Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Who Will Be The Ladies " Underdog" at the Olympics?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    And of course, here's the mandatory disclaimer: Yuna Kim will skate clean and win. The above numbers are completely hypothetical and won't happen ever.
    And to this mandatory disclaimer I add these words of caution: don't tempt the fates.

Sky_fly20 can tell you all about that. For the last 2 years she proclaimed that Adelina Sotnikova would never skate back-to-back clean programs, that it would never happen. Guess who won Russian nationals last week thanks to two clean programs?

I'm just sayin'...

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    And to this mandatory disclaimer I add these words of caution: don't tempt the fates.

Sky_fly20 can tell you all about that. For the last 2 years she proclaimed that Adelina Sotnikova would never skate back-to-back clean programs, that it would never happen. Guess who won Russian nationals last week thanks to two clean programs?

I'm just sayin'...
    Not to be the devil's advocate, but Adelina wasn't completely clean at Russian Nationals. In the FS, she stepped out of the 3Lz-3Lo (and I think the 3Lo was UR, too). Still, it was a splendid effort on her behalf, and I get your point.

I don't remember what people were saying about Yuna before the Vancouver Olympics, but she was clearly the favorite to win. If ever there was a time for her to crumble under the pressure, it was in 2010.

This article about Yuna and Sochi was just published a few hours ago:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...igure-skating/

“I’m not feeling much pressure for the Olympics because I think I already have done many things in my career,” Kim said, according to the newspaper. “I will try to enjoy my second Olympics.”

her comments remind me so much of G&G's comments about the 1994 games. "The first we skated for our country, the second time we skated for ourselves."

I'm just sayin'...
    eh.. it's funny because the non-yuna fans are the ones who are saying that she will win 100% guaranteed.. most of yuna ubers (outside of those crazy bots) including me are not even making an assumption that SHE WILL WIN no matter what.. we understand that the olympics is different.. and that anything can happen..

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    eh.. it's funny because the non-yuna fans are the ones who are saying that she will win 100% guaranteed.. most of yuna ubers (outside of those crazy bots) including me are not even making an assumption that SHE WILL WIN no matter what.. we understand that the olympics is different.. and that anything can happen..
    I don't think ANYONE is making the assumption that she'll win no matter what. Everyone knows that ice is slippery and that, as you said, anything can happen. What people are saying is that, if Yuna skates two clean programs, she will win.

Custom Title
    At this point, I'm demoting Carolina to underdog #1 and Akiko as underdog #2.

Looks like Scheherazade is going to stay with some modifications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cIoOnHw31g

It's looking much better. Carolina is emoting. A lot. I'm liking it more and more. Love the hair, too. Now, if only they change the skirt.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post

It's looking much better. Carolina is emoting. A lot. I'm liking it more and more. Love the hair, too. Now, if only they change the skirt.
    Wow! The absolute Queen of interpretation, IMO this one of the areas where she is better than the top two skaters in the world. Like the commentators said without the pressure of competition she sells that program well.

WOW , a lot better, I love it, her spirals are amazing, but it will be an ex program now?, please tell me not, it is incredible, I want she keep it like competitive program.

Custom Title
    Yup, the step sequence is really in sync to the music. Very fast turn, using the entire body. It's looking much better than CoC and CoR now. Like a real contender for the Gold medal with the program.

NBC sport re-broadcast Vancouver Olympics a day or two ago and I recorded it. I rewatched Evan's Schez and his step sequence is no where near as polished as this.

Exactly. This is one of my favorite pieces of music, and I loves the cuts. She seems to be using her face and arms to nice effect, and spirals!! Please bring backs spiral, ladies. But the bottom part of the dress needs to go. Lose the nude colored panty part, streamline the skirt, and it would be much nicer. Regardless of the outcome, I hope she skates well in Sochi.

Carolina is not an underdog, she is still the favorite for the silver in Sochi
    it not like she fared worst in the GP, she medaled in both her events
    if she wins Europeans it could give her moral boost going to the Olympics depends on how she skates there too of course

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Carolina is not an underdog, she is still the favorite for the silver in Sochi
    it not like she fared worst in the GP, she medaled in both her events
    if she wins Europeans it could give her moral boost going to the Olympics depends on how she skates there too of course
    Caro was injured enough to pull out of her own Nationals. I'd love for her to do well, but I'm not insane enough to bet on her when she has both an injury and a history of inconsistency.

I'm just sayin'...
    Eh? I read CarneAsada's disclaimer as a tongue-in-cheek remark to ward off those who would immediately swarm the thread for proclaiming such heresy (that Kostner or Asada could score so high). I'm not seeing it as a bold statement to tempt the skate gods.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    ^^^Duly noted, but it also applies to those proclaiming that Mao and Carolina are incapable of skating cleanly and will most definitely make mistakes. All I'll say is they are both due for a SOYL moment and they only have two or three competitions left to do it...it could happen.

Switching gears...

I think Carolina's "Scheherazade" is lovely as an exhibition piece...but I still think she should go back to Bolero. It was a more effective FS overall that scored very well even when she wasn't skating her best. I just keep thinking back to the hot mess that was COC and how without the jumps "Scheherazade" fell to pieces. Also, I want to see her ditch the 3S at the end. If landed, the effect would be awesome; but she seems to miss it every time. It's too risky. She should do a big 2A at the end instead...

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Eh? I read CarneAsada's disclaimer as a tongue-in-cheek remark to ward off those who would immediately swarm the thread for proclaiming such heresy (that Kostner or Asada could score so high). I'm not seeing it as a bold statement to tempt the skate gods.
    You know it.

I think Carolina's "Scheherazade" is lovely as an exhibition piece...but I still think she should go back to Bolero. It was a more effective FS overall that scored very well even when she wasn't skating her best. I just keep thinking back to the hot mess that was COC and how without the jumps "Scheherazade" fell to pieces. Also, I want to see her ditch the 3S at the end. If landed, the effect would be awesome; but she seems to miss it every time. It's too risky. She should do a big 2A at the end instead...
    She's landed the 3S on multiple occasions. She just needs to give herself more prep time. Even if it's a triple Salsplat, the effect can be tremendous as it was at WC 2013. Despite splatting, she won my admiration for attempting it in such a risky place. At the Olympics, I don't want to see skaters playing it safe.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast