Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Well, at least, if Plushenko doesn't go to Europeans, Menshov would -hopefully!- get the 3rd spot.
That would be some kind of redemption for last year, when the russian federation didn't let him go - despite his 3rd place at nationals and a petition signed by many russian skaters to send him!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I would loooove for Plush to go to Europeans, (Because i really want to see him live)
You'd think he wont, Because he wouldn't want to risk finishing 10th :biggrin:,
They DO preserve his image so well in Russia,
But if the SP there doesn't work, he could always say he went head on for the title and to prove he's the true champion,
But injured himself in the SP like last year :laugh:
He's intending to do that at Olympics anyways ...

spread beagle

Rinkside
If he go for Europeans and skates everything and finish 15th or something like that, that would make him ultimate champion.

I think preserving image is overrated. Skating feel like boxing where you need clean record of winning? It is wrong approach to competition. I hope it is not how Plushenko thinks.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
It was based on the last time she skated at Japanese nationals and her attempts to get the Japanese nationals. His level of bombing here was like Suguri.

Yes, Just like suguri ...

because people are talking about her constantly, She was 2nd at her nationals and landed some major top level elements .

I get that he bombed today, So does he,
But some people here are just lurking soooo hard

Frenchie

Medalist
I think preserving image is overrated. Skating feel like boxing where you need clean record of winning? It is wrong approach to competition. I hope it is not how Plushenko thinks.

I agree 100%. Katarina Witt came back for the 1994 Olympics and knew she would have to beat Marina Kielmann to get there. Kielmann was the European bronze medalist, 6th at Worlds and would later that year become 4th at Worlds.
Many odds were speaking against Witt, but she still went for it with all she had.
She ended up succeeding. She beat Kielmann at German Nationals, but since the German Olympic Committee said they'd send the best 2 of 3 from Euros to the Olympics, she went to Europeans and beat Kielmann again. That's a great champion. And she blessed the audience allover the world with a great Olympic Moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrprWr-kUM
Her free at German Nationals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVnIpQtMXF0

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Plushenko should go to Europeans if he wants to be even considered for the team event... So far he hasn't done anything to earn a spot over Kovtun. It's weird that he's being so vocal about doing the team event and then Kovtun the individual event as that is against the rules with Russia only having one spot.

Gigi13

On the Ice
Congrats to Kovtun and I think Plushenko should go to Euros because there's only one spot and he wants to do the team and give Kovtun the individual but I don't know how that's going to work since there's only one spot :scratch:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Shoot!
I'd have had the perfect result if Dmitriev had been able to ask his old pal Candeloro to skate the D'Artagnan program for his son!
my predictions:
Men:
1.) Maxim Kovtun
2.) Evgeny Plushenko
3.) Sergei Voronov
4.) Konstantin Menshov
5.) Artur Dmitriev Jr.

6.) Adian Pitkeev

I actually got 3-5 perfectly, but obviously switched the top two. I think that gives me 65/75. Not a bad day in the office.

My Ice Dance predictions, OTOH....:slink:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko should go to Europeans if he wants to be even considered for the team event... So far he hasn't done anything to earn a spot over Kovtun. It's weird that he's being so vocal about doing the team event and then Kovtun the individual event as that is against the rules with Russia only having one spot.

It's not agianst the rules. Claims of injury can be proven in case of injury withdrawl.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
So far he hasn't done anything to earn a spot over Kovtun.

His SP here and his LP from the competition earlier this year.

It seems Plushenko was going for two Quads in this LP at Nationals. Not very smart. He should stick with the layout he did earlier this year.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Hanyu can quickly correct his weaknesses, extension, posture, movements, but only if he is self aware enough and tweak choreography. Also ditch the costume...it's too garish-youth for the Olympics, honestly.
Battle of TES will make Hanyu nervous, esp. the 4S, he has time to train, so good luck to both.

Given Hanyu's scores and placement in the last two competitions, I don't think he has many weaknesses to work on. Yes, he needs to land the 4S, but everything else is pretty spot on. :clap:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's not agianst the rules. Claims of injury can be proven in case of injury withdrawl.

Right. And who will be the doctors confirming this? Let's just confirm with the Russian doctors on site to ensure any "injury" is legit. Just make sure it's before they collect their bags of money to corroborate any "injury". :sarcasm:

He's said before the Sochi competition that he is intending on competing in team and then letting Kovtun do individual. He must be a fortune teller then if he's predicting that he will somehow "get injured" between the team and individual event so Kovtun can replace "his spot". He's especially arrogant to think the individual spot is his to give up, when he just lost to Kovtun quite convincingly.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
His SP here and his LP from the competition earlier this year.

It seems Plushenko was going for two Quads in this LP at Nationals. Not very smart. He should stick with the layout he did earlier this year.

Kovtun's COR SP was way better than Plushenko's here (and likely would have beaten him if he did the 3T and didn't put the hand down on the 4T). And Kovtun has landed 2 of 3 quads in several freeskates this year. If you put Plushenko's best SP and LP this season against Kovtun's best, I would have the latter ahead.

But head to head matters too and Plushenko hasn't beaten Kovtun when it counts.. nationals in an Olympic year. And it wasn't just a few mistakes between them... Kovtun scored 18 points higher TES.

Also suggesting Plushenko should go back to his one quad layout and go in place of Kovtun who attempts 3 quads is even more insulting to Kovtun's bid. It would also be hugely hypocritical of him to do so seeing as how he criticizes Lysacek's dumbed down technical content in Vancouver.

Right now there should be no doubt that Kovtun is the front runner of the Russian men. Although the Russian fed will probably send Plu even if Kovtun wins at Euros lest they have less buzz in Sochi.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Right. And who will be the doctors confirming this? Let's just confirm with the Russian doctors on site to ensure any "injury" is legit. Just make sure it's before they collect their bags of money to corroborate any "injury". :sarcasm:

He's said before the Sochi competition that he is intending on competing in team and then letting Kovtun do individual. He must be a fortune teller then if he's predicting that he will somehow "get injured" between the team and individual event so Kovtun can replace "his spot". ...

:agree:
How convenient :eek: for Russia that Plushenko is a "fortune teller." :bang:

spread beagle

Rinkside

I don't understand public announcement of shananigan plan either. But, in fairness, I think with Plushenko history of recent injury and surgery, he only has to tell about pain and strange feeling in back and no doctor will dispute, not even Canadian skaters doctor.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Given Hanyu's scores and placement in the last two competitions, I don't think he has many weaknesses to work on. Yes, he needs to land the 4S, but everything else is pretty spot on. :clap:

Actually he does, and his scores at internationals eg. TEB are probably more accurate than those he received in Japan. However, on this site, it seems only unanimous opinions are allowed even when one has good points to back up a contrarian opinion, otherwise you're deemed a troll. I see different strengths and weaknesses with SS of both, but I am only allowed to criticize Kovtun or Plushenko and praise Hanyu. I am amazed when I wrote Kovtun has good SS and will be competitor with Chan and Hanyu I received such vehement condemnation. It isn't healthy. YH comes across as a great guy off the rink. However, even if Picasso was a jerk irl it doesn't diminish his greatness. I'm a skating uber, not a skater uber. I don't attach myself to any particular skater - skaters are as good to me as their current season's skate, which can go up or down with the next.

Constructive criticism will help, not hurt a skater.

I think GPF has set the direction for Sochi, this Russian Nationals too, that high TES will enable a younger skater to beat a veteran. Chan has to deliver his A game, there won't be room for big technical mistakes. Otherwise, it's YH vs Kovtun.

Frenchie

Medalist

Oh, absolutely! Since Plushenko announced today that he'd have an injury on Feb 10th, why don't we save ourselves some time and also get the Doc to already write a medical report to confirm he'll be injured that day.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I think Plushy's ego got in the way of Da Plan. Sit and wait isn't his thing!