Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: A Female Skater Who Has Everything, Is It Possible?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    While that was beautiful I think the real peak of here artistry was right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyUwtmch9w
    The "ice mics" at that competition were beyond annoying. I can't believe that was over 7 years ago already.

But yes that's definitely her best SP, like I said. Which is why I'm so disappointed by how she changed it this year. Of course, the CoP rules are part of the problem, but her current program still could have been more.

mylastduchess
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    That 3-3 downgrade still annoys me. It was just as clean as the one she did at Worlds and although the combination is not as good as 2 years before, Asada was so much more polished (the layback, sit spin, spirals especially looked better) in this performance.
    Yeah, except for the downgrade you cannot fault anything in this skate her spins are excellent maybe her best ever, choreography is exquisite , the music is sublime and this is one of the few times she got a true lutz

Quote Originally Posted by mylastduchess View Post
    Even though this one is not as well remembered I think this is her best short ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul7_q9kasuI
    I think this is her 2nd best! It's wonderful, although the one small point of contention I have with compared to the 2007 SP is her footwork sequence. The one in this program is just a little too convoluted and isn't able to interpret the music quite as well. Which, again, comes down to CoP rules.

Everyone was raving about Yu-Na's "Danse Macabre" that year, but this was a lot better for me. It's still beyond a joke how Yu-Na singled her lutz at 2008 GPF and beat this performance of Mao's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Everyone was raving about Yu-Na's "Danse Macabre" that year, but this was a lot better for me. It's still beyond a joke how Yu-Na singled her lutz at 2008 GPF and beat this performance of Mao's.
    Maybe because Yu Na's 3F-3T got 6.3 points higher than Mao's 3F-3L<, which is worth more than the base value of a 3Z?

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Maybe because Yu Na's 3F-3T got 6.3 points higher than Mao's 3F-3L<, which is worth more than the base value of a 3Z?
    Mao's 3F-3Lo was not deserving of a < with nearly straight -2 (-1.8 final). That was just poor judging under a flawed system.

Aside from the very inaccurate scoring of Mao's combination, she also got less PCS than Yu-Na, her step sequence was scored lower, and all of her spins were scored lower. That's a big NO.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post

Shizuka is the skater who has it all! No weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by luisARG View Post
    Akiko Suzuki!! the most artistic skater, nice jumps, nice spins, wonderful skating

I love the overall package of Akiko Suzuki. Her spins have improved a lot (i love them). She gets all the levels and presents those spins in the best of her ability.

But, spins aren't her strong suit. Yes, they are as good as she can make them, but they are still lagging behind a lot of other top skaters

Custom Title
    Of course there is one skater who has everything.

She has big jumps
    She has the edging and speed
    She has the extensions and spins
    She has multiple titles
    She has 2 flips
    She has the judges favoritism and fed support
    She is now consistent and over 140
    She has Tat, not Tut

She is Adelina

She will now win everyone's heart, including those who did not believe
    Those who did not believe, will now see how Adelina flys to the sky

Custom Title
    Even if there ever was a female (or male!) skater who embodied perfection, we could never get everyone to agree about her (or him). But there will always be skaters who give us moments of exhilarating skating that feel like perfection while we're watching them. And it's a wonderful thing!

Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    Of course there is one skater who has everything.

She has big jumps
    She has the edging and speed
    She has the extensions and spins
    She has multiple titles
    She has 2 flips
    She has the judges favoritism and fed support
    She is now consistent and over 140
    She has Tat, not Tut

She is Adelina

She will now win everyone's heart, including those who did not believe
    Those who did not believe, will now see how Adelina flys to the sky
    I see what you did there.

Custom Title
    Being to have the "best overall package" is VERY rare, and has nothing to do with the question, who has the best jumps, spins, "toepicks", the most gold medals etc.

This rare quality goes in my book, to (in chronological order)_

Janet Lynn.
    Denise Bielmann (I'm shocked that nobody mentioned her with her huge jumps, revolutionary spins, athleticism and incredibly long professional carrier until her 40s)
    Michelle Kwan
    Shizuka Arakawa
    Yu-Na Kim

There are dozens of other memorable lady skaters, but none of them having the "whole package".

Rinkside
    It all depends on what you mean by "everything". One person's "everything" may not be to someone else.

For example, I would say everything is a skater who can deliver a perfect performance with a good attitude. But what counts as a "perfect" performance? Let's just say a skater does come along by some chance and deliver a supposededly perfect performance. Someone else will always come along and pick on something. I may love this skater's spiral, but someone else may want it to show more flexibility. Everyone's tastes are different.

No matter how phenomenal a figure skater is, someone will always find something to judge.

Banned
    If I were to morph a Perfect Skater:

the Facial Beauty of Gracie Gold
    the Elegance of Dorothy Hamil
    the Jumps of Midori Ito
    the Lines and Flexibility of Julia
    the Consistency of Yuna
    the Body type of Carolina Kostner
    and Mao Asada's neck

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast