Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 130

Thread: A Female Skater Who Has Everything, Is It Possible?

  1. #91
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Which choreography did Yuna copy
    Sherezade, though a lot of people said it was a homage to Michelle K., of course if someone else does an element that Yuna does, even if she didn´t invented it, they are copying her

  2. #92
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,595
    Yes, a string of women had it all. Henie-her spins, speed, incredible. Peggy wa balletic and strong. Dorothy made the basics an art form along with Janet. Kristi was the most exquisite pro. Michelle at 17 was pure delight. Jumpers like Ito inspired Tonya, Miki, Mao, YuNa.

    It makes no sense to think anyone was perfect. Yuka Sato had no weaknesses. Has she been discussed? A rare talent indeed. Oh, such lucky people to see the great ladies in OLY. So jeaous

  3. #93
    Adiós Melon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Sherezade, though a lot of people said it was a homage to Michelle K., of course if someone else does an element that Yuna does, even if she didn´t invented it, they are copying her
    Ah I see. I also took it as homage to M.K. but I guess you're right. I thought choreo is not as muchcopied but the dress and music cuts are definitely similar.
    I wonder if there are more?

  4. #94
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Ah I see. I also took it as homage to M.K. but I guess you're right. I thought choreo is not as muchcopied but the dress and music cuts are definitely similar.
    I wonder if there are more?
    Michelle Kwan and Yuna Kim also both skated to Miss Saigon. Here is Michelle's performance. Melon I am sure you remember Yuna's performance so there's probably no need to link it . But here it is anyway - a 7 triple performance that broke the LP record at the time. Very different music cuts, performances, and choreography so I think this one's a coincidence.

  5. #95
    I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Michelle Kwan and Yuna Kim also both skated to Miss Saigon. (...) Very different music cuts, performances, and choreography so I think this one's a coincidence.
    I would bet quite a few Won that Yu-Na Kim doesn't even know that Michelle Kwan skated to Miss Saigon when she was... 12!
    Since I wasn't aware, thanks for the link! I'll forgive Michelle for that very "early 90's junior-not really tasteful" music cut, including a 30 second part that has nothing to do with Miss Saigon and sounds a bit like something out of Vangelis' Conquest of Paradise, but that can't be it since it only came out in 1994.
    Maybe Michelle was inspired by Patricia Neske's Miss Saigon LP from the year before, since Neske originated from LA and trained alongside Michelle from time to time...
    http://7.hidemyass.com/ip-1/encoded/...Y0o1LWZIYVE%3D *

    * search for "Patricia Neske LP 1992 World Figure Skating Championships" in regular youtube and you'll have a much better quality. I live in Germany aka Geoblock Hell, so I can't!

  6. #96
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Sherezade, though a lot of people said it was a homage to Michelle K. [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Michelle Kwan and Yuna Kim also both skated to Miss Saigon. Here is Michelle's performance.
    Fun fact: Michelle Kwan also skated to Gershwin's "Concerto in F," the music that Yuna Kim skated to when she won the Olympics. Maybe it wasn't "Piano" Concerto in F, but it's still the same music.

    1992 Junior Nationals LP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42l8lZ7m9qY

  7. #97
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Fun fact: Michelle Kwan also skated to Gershwin's "Concerto in F," the music that Yuna Kim skated to when she won the Olympics. Maybe it wasn't "Piano" Concerto in F, but it's still the same music.

    1992 Junior Nationals LP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42l8lZ7m9qY
    How amazing to find that Michelle also skated to our friend the Piano Concerto in F. Also amazing to realize that this is the year in which she started her climb into the senior ranks, and a mere two years before she won silver at senior Nationals and almost made it to the Olympics.

  8. #98
    Adiós Melon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    513
    I'm amazed how similar the music cuts are for all these programs . And I do see glimpse and poses and Yuna took from Michelle, but I think it makes it more similar because of the music cuts and dress. That Piano Concerto was a surprise!!! Never thought anyone would've skated that piece

  9. #99
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    I'm amazed how similar the music cuts are for all these programs . And I do see glimpse and poses and Yuna took from Michelle, but I think it makes it more similar because of the music cuts and dress. That Piano Concerto was a surprise!!! Never thought anyone would've skated that piece
    Well, now you know!

    At least Yuna can say that Michelle never skated to anything remotely resembling "Homage to Korea."

  10. #100
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Fun fact: Michelle Kwan also skated to Gershwin's "Concerto in F," the music that Yuna Kim skated to when she won the Olympics. Maybe it wasn't "Piano" Concerto in F, but it's still the same music.

    1992 Junior Nationals LP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42l8lZ7m9qY
    It's the same music. There is little that is new in figure skating music (Emily Hughes also used that music, didn't she? Also, Karen Magnusson at the '72 Olympics).

    Another fun fact is to look at all of the skaters who finished above Michelle at that competition (Michelle came in 8th, I think). None ever achieved anything at the senior level. And they had no clue at the time that they had beaten a future figure skating legend!

  11. #101
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,314
    Yu Na also skated an exhibition to Reflection, which Michelle skated to back in 1998.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBRJMBQ2Crg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B_pCDjmc04

    The Lark Ascending always reminded me of Michelle's Lyra Angelica.

  12. #102
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Winners of U.S Juniors rarely amounted to anything, even when the U.S dominated ladies skating. Tara Lipinski never won the U.S Juniors either, coming 2nd in 1995 to Sydne Vogel, who would take 4th at one Senior Nationals, and never again finish in the top 10 at Nationals. Someone named Jennifer Karl (a couple years older than Michelle, and much older than Tara) won the year before that and looked like a novice skater competing against Tara at the Olympic festival later that same year. I dont think she ever even competed at Senior Nationals.
    Not just the winner, but the top 7 faded from view while the 8th place finisher became one of the all-time greats. Who'd a thunk it? I couldn't find a list of US Jr. champs. Didn't Kimmie Meissner win? And Gracie Gold, maybe?

  13. #103
    축복, 축도 RABID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Yu Na also skated an exhibition to Reflection, which Michelle skated to back in 1998.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBRJMBQ2Crg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B_pCDjmc04

    The Lark Ascending always reminded me of Michelle's Lyra Angelica.
    It is amusing to think that YuNa as a little girl was so smitten with Michelle that every time she took to the ice, she was a mini-Michelle Kwan right down to her facial expressions, always skating with sublime brilliance that always ended up with her adoring fans showering her with scores of flowers and standing ovations. And now, how many little girls take to the ice pretending they are mini-YuNas performing, of course, to constant standing ovations and of course ALWAYS winning gold medals?

  14. #104
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    [...] YuNa as a little girl was so smitten with Michelle that every time she took to the ice, she was a mini-Michelle Kwan right down to her facial expressions, always skating with sublime brilliance that always ended up with her adoring fans showering her with scores of flowers and standing ovations.
    This is like, so accurate that it would be painful to deny.

    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    And now, how many little girls take to the ice pretending they are mini-YuNas performing, of course, to constant standing ovations and of course ALWAYS winning gold medals?
    You never know.

    Yuna isn't retired yet, homegirl. And Yuna came along in the senior ranks more than a decade after Michelle started her own career in seniors. It may be a while yet.

  15. #105
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,655
    it's not possible, which is what makes the sport so interesting. But sometimes when I like to play a game in my head and pick three figure skating ladies to combine into the perfect skater. I.E. take their best attributes and subtract their weaknesses.

    What if we combined: Yuna Kim, Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen.

    Then we'd have a ladies skater with. Speed, huge jumps and great technique. Terrific musicality. (from Yuna) Solid skating skills, passion and artistry and ice presence (from Kwan), Perfect positions, extensions, great flair (Sasha)

    What more could you want???

    Well... what if we were to throw in Ito's triple axel? Or Alyssa's perfectly centered spins? Lu Chen's otherworldliness? Someone like Mathman should do a spread sheet.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •