Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont think Plushenko would accept winning this competition with this free skate- probably the worse I ve seen ever.His expression at the end was saying a lot..

seniorita

Record Breaker
Tatjana Flade twitted @Tatjana21: Plushenko in press conf: Doesn't really know what went wrong, felt quite good, maybe too confident. Will continue to work hard"

qwertyskates

Medalist
As I observed before at GPF, it's not Kovtun waiting to step in should Plushenko fail to recover, but Plushenko waiting to see if Kovtun is ready for the passing of the torch. It's not a surprise that he held back to bring about what the Russian Fed planned. He even had a cheeky expression at the end. Plushenko isn't the big egomaniac he's made out to be, this medley is his swan song to Russia, not his "best of" to the world. I believe Plushenko could beat Kovtun but he held back, this is why Mishin is unhappy. I respect Plushenko all the more for it.

Kovtun would give the others a run with 4 or 5 quads at Sochi and home advantage will do it for PCS. Though green, he skates in a matured, sophisticated and traditonal manner. He's a logical choice to have a go at Chan and Hanyu.

Assumming that Kovtun skates well, he will be close to Hanyu for TES (owning him at 4S) but beat him at PCS, Flamenco vs Jazz/Pop Electric Guitar, Tchaikovsky vs Nino Rota... his programs are more classic and epic. He will beat Chan at TES even though he will lose to Chan in PCS. Unfortunately for Chan, Japan GPF showed how a veteran champion can be beaten by new blood, via TES and boosted home advantage but slightly lower PCS.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A very reliable reporter said on FSU that a Russian journalist told her that Piseev "thinks that Kovtun is now the best bet for the Olympic spot but its too early to decide". Plushenko said in his interview, after the LP, that before nationals, he had no intentions of going to Euros but maybe he will change his mind.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Now I re watched it this is a meltdown of Nice 2000 proportions , it is so unlike him, yesterday his jumps we're spot on , anyway I hope this was not his last skate ever :(

marcolee925

Rinkside
The landing of the first quad wasn't solid enough to do a combo there. I guess he could have added some more combinations. He only did one (sequence). If he just added 2toe and 2toe/2toe at the end of anything, especially in the second half, that would have been a fair amount of extra points.

He lost some competitions that way, like the last Olympics.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Assumming that Kovtun skates well, he will be close to Hanyu for TES (owning him at 4S) but beat him at PCS, Flamenco vs Jazz/Pop Electric Guitar, Tchaikovsky vs Nino Rota... his programs are more classic and epic. He will beat Chan at TES even though he will lose to Chan in PCS.

- Hanyu skates to Tchaikovski's Romeo and Juliet, not Nino Rota's. He skated to Nino Rota's a few years ago. ;)
- I really don't think Kovtun will get the same kind of PCS in the SP than Hanyu - if they both skate clean of course. But Kovtun's SP is great to get the best PCS possible, good transitions, intricate choreography, good interpretation. But he doesn't have Hanyu's skating skills, speed and overall catlike agility.

qwertyskates

Medalist
At GPF and Japn Nationals, I'm sure it was Nino Rota "What is a youth?", meanwhile, Kovtun is trying his best to make Olympic judges forget he is still a youth but instead a fighting man and an Olympian...:laugh:. They both have strength and weaknesses in SS, almost polar opposite but will cancel eachother out. Kovtun's programs (esp SP) are better at boosting his strength and hiding his weaknesses than Hanyu's. I think Hanyu can quickly correct his weaknesses, extension, posture, movements, but only if he is self aware enough and tweak choreography. Also ditch the costume...it's too garish-youth for the Olympics, honestly.

Battle of TES will make Hanyu nervous, esp. the 4S, he has time to train, so good luck to both.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hanyu's element are much stronger than Kovtun, particularly spins and jump technique. That being said I really love Kovtun's SP... The attitude and footwork is simply electric.

Side note: Plu again got 9.25 for TR and for CH and IN got 9.68 ... Can't wait to see the 9.75 and 10.00 on the score sheets. :laugh: Kudos to nailing that final 3A though... 3rd time's a charm!

ser22

On the Ice
Hanyu's FS 2013/14 Nino Rota - Romeo and Juliet.
Hanyu's FS 2012 Craig Armstrong Romeo and Juliet soundtrack.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
- Hanyu skates to Tchaikovski's Romeo and Juliet, not Nino Rota's. He skated to Nino Rota's a few years ago. ;)
No, he isn't ;):laugh: Hanyu this year skates to Nino Rota's R&J, he skated to the soundtrack of Romeo+Juliet in 2011-2012...

emdee

Final Flight
Ok, I'd like to hear from those who rudely scoffed at me, sneered, ridiculed and called me a troll when I predicted it will be a 3-way race between Chan-Hanyu-Kovtun on the Men's GPF thread.:biggrin:

At a mark of 267 for kovtun he is in the same boat as chan and Hanyu in your dreams.....
Of course if the top guns falter that is a different story!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It is curious. I expected program like Volvo Cup. Is there interview yet to give reason like nerves or injury?

He must be injured... There's no other reason. He's not healthy... He can't have legitimately made all those errors. After all, he skated clean at Euros 2012 and in 2006 and 2010. :sarcasm:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
No, he isn't ;):laugh: Hanyu this year skates to Nino Rota's R&J, he skated to the soundtrack of Romeo+Juliet in 2011-2012...

oh, ok, my bad. I knew 2011 had some des'ree song melody in it as well, but I figured the rest was Nino Rota... :eek::

EricRohmer

On the Ice
I hope Plushenko does well at Euros.
Whatever final decision will be, Plushenko's 2012Euros & this Nats(SP) performances were heroic. Nobody can skate like that at the age. Especially as a skater who has much worn body jumping consistently quads from teen age. Exceptional.
Anyway, personally I would like to see Plushenko's 4th participation in Olympics.

qwertyskates

Medalist
You are assuming that the other two will receive the same inflated PCS at Sochi, and that Kovtun won't get a boost. :rolleye:Low/realistic PCS here is Russian way of saying, "Look, no inflation/home advantage here for Kovtun, unlike...ahem...elsewhere where PCS can rocket by 21 points within one season.., Olympics will be fair."