Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Who Will Be The Ladies " Underdog" at the Olympics?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Who Will Be The Ladies " Underdog" at the Olympics?

We all know who the ladies fighting for the Gold at the Olympics will be, but sometimes a skater comes in as "the underdog" and winds up taking the Gold or Silver or Bronze. I remember Elizabeth Manley at the 1988 Olympics. No one expected Elizabeth to make it to the podium let alone with the Silver medal. The big rivalry was between Katarina Witt and Debbie Thomas. However, Liz rose to the occasion and had the best skater of her life. So who do you think will be the "underdog" at Sochi?

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Well, since she just became Japanese Champion, she can't really be called an underdog, but my gut feeling tells me that Akiko will have another skate of her life at Sochi - plus this time, no UR call on her SP combo

I can't picture anyone but the "big names" on the podium: Kim, Suzuki, Asada, Lipnitskaya, Kostner, Wagner(unlikely?).

I see Suzuki as a medal threat too, and even if she's not technically an underdog, she's not usually cited as one of the main contenders for the podium either.

I think there might be more possibilities on the men's side of a dark horse winning the race or getting a medal. Machida is a definitely possibility, and there are quite a few veterans on the men's side that could, on a good day or the skate of their life, contend for the podium, especially if one of the top men falter. We haven't seen much of Ten this season due to injuries, Verner has had a great season outside the GP circuit, Joubert on a good day could still contend, and Abbott if he can get the jumps together, and even Rippon. (A few of those might be wishful thinking, but on the other hand, stranger things have happened, and any one of them could potentially have a Paul Wylie moment.)

Lipnitskaya could sneak in for a silver or bronze. Mao isn't a lock.. she might have looked like one before, but we just saw Akiko (and Kanako) dethrone her at Japanese Nats of all places.

Custom Title
    Well I'm not exactly rooting for the underdog unless it's someone like Akiko who's been doing this skating forever.

Zijun Li?

Custom Title
    Kim and Mao are the obvious favorites. Kostner isnt a favorite right now, but doesnt easily fit the underdog bill either. I would say Suzuki, Sotnikova, Murakami, Wagner, and Lipnitskaia, could all wind up being that person.

One difference from 88 is Manley was attempting much harder technical content in her long program than Witt, so if she skated cleanly she would always be a threat to her. One cant say that easily this time around. If Kim and Mao skate really well, there is no chance for the others. Not only are they the best skaters, but they are by a huge margin the judges favorites, and that is evident by the PCS and general scores they receive (even with errors) and open ended COP makes it even easier for the judges to seperate their favorites from the rest should they choose. They must falter for others to challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Zijun Li?
    I'm afraid she's so badly injured that she's already an underdog for the podium on the Chinese Nationals...

Custom Title
    Li and Osmond were two skaters everyone was excited about last year, but now people are wondering if they will even make it to the Olympics to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    I'm afraid she's so badly injured that she's already an underdog for the podium on the Chinese Nationals...
    What is Zijun Li's injury, and what's the status on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Victura View Post
    What is Zijun Li's injury, and what's the status on it?
    I read a post here a while ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by xiangfuzi View Post
    Chinese skaters are always unwilling to say much about their injury so we don't know the details.
    Zijun seems to be out of training for months but now her injury is not that seriousis.
    Everything is in recovery. Just best wishes to her.
    and last week:
    Quote Originally Posted by obalamus View Post
    I have read, that Li Zijun is ill for a long time. She wrote on weibo that she cann-'t sleep because of severe cough.
    Poor girl!
    I think I remember the German Eurosport commentator saying she was recovering from an ankle injury during CoC where she didn't do well (10th). Since then, she retired from the NHK Trophy.
    Her wiki page refers to an article that only addresses her growth issues and therefore loss of confidence, so I'm not sure what the actual situation is...

Fact of the matter is, she's not participating in the Chinese National championships which are this weekend.

It's a pity she's having problems in this Olympic season. But since she's the one who earned China 2 spots in Sochi, let's hope she can recover in time and get one of those spots.

A month ago, she posted on weibo writing, she suffered from cold, fever, drug allergies, conjunctivitis, bronchial pneumonia.
    I really hope that she will recover soon, she is the one who earned those 2 spots... she is still in her hometown but not sure is she training right now.

Julia and Gracie are the underdogs

Suzuki beeing boosted at Japanese nationals

Sotnikova is now the reigning National Champion will add more pressure for her
    now with the majority now thinking Julia's chances are now lower than Sotnikova at the Olympics might not be that bad after all

Custom Title
    Gold

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Gold
    She is a judges favourite so I would not think of her as an underdog. If she makes errors she tends to get the benefit of the doubt while the likes of Akiko get punished more.
    An underdog (For me) is a skater who is inconsistent & is not often rewarded by the judges. Kinda like a Gusmeroli or Jennifer Robinson in past years.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast