Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who Will Be The Ladies " Underdog" at the Olympics?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    But Gold has been inconsistent, so no one has expectations for her AT ALL - that to me makes her an underdog.
    But when she gets it right she gets massive marks. An underdog for me is not like that.
    Sarah meier was an underdog, she skated great through 2006 but never got the marks.
    I think everybody has a different image of an underdog.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    So you dont think Gold is an underdog if she were to win an Olympic medal, especialy the gold at this point. I would have to totally disagree there, she would be a huge underdog. Nobody is even talking about her as a second tier contender right now. Her only noteable achievement is her 6th place at Worlds, 2 straight years not even making the GPF now. As for when she gets it right she gets massive marks, that isnt even established. Her clean LP at her own Nationals last year barely getting over 130. Big deal, Suzuki, Murakami, Sotnikova, and Lipnitskaia all did way better than that at their Nationals just recently, and Kim, Kostner, and Asada can score bigger than that internationaly not even skating that well. So from every angle she would be a huge underdog, and yes she does have the potential if somehow she got it all together to surprise people (especialy with Olympic ice being slippery) and that what makes her exciting and a good topic for this thread. Any color medal from Gold would qualify as that.
    If that's the case then every other skater is an underdog. Such as Glebova, Gedvanishvili, Helgesson & Marchei.
    The truth is outside 5 or 6 skaters all of the others are underdogs. Any outside these winning a medal in Sochi would be a huge shock.
    It's even worse in Ice Dance.
    If you think Gold is an underdog, fine. I don't.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    She is a judges favourite so I would not think of her as an underdog. If she makes errors she tends to get the benefit of the doubt while the likes of Akiko get punished more.
    An underdog (For me) is a skater who is inconsistent & is not often rewarded by the judges. Kinda like a Gusmeroli or Jennifer Robinson in past years.

I was using the definition long shot, dark horse. And I think Gold is a long shot for a medal.

Custom Title
    Mirai Nagasu for sure

Custom Title
    Glebova, Gedvanishvili, Helgesson, Marchei, arent even good enough to realistically be underdogs for this thread topic. Gold is. If she didnt have any potential to score big as you referred to she wouldnt even be that.

There are 7 or 8 skaters who have a better chance than Gold going into the Games now. Maybe even more. How that doesnt qualify her as an underdog I have no idea. An underdog with potential yes, but if she wasnt she wouldnt even come up in this topic.

A skater outside the top 5 or 6 will almost always be a big underdog to break through with the gold or even silver, like OP specified. If they arent it is one of the deepest, most open, and evenly matched fields in Olympic skating history.
    Let's face it, we will never agree on this.
    US Nationals will tell us a lot about Gracie.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    Let's face it, we will never agree on this.
    US Nationals will tell us a lot about Gracie.
    Firmly agree. If Gracie can really bring to nationals, then I'll give her more thought for Sochi. But I have to base my guesses and hopes on what I've seen so far this season, and I'm not a huge fan of what she's putting out.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    It seems that Yuna Kim is solid as a rock, so she's a lock for gold. As for the medalists, I put this in another thread, but I'll give silver to Lipnitskaia and bronze to Wagner. These are two women who have the eye of the tiger. That's my hope. Actually I hope JuLip takes gold but I doubt it. I want to see the fighters win. Not the pampered princesses with benefit of PCS. *puke*

I have to stick up for my lady Valentina M. here.

Custom Title
    Let me put it as simply as possible, if Gold beats Yu Na Kim or Mao Asada (or both) in Sochi would you be absolutely stunned. Of course you would. Not only are both much more consistent than her (especialy Kim), they also are perceived at the moment to have much more scoring potential, and have much more clout and rep with international judges at this point. If you are saying she is not an underdog you saying if she beats Kim or and Asada it wouldnt surprise you much, or any. I find that hard to believe.
    When did I say that I would not be shocked if Gold beat Asada & Kim in Sochi ?!.
    I simply said I think she is above quite a few others in the skaters you would not consider a medal favourite. The judges do love Gracie & (IMO) a skater who is an underdog has to fight both the judges & the other skaters to do well.
    That is my opinion.
    Please understand our views are different & accept that.

I think underdog and darkhorse are one in the same. And as far as I'm concerned, everyone except Yuna and Mao are underdogs/darkhorses. That's why this Olympics is going to be so exciting, seeing who can fight it out for that last medal. No one is clearly set up to take it. Everyone has their attributes and downfalls. May the odds be ever in your favor!

Custom Title
    Isn't underdog or Darkhorse someone a term for someone who is a long shot contender.

Someone like suzuki is an underdog.
    Someone like gede isn't even a mutt.

You have to be a long shot candidate to be considered an underdog.

There shouldn't be that many underdogs either. One or two who have a legitimate case and odds to win it all.

Suzuki showed she can skate perfectly in both phases. And she is one of those who is good enough to win if top 3 makes mistakes.

If Valentina skates perfectly, she wouldn't come close to the podium. She cannot be an underdog.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    I think underdog and darkhorse are one in the same. And as far as I'm concerned, everyone except Yuna and Mao are underdogs/darkhorses. That's why this Olympics is going to be so exciting, seeing who can fight it out for that last medal. No one is clearly set up to take it. Everyone has their attributes and downfalls. May the odds be ever in your favor!
    Agree - that's what always makes the Olympics exciting! Always a chance for an upset. I think Julia is the underdog/dark horse with the best shot at pulling a Sarah Hughes. It'd be similar - If she wins, everyone who tunes in just for the Olympics will say "who?" But skating fans would have known she always had some chance. It'd be a an even bigger upset though, given how far ahead of the field Yuna was at her last worlds and that Julia wasn't even at worlds.

Just read this NYTIMES story that was recommended in the Mao Asada/triple axel threat. Tara has offered a pretty good answer for this thread:

“Yu-na has become a megastar,” said Tara Lipinski, the 1998 Olympic champion. “She has that Olympic title and that puts them in a slightly different category than they were in before. Now, Mao is a bit of an underdog, pushing to grab that medal. Yu-na has only gotten more confident.”
    Last edited by Layfan; 12-29-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: ETA

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Isn't underdog or Darkhorse someone a term for someone who is a long shot contender.

Someone like suzuki is an underdog.
    Someone like gede isn't even a mutt.
    So, what kind of an underdog was Elizabeth Manley? What was her results before olympics? As she was the example of an underdog in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    Oh no, just saw Hunger Games 2. Who will be the heroine (Katniss) of the games. We all know who gets major overscored no matter what. Zagreb, cough cough.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    So, what kind of an underdog was Elizabeth Manley? What was her results before olympics? As she was the example of an underdog in the first post.
    She was an underdog. Top 5 in 2 previous Worlds. Olympics was in Canada. That is as underdog as you gonna get.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast