Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pairs SP - 2014 Russian Championships

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Well, what I wanted to say is that I don't really like them artistically; certainly S/K are not V/T or S/S, but at least they show some passion, have an interesting choreography and good lines, B/L leave me COLD, they are like mummies skating and he is the living example of what "not graceful" means
    Larionov is what is called a " truck driver skater"
    with the likes of Stanislav Morozov and even John Coughlin

Custom Title
    Well, what I wanted to say is that I don't really like them artistically; certainly S/K are not V/T or S/S, but at least they show some passion, have an interesting choreography and good lines, B/L leave me COLD, they are like mummies skating and he is the living example of what "not graceful" means
    Agreed. I personally prefer S/K, especially this season. But it was just weird that the only thing everyone points out is "her tiny jumps".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MsLiinaLii View Post
    Agreed. I personally prefer S/K, especially this season. But it was just weird that the only thing everyone points out is "her tiny jumps".
    B/L are also inconsistent, to be fair they have nice lifts and one of the best 3 Twist but that's it
    S/K are SP headcases but have improved at least also S/K are younger on average and have more time to improve

She is 21, Fedor is 23
    Vera is 20 but Yuri is 27

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    B/L are also inconsistent, to be fair they have nice lifts and one of the best 3 Twist but that's it
    S/K are SP headcases but have improved at least also S/K are younger on average and have more time to improve

She is 21, Fedor is 23
    Vera is 20 but Yuri is 27
    Not really... This season: Skate American clean SP, Warsaw Cup one mistake (spiral), Cup of Russia two mistakes (spiral and throw flip), Universiade clean SP, here clean SP. Three mistakes out of five major competitions is not really being "headcases", a lot of skaters would be actually called "consistent" with this kind of performances record

Banned
    Not really... This season: Skate American clean SP, Warsaw Cup one mistake (spiral), Cup of Russia two mistakes (spiral and throw flip), Universiade clean SP, here clean SP. Three mistakes out of five major competitions is not really being "headcases", a lot of skaters would be actually called "consistent" with this kind of performances record
    I was referring to S/K SP record last season
    they have improved a lot in their consistency this season

75 for B/L? I really don't understand why their federation (and a lot of people) like them so much...
    I think the fed likes them so much simply because they score well internationally.

I like them because they have beautiful twists, lifts, and death spirals. I do not think they are artistic geniuses but I think she has a certain delicacy and grace in her skating. She is ballerina like and her posture is impeccable. i don't see him as the total truck driver some try to paint him as- for instance I think he is better than coughlin- however, i think he clearly is not up to her level on those qualities and in fact think the fact that she is so good at those things hurts people's image of him more than is warranted. they also can hit some great positions- watch their exhibition from this year. I actually think they'd be great show skaters- better than competitive ones.

I myself do think they have some grasp of artistry (at least as great of that of s/k CURRENTLY, though I do see S/K as having more range and potential).

That all said, I don't delude myself that they can break through to the very top level unless they are able to fix the side by side jumps. at this point, I doubt that can/will happen. However, as a second tier team I thoroughly enjoy watching them, despite their flaws.

At the moment I do believe realistically B/L have both the potential and likelihood of scoring better and placing higher than S/K internationally, and I think this is why the Rus. Fed. will be pushing them over S/K for this season. Neither team at this time is particularly consistent. While I personally would not go so far as to call S/K headcases, i do think their brand of inconsistency is also more dangerous than B/L's. B/L mess up SbS jumps and not much else. S/K might mess up anything or nothing, from death spirals and spins on up. However, next season, especially if S/K can get a consistent triple twist and become slightly more consistent in general, I do expect that to flip.

Banned
    Top 3 SP Pairs
    Picture at the press conference:
    http://instagram.com/p/iT6KmAR9ew/
    http://instagram.com/p/iT5xjyR9eA/

On the Ice
    does anyone know what happened to kavaguti and smirnov? did they retire?

smirnov got injured a couple months back, needed surgery and has not recovered enough to compete here.

Custom Title
    Actually, Stolbova-Klimov don't look like a Russian pair. They look like a Canadian/US pair (and that's not in a good sense). Not trying to be offensive, but little touches, like posture, stretching legs when they are supposed to be stretched, pointing toes etc would make such a difference!

I agree that Bazarova's jumps are bad, but side by side jumps are only 2 elements out of 12 in the FS and only 1 element out of 7 in the SP. And their other elements are usually pretty reliable and beautiful to watch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Actually, Stolbova-Klimov don't look like a Russian pair. They look like a Canadian/US pair (and that's not in a good sense). Not trying to be offensive, but little touches, like posture, stretching legs when they are supposed to be stretched, pointing toes etc would make such a difference!

I agree that Bazarova's jumps are bad, but side by side jumps are only 2 elements out of 12 in the FS and only 1 element out of 7 in the SP. And their other elements are usually pretty reliable and beautiful to watch.
    looking like a US/Canadian Pair ? I dont think so, most have bad posture and lift positions

Stolbova-Klimov improved a lot on their lifts, look at her extension and positions
    of course she is not as naturally flexible as Vera but she is landing most of her jumps and they are huge
    I can also say the same for Tarasova/Morosov, not surprised they score high when they are clean

Bazarova really needs to work on her jumps

Custom Title
    looking like a US/Canadian Pair ? I dont think so, most have bad posture and lift positions

Stolbova-Klimov improved a lot on their lifts, look at her extension and positions
    of course she is not as naturally flexible as Vera but she is landing most of her jumps and they are huge
    I can also say the same for Tarasova/Morosov, not surprised they score high when they are clean

Bazarova really needs to work on her jumps
    Bazarova definitely needs to improve jumps, but Stolbova needs to have the word ballet explained. (and not only explained, but put it in practice.) They may have improved slightly but there is still a long way to go! At the moment I will rather watch Bazarova mess up 2 elements in her FS but the rest being very watchable, rather than my aesthetic feelings hurt from the whole program of Stolbova/Klimov. Bazarova seems unable to hit a bad position. she knows her body and knows how to use it to look elegant. Stolbova looks to me like a tank. In fact, watching S/K to me is sort of similar to watching Duhamel/Radford or Denney/Coughlin. No matter how technically great Duhamel-Radford are, I just can't enjoy them.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    my aesthetic feelings hurt from the whole program of Stolbova/Klimov. (...) Stolbova looks to me like a tank.
    Ouch. Instead of asking if you feel better now, I'll just say that I strongly disagree.

Merry Christmas to everybody!

Banned
    Bazarova definitely needs to improve jumps, but Stolbova needs to have the word ballet explained. (and not only explained, but put it in practice.) They may have improved slightly but there is still a long way to go! At the moment I will rather watch Bazarova mess up 2 elements in her FS but the rest being very watchable, rather than my aesthetic feelings hurt from the whole program of Stolbova/Klimov. Bazarova seems unable to hit a bad position. she knows her body and knows how to use it to look elegant. Stolbova looks to me like a tank. In fact, watching S/K to me is sort of similar to watching Duhamel/Radford or Denney/Coughlin. No matter how technically great Duhamel-Radford are, I just can't enjoy them.
    are you serious ?
    Ksenia Stolbova isn't that bad, its too much comparing her to Duhamel

Duhamel is a deplorable skater with her horrendous form and atrocious lift positions

Custom Title
    are you serious ?
    Ksenia Stolbova isn't that bad, its too much comparing her to Duhamel

Duhamel is a deplorable skater with her horrendous form and atrocious lift positions
    Yes, I am serious. Stolbova has pretty much the same style as Duhamel or Denney. Untidy, sloppy. That's why I wrote that Stolbova/Klimov don't look to me like a Russian pair but more like a Canadian or US pair. Could that be the reason why are S/K so liked in the USA and Canada?

I am not sure if I would call Duhamel deplorable. Just not very aesthetically pleasing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast