Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ladies Short Program

Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Michelle Kwan didn't have the best flexibility, but most people loved her spiral sequence.
    Hmm. Well, I didn't like her spiral sequence (the one that the CoP forced her to put in her program), but I loooooved her arabesque spiral.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Hmm. Well, I didn't like her spiral sequence (the one that the CoP forced her to put in her program), but I loooooved her arabesque spiral.
    Huh?

Kwan was "forced" (required) to put a spiral sequence in her programs by the short program required elements rules in effect for her entire junior and senior career, as well as the well-balanced freeskate rules of the early 2000s.

Are you saying you liked her 6.0-era spiral sequences but you disliked these three sequences and these three only?

Or you didn't like any of her spiral sequences, but you did like some isolated spirals from programs where they weren't required?

Or what?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Everettguy View Post
    Is it possible for a ladies short program to include 4 triple jumps? For instance Mao Asada could try to add a triple / triple since she attempts a 3 axel instead of a double. Are there any ladies who could possibly land a 4 triple short program?

Sample jump layout for Mao:

- 3 Axel
    - 3 Flip
    - 3 Loop + 3 Toe Loop
    That would essentially be the layout of many of the men before 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Huh?

Kwan was "forced" (required) to put a spiral sequence in her programs by the short program required elements rules in effect for her entire junior and senior career, as well as the well-balanced freeskate rules of the early 2000s.

Are you saying you liked her 6.0-era spiral sequences but you disliked these

three sequences and these three only?

Or you didn't like any of her spiral sequences, but you did like some isolated spirals from programs where they weren't required?

Or what?
    Speaking for myself, the three-position spiral sequences that Michelle put in her short programs were not as heart-stopping as the long extended change of edge forward arabesque spirals that were the highlight of some of her long programs. At 2004 Nationals LP Dick Button comments: "Michelle is taking full advantage of the new rules by increasing her difficulty while shortening her spiral (which is still one of the iconic moves of ladies figure skating)."

Plus, for the first half of her career Michelle did a lot of long glides and mini-spirals as unscored choreographic embellishments. These gradually disappeared. We don't see this kind of skating much any more.

On the other hand, I just re-watched the short and long programs from 1998 nationals (my Christmas present to myself ). In the Rachmaninov the three position spiral section was very cool -- the first position could have stood alone --, while the spiral in Lyra Angelica was rather perfunctory, squeezed in among eight jumping passes.

By the way, in the 2005 worlds LP that you posted, it looked like she essentially missed the second of the three spiral positions altogether.

Custom Title
    I really want to see Julia Lipnitskaia, Ms. flexible, do a long spiral sequence.
    The more I watch her, the more I tend to think the reason why we haven't seem a long one is that she cannot. She has the flexibility to do a beautiful one, but she does not have the strength, as she cannot hold lots of her flex positions for more than three seconds. Adelina is a better combo of flex+strength.

Custom Title
    Michelle Kwan didn't have the best flexibility, but most people loved her spiral sequence.
    She was able to get her free leg high and strike a strong position, though. To me, if the ISU is to incorporate spirals they should be considered more artistic than technical.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    She was able to get her free leg high and strike a strong position, though. To me, if the ISU is to incorporate spirals they should be considered more artistic than technical.
    agree!

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I think I might be the only person who doesn't like Julia Lipnitskaya's hyper-flexibility.
    No, you aren't

Custom Title
    The US ladies (Kerrigan, Kwan, Bobek & Cohen) had amazing spirals. It just made a really beautiful break in the program.
    I long for a simple camel spin with no skate to the head............
    Maybe I'm getting old !.

♥ My Mirai's Golden Pond ♥ Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    I just want the ISU to bring back the spiral.
    THIS!!

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    THIS!!
    Amen! I really miss a good spiral sequence!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    The more I watch her, the more I tend to think the reason why we haven't seem a long one is that she cannot. She has the flexibility to do a beautiful one, but she does not have the strength, as she cannot hold lots of her flex positions for more than three seconds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=CGusKA5Y3QU#t=50

Omg, the spiral is fabulous!

like 2 seconds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2