Age and the Female Figure Skater, e.g.: Alissa Czisny | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Age and the Female Figure Skater, e.g.: Alissa Czisny

Nadia01

Final Flight
Even if she's totally healthy AND EVEN INJURY-FREE -- and her hips don't bother her at all -- no. She's finished. She was never a fierce competitor and her jumps were so iffy. You need both to be successful.

Selene

On the Ice
So, Akiko Suzuki just won the 2013 Japanese Nationals at the age of 28 and will be 1 month shy of her 29th birthday at Sochi. Maria Butyrskaya won Europeans in 2002 at the age of 29 and was 4 months shy of her 30th birthday when she placed 6th in Salt Lake City.

OK, so, wouldn’t seem feasible that a healthy Alissa Czisny could, at least, be competitive for a few more seasons (maybe not all the way to the 2018 Winter Games as she would be 8 months past 30 years-but who knows?), and be able to reclaim the US National title, and perhaps even a Four Continents and/or a World medal?

Of course she would have to want to continue competing (say she does), does anyone else other than me think she could hold her own against the young phenoms climbing the ranks now, especially since they are all due to hit their growth spurts, which we all know can reek havoc on a female figure skater?

Anyone with me on this?

Alissa is a beautiful skater, but her hip injuries have ended her competitive career. She was never a strong jumper, and her technical ability has declined even further because of her injuries.

This topic is irrelevant, because Alissa doesn't plan to compete anymore. I saw her skate at the DSC Champions Ice Revue last weekend, and the announcer made it clear that Alissa has decided to end her competitive career and that she plans on skating in shows now.

Tippi1963

Rinkside
Alissa is a beautiful skater, but her hip injuries have ended her competitive career. She was never a strong jumper, and her technical ability has declined even further because of her injuries.

This topic is irrelevant, because Alissa doesn't plan to compete anymore. I saw her skate at the DSC Champions Ice Revue last weekend, and the announcer made it clear that Alissa has decided to end her competitive career and that she plans on skating in shows now.

Irrelevant? No. She may, eventually, not be "competitive" again, but she sure is going to keep trying! See the article: http://www.freep.com/article/20140105/COL38/301050069/alissa-czisny-sochi-injuries-jeff-seidel