Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships

Thank you for the clarification Frenchie, Dobrinfan and mskater93. I didn't realise that replacements were only an option if you had more than one skater qualified. I guess Plushenko faking an injury will be the only option to make him take part then. It's a shame because he could probably skate a clean SP. That or choosing Plushenko for the team event and Kovtun for the individual event.

They basically did the same thing for kovtun or do you forget it was 98 vs 93? What now all kovtuns scores are actually legitimate and he will get 90 in pcs in Sochi or euros or internationally now?

Kovtun's scores were inflated as well. Having said that, whilst Kovtun's programs aren't exactly extremely complex in terms of choreography or transitions, they aren't completely basic either. He has come a long way and he's skating with quite a lot of speed and flow and his posture and lines are good.

He must be injured... There's no other reason. He's not healthy... He can't have legitimately made all those errors. After all, he skated clean at Euros 2012 and in 2006 and 2010. :sarcasm:

Plushenko is permanently injured, having had lots of surgeries. His body is probably holding by a thread at this point.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Thank you for the clarification Frenchie, Dobrinfan and mskater93. I didn't realise that replacements were only an option if you had more than one skater qualified. I guess Plushenko faking an injury will be the only option to make him take part then. It's a shame because he could probably skate a clean SP. That or choosing Plushenko for the team event and Kovtun for the individual event.

Kovtun's scores were inflated as well. Having said that, whilst Kovtun's programs aren't exactly extremely complex in terms of choreography or transitions, they aren't completely basic either. He has come a long way and he's skating with quite a lot of speed and flow and his posture and lines are good.

Plushenko is permanently injured, having had lots of surgeries. His body is probably holding by a thread at this point.

I am frankly very ticked off with Plushenko over this. First of all of course he'd prefer the team over the individual event, that's his best shot at a medal maybe even gold.

But if he skates this, he could cost his country a gold medal. And it won't just be him affected but a lot of other Russian skaters. He at he very least needs to go to Europeans and beat Kovtun there.

Horrific that he thinks he deserves this more than Kovtun at this point, and is going to maybe rip an Olympic medal from this kid.

He has three Olympic medals, let it go.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Horrific that he thinks he deserves this more than Kovtun at this point, and is going to maybe rip an Olympic medal from this kid.

He has three Olympic medals, let it go.

Plushenko never said he deserves it
he knows he needs to be in good shape and qualify for te spot first

Zhenya will probably show up at Euros to have another skate off with Kovtun

bekalc

Record Breaker
Plushenko never said he deserves it
he knows he needs to be in good shape and qualify for te spot first

Zhenya will probably show up at Euros to have another skate off with Kovtun

He just said an interview that he wont. And that he will give up "his spot" in the individual. Ridiculous that he called it "his spot" At the very least he should show up for Europeans. The fact that he's not is just wrong on so many levels.

spread beagle

Rinkside
He must be injured... There's no other reason. He's not healthy... He can't have legitimately made all those errors. After all, he skated clean at Euros 2012 and in 2006 and 2010. :sarcasm:

I asked for any reason given, injury, or nerves, like in mental problem. All legitimate reason. It is not forbidden or impossible making mistakes but at Volvo Cup Plushenko appeared technically very good.

But to recent news, can he just announce to only do team and not singles event? Without the citing of injury after team event for substitution? It seems very obvious. Will ISU or IOC not mind?

bekalc

Record Breaker
I asked for any reason given, injury, or nerves, like in mental problem. All legitimate reason. It is not forbidden or impossible making mistakes but at Volvo Cup Plushenko appeared technically very good.

One competition months ago. Kovtun has appeared technically very good at many competitions.

qwertyskates

Medalist
From interview.."I am sensible ... It will be enough for me to compete in the team event," he said. "Unfortunately, I didn't do my job today."

Actually, he is sensible and he did his job today, i.e. passed the torch to make way for new generation. It's "his" spot, Mishin & others, even whole of Russia, probably wanted him to do it for last hurrah on home turf, he can probably beat Kovtun if he puts his heart into it. SP shows he can deliver the jumps, he strolled through the rest, grinning away. It's game set and wheels are set in motion.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Wow. That's some news.
I hope he figured out a deal with the russian federation and Kovtun. Otherwise, it wouldn't be ok to state "I'll choose the team event and give the individual competition to a young and promising athlete".
Since Kovtun could want to compete in both.
I guess they have reached an agreement, and part of that agreement is that Plushenko gets to do the team event, and he doesn't have to go to the Europeans, which apparently will increase his chances of being healthy in Sochi.
OR Tarasova now calls for her own press conference where she says "game on, Plushy! If you want to skate in the Team Event, see you at the Euros!" (not likely! but wouldn't that be awesome?) ;)
OR it's part of a long ceremony where he de facto just retired for good, and will announce in a few weeks that he's too injured, and therefore he gives up" his spot in the team event" as well. So he still gets to look/act like the Tsar.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Wow. That's some news.
I hope he figured out a deal with the russian federation and Kovtun. Otherwise, it wouldn't be ok to state "I'll choose the team event and give the individual competition to a young and promising athlete".
Since Kovtun could want to compete in both.
I guess they have reached an agreement, and part of that agreement is that Plushenko gets to do the team event, and he doesn't have to go to the Europeans, which apparently will increase his chances of being healthy in Sochi.
OR Tarasova now calls for her own press conference where she says "game on, Plushy! If you want to skate in the Team Event, see you at the Euros!" (not likely! ;)
OR it's part of a long ceremony where he de facto just retired for good, and will announce in a few weeks that he's too injured, and therefore he gives up" his spot in the team event" as well. So he still gets to look/act like the Tsar.

What deal. The head of the federation just said his place for the team is not secure. And Piseev just said Kovtun looks like their best bet. Why should Kovtun co-deal anything.

Kovtun has a good shot at winning Euros this year if Javier remains in current form.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Can you really trust this article?. Sounds strange that Plushenko can decide if he or another guy shall have the spot. And doesn't he/the writer know that the same man must skate both in the team and men's events. If Russia is planning to choose Plushenko for the olympics and then let him withdraw after or in the team event, then I'm much, much against it :disagree:

If Plushenko indeed said that he 'chooses' the team event and he 'gives' the individual competition to Kovtun, then his arrogance is just ugly.

There is no doubt that Plushenko is one of the most accomplished Russian skaters in recent years. But Kovtun did skate better at Nationals and he did earn his Olympic spot fair and square. It's not Plushenko's to graciously give up...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Can you really trust this article?. Sounds strange that Plushenko can decide if he or another guy shall have the spot. And doesn't he/the writer know that the same man must skate both in the team and men's events. If Russia is planning to choose Plushenko for the olympics and then let him withdraw after or in the team event, then I'm much, much against it :disagree:

:agree: I'm very much against it too.

... But to recent news, can he just announce to only do team and not singles event? Without the citing of injury after team event for substitution? It seems very obvious. Will ISU or IOC not mind?

Very good questions from spread beagle.

If that truly is what Plushenko said and if I were the ISU or the IOC, I would be extremely unhappy at such shameless disregard for the team rules. Unhappy both with the Russian federation and with Plushenko.

spread beagle

Rinkside
It is strange if true, especially making bending rules public to ISU and IOC. If Plushenko want any part in Sochi he should definitely go to Euro.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What deal. The head of the federation just said his place for the team is not secure. And Piseev just said Kovtun looks like their best bet. Why should Kovtun co-deal anything.

Kovtun has a good shot at winning Euros this year if Javier remains in current form.

Exactly. He is denying Kovtun the opportunity of a possible medal. It's not his spot until the Fed says its his spot. And I don't know how the IOC or ISU will feel about him saying he will "pull out" with an injury 1 month 1/2 before the event starts. For all we know Kovtun may not be around in 4 years, anything can happen so that's not fair to Kovtun at all especially if he earned that trip.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I still wonder if he really said what's cited. Anyone knows about this "the Star online"?

sigrid

On the Ice

Here's another article: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_...not-to-contest-Olympic-individual-event-7136/

"I think that I will select the team event and cede my spot in the men's competition to a young athlete," the R-Sport news agency quoted Plushenko as saying on the sidelines of the Russian championships in Sochi.