 facial type involving frowning of eyebrows

overall not perfect
    I actually like your overall rating. For someone who was not a figure skating fan when Kwan was active, the qualities I appreciate about Kwan most are her consistency and fluid skating. The sports is definitely moving forward and so many top skaters now have passed her in several areas.

My dream skater who "has it all"=Yuna's jumps + Julia's flexibility + Akiko's performance.

Some of the current Russian skaters may get close to my ideal in some years.

Meryl Davis and Tessa Virtue.

Just kidding.

Maybe.

Custom Title
    Right now, Kim is probably the closest - she is "strong" in every area with no particular weaknesses, and she has the mental strength to deliver clean skates when it really counts.

But if I start picking apart individual aspects, I wouldn't say she is "perfect", or the best at all of them. For certain aspects, there are other female skaters who are better.

Also, no female skater has even attempted a quad in competition since Ando 10 years ago, have they? And only Asada continues to attempt the 3A, and not very successfully.

To answer the question - yes, anything is possible. But right now, I wouldn't say any female skater has "everything".

It would take Kim's jumps, skating skills, speed, mental strength and consistency... Czisny's spins... Asada's form, steps, lightness, gracefulness and rock-steady spirals... Korpi's elegance... Lipnitskaia's gymnastics and athletics... Suzuki's expressiveness... personality like Misha Ge (I'm having to resort to male examples :-P)... passion like Hanyu's 2012 WC... the ability to land clean 3A's and/or quads...etc etc. (Yes, I'm sure there are better examples than these).

I don't mean all of that (and more) could be wrapped up into a single FS at once - just that a skater with "everything" would be capable of doing all of those things, better than anyone else, when they wanted to. And I don't think any current female skater has all of those capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Yes, her name is Michelle Kwan.

I would have to answer no. Nature wasn't meant to be perfect. I think Yuna, Michelle, Shizuka and Kristi Yamaguchi come closest but all of them have deficiencies in some areas.

Custom Title
    Michelle lacked several things (the question is who had or has EVERYTHING), as does Yu-na: both lacked a triple axel; Yu-na's spiral position and layback are not text book quality. Michelle's layback was lacking too.

No, there has not been nor probably ever will be a skater who has everything.

Custom Title
    For me it was Oksana Baiul at her peak. Unlike a lot of the ladies mention, she had great spins and all the triples through the lutz (although no 3-3).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post

It would take Kim's jumps, skating skills, speed, mental strength and consistency... Czisny's spins... Asada's form, lightness, gracefulness and rock-steady spirals... Korpi's elegance... Lipnitskaia's gymnastics and athletics... Suzuki's expressiveness... personality like Misha Ge (I'm having to resort to male examples :-P)... passion like Hanyu's 2012 WC... the ability to land clean 3A's and/or quads...etc etc. (Yes, I'm sure there are better examples than these).
    Kim doesnt have the best skating skills, sure she does have speed
    but she has bent weak knees and ugly lower leg form when she strokes the ice

I'd take Kostners instead

Mashimaro on Ice
    It depends on what you mean by "everything". If it means the skater must have the most difficult jumps plus best artistry, then no, at least not yet. If it means the best overall package, then for me, it'll always be Michelle Kwan. Solid jumps, with beautiful landings + artistic vision + emotional connection. She also has an extensive catalog of programs that are always worthy of revisiting.

Yuna has the best overall package I've seen over the past 30 years. Mao is probably second.

If Yuna and Mao could do a fusion, then we would have a skater version of gogeta.

Custom Title
    She does not have the Olympic gold medal.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Strange that nobody has said Asada yet. In her peak she definitely had it all (unless you want to attack her flutz). Her 3Axel and 3Flip+3Loop were stunning and she combined them with footwork, spins, musicality, flexibility, and basic skating that were all excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Strange that nobody has said Asada yet. In her peak she definitely had it all (unless you want to attack her flutz). Her 3Axel and 3Flip+3Loop were stunning and she combined them with footwork, spins, musicality, flexibility, and basic skating that were all excellent.
    Yes. She did. And that is the reason despite her up and downs she has always been a contender.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    Yuna has the best overall package I've seen over the past 30 years. Mao is probably second.

If Yuna and Mao could do a fusion, then we would have a skater version of gogeta.
    Actually, Yuna and Mao almost perfectly fill each other's deficiencies. They would have all 6 triples, both -3T and -3Lo combinations, spirals and spins with great flexibility and speed, footwork, anything you can think of.

The perfect skater is the top 3. Yunas jumps, consistency and arms. Caro's presence and elegance and textbook tecqnique on all jumps. Mao's spins, flexibility and musicality.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast