Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Age and the Female Figure Skater, e.g.: Alissa Czisny

Quote Originally Posted by Victura View Post
    I don't believe Alissa has had any injuries past the two hip surgeries. It sounded like in her comeback she had good days and bad days in training (per the interview with Yuka Sato with the Skating Lesson this fall), which is pretty standard for anyone coming back from injury, and hip injuries are particularly tough to come back from.

She hasn't said whether she'll continue to compete, but if she does want to come back and try, I certainly would love to see her pull a Ryan Bradley and go out on a high note. Otherwise, she is perfectly suited for shows and I hope to see her performing in an exhibition setting, perhaps even at the gala at Nationals this year.
    Victura: she did have an injury to her calf muscle that she sustained while training for the 2011 GPF. The doctors said she wouldn't cause it any additional harm by skating on it, but her eventual placement in that GPF told another story. I can't find the article now, but I'm pretty sure I read that that injury may have led to the first torn labrum, which was not healed enough for training and competing at 2012 Worlds. I wish she could have skipped the 2012-2013 season altogether to heal slowly and carefully, then maybe she could have avoided the second tear. Oh well, "If 'ifs' and 'buts' were 'candy' and 'nuts'…"

Thanks Tippi. I was actually responding to pangtongfan's post that said Alissa had another injury after the two hip surgeries, which I don't think she has, or at least not one that has been made public. The calf injury prior to her hip being diagnosed was apparently something that was caused by the torn labrum in the hip to compensate for the hip instability. The second time around she dislocated her hip (not sure if the labrum was torn again), but the dislocation itself is something that can happen easily for people who have had labral tears. Even if she had taken extra time to recover, I'm not sure it could've necessarily been prevented, and she did take a good 6 months to come back to competition. From seeing her short and long program at that Wisconsin competition prior to the fall on the flip, she actually looked in very good shape and seemed to have recovered quite well from the initial surgery.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippi1963 View Post
    So, Akiko Suzuki just won the 2013 Japanese Nationals at the age of 28 and will be 1 month shy of her 29th birthday at Sochi. Maria Butyrskaya won Europeans in 2002 at the age of 29 and was 4 months shy of her 30th birthday when she placed 6th in Salt Lake City.

OK, so, wouldn’t seem feasible that a healthy Alissa Czisny could, at least, be competitive for a few more seasons (maybe not all the way to the 2018 Winter Games as she would be 8 months past 30 years-but who knows?), and be able to reclaim the US National title, and perhaps even a Four Continents and/or a World medal?

Of course she would have to want to continue competing (say she does), does anyone else other than me think she could hold her own against the young phenoms climbing the ranks now, especially since they are all due to hit their growth spurts, which we all know can reek havoc on a female figure skater?

Anyone with me on this?
    Akiko and Maria didn't have major injuries that required surgery that is totally different. And Kavaguti is a very rare fighter - rare means it doesn't happen often so the odds that Alissa falls in that category isn't great.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    As much as I love Alissa and never ever want her to stop skating, I would have to agree that she's probably done. Her hip injury is a very severe one and I doubt that she'll ever regain all of her technical abilities. I know Michelle Kwan had a similar injury and was planning a comeback which she didn't go through with. Of course I wouldn't really know for sure, but it would seem the extent of Michelle's injury probably wasn't as severe as Alissa's and she had given it plenty of time to heal. Also Michelle likely had better hip joint stability than Alissa to begin with, judging from degree of flexibility and hip turnout. There does seem to be a correlation between hip joint and jump stability. Alissa was never a good jumper in the first place. Factoring in age makes it even more unlikely. Yuna is several years younger than Alissa and is already saying her body is getting worn out and everything is so much harder than before. Plus she started skating much later than Alissa and has had time off from competitive training. I think that illustrates just how tough Alissa really is to have kept on going. However, I would say that if Shizuka Arakawa wanted to make a comeback she could probably pull it off. I believe she's in her 30's now but is still in great shape. The difference is that Shizuka has reliable jump technique and never had any major injuries.
    How in the world did Arakawa get into this thread lol. The problem is ARakawa has to get out of Japan first lol.

Custom Title
    Kavaguti's injury was a dislocated SHOULDER which in itself is hard to heal, but far less disruptive to a career than a torn hip labrum. Surgery can permanently correct a dislocated shoulder.

Right now, K/S's problem is Smirnov's injury and recovery, not hers.

Alissa appeared in a Detroit skating show this weekend. She did her SP from Regionals, with just one jump, the 2A.

Even if she's totally healthy AND EVEN INJURY-FREE -- and her hips don't bother her at all -- no. She's finished. She was never a fierce competitor and her jumps were so iffy. You need both to be successful.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippi1963 View Post
    So, Akiko Suzuki just won the 2013 Japanese Nationals at the age of 28 and will be 1 month shy of her 29th birthday at Sochi. Maria Butyrskaya won Europeans in 2002 at the age of 29 and was 4 months shy of her 30th birthday when she placed 6th in Salt Lake City.

OK, so, wouldn’t seem feasible that a healthy Alissa Czisny could, at least, be competitive for a few more seasons (maybe not all the way to the 2018 Winter Games as she would be 8 months past 30 years-but who knows?), and be able to reclaim the US National title, and perhaps even a Four Continents and/or a World medal?

Of course she would have to want to continue competing (say she does), does anyone else other than me think she could hold her own against the young phenoms climbing the ranks now, especially since they are all due to hit their growth spurts, which we all know can reek havoc on a female figure skater?

Anyone with me on this?
    Alissa is a beautiful skater, but her hip injuries have ended her competitive career. She was never a strong jumper, and her technical ability has declined even further because of her injuries.

This topic is irrelevant, because Alissa doesn't plan to compete anymore. I saw her skate at the DSC Champions Ice Revue last weekend, and the announcer made it clear that Alissa has decided to end her competitive career and that she plans on skating in shows now.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Alissa is a beautiful skater, but her hip injuries have ended her competitive career. She was never a strong jumper, and her technical ability has declined even further because of her injuries.

This topic is irrelevant, because Alissa doesn't plan to compete anymore. I saw her skate at the DSC Champions Ice Revue last weekend, and the announcer made it clear that Alissa has decided to end her competitive career and that she plans on skating in shows now.
    Irrelevant? No. She may, eventually, not be "competitive" again, but she sure is going to keep trying! See the article: http://www.freep.com/article/2014010...es-jeff-seidel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2