Thread: New Years wishes-what is yours for skating? 2014 and beyond

New Years wishes-what is yours for skating? 2014 and beyond

If you are an adult skater, maybe your dream is to win a medal at your club. Maybe you are trying to master a double toe or even a lutz.

Maybe your secret New years prayer is just to live to see 2015.

I will start my crazy wish list:
    To finally see some of Nationals LIVE. Oh please pray for that!
    To see Adam Rippon win gold there, and Jason to take silver to make Sochi
    For Marlie to win Nationas wih SB scores and take OLY Gold in a narrow victory over the perfect V/M.
    For Shibs to win the bronze
    For Ash and Grace to skate clean at Nationals, and head to Russia healthy with confidence, in a closely scored comp. Ash ekes out the win on her PCS.
    For Bronze to go to Sam Cesario with a great Carmen and for her to make top 10 in Olympics.

Caroline Zhang, Flatt and Nagasu skate very well at Nationals. Flatt announces retirement and early acceptance to med school. Caroline becomes assistant coach under Karen Kwan and is loved by her students, Mirai and Agnes skate well at Nationals but both look at the cost of skating, and see they do not have enough support from USFS. Mirai retires, and decides to enter a University in Japan where she skates in all the shows, perfects her written Japanese and takes courses to coach in Japan. She does commentary for Japanese skating Grace Gold who wins 2015 WC and is considered a frontrunner for 2018.

Agnes takes 4th at Nationals and must decide what to do with her career when she does not make team for Sochi. Agnes switches coaches again in 2014 to ? and ? ( I like agnes and her lovely jumps-what happens to agnes in best scenario?)

dreams? hopes? prophecies?
    --------------------------

Custom Title
    I mainly want to see all the main contenders skate lights out in Sochi. I would especially like to see extremely close Men's and Ice Dance contests.

I also hope the team event is a success and that it will help revitalize figure skating in the US.

Rinkside
    For Sochi I hope that all the skaters who are retiring can give a performance that they can be happy with.

For beyond I hope that America can start medaling again.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I mainly want to see all the main contenders skate lights out in Sochi. I would especially like to see extremely close Men's and Ice Dance contests.

I also hope the team event is a success and that it will help revitalize figure skating in the US.
    Yes, please.

I'd love for Daisuke and Akiko to at least podium. I'd love Daisuke to win, but I hope that both of them can skate lights out and end their careers with a BANG.

My favourite skater/s win OGM then take a good rest from skating forums and find a new hobby.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    My favourite skater/s win OGM then take a good rest from skating forums and find a new hobby.
    Me too probably. Except I will likely continue to visit a certain skater's Fan Fest thread (we both know which skater that is) to find out what they are up to and watch all their show programs.

My biggest wish is that all skaters stay healthy and injury free heading into Sochi. I can't imagine a lifetime of training, hoping and wishing going down with something like a broken toe.
    Next up, I wish for Ashley to spruce up her program (because I do actually like the music), skate clean, and out of the many that could, be the one to take the bronze in Sochi.

Fantasy Olympic podiums of Carolina Kostner, Akiko Suzuki and Julia Lipnitskaya for the ladies and a three-way tie between Patrick Chan, Daisuke Takahashi and Yuzuru Hanyu for the men. As for my own skating, really improve my skating skills and jump consistency, maybe start working more on the harder doubles, do a competition or two hopefully with clean performances.

Everyone's wish is fair judging, and I have so many 'faves' for lack of better short word.

For Sochi, I decided as much as I Like Mao and YuNa and see how special they are, I think I want to see caro on podium and two newbies. I would like Akiko to medal, she is so god, so joyous. Not since Kwan have I "felt" a skater like her. Ashley I hope is the newbie from US. Osmond would be a breath of fresh air. Kanako and the shoe ins...I don't care. Finally decided if Caro does poorly, let her be past over, even if it is Julia Lip.

Akiko for gold! Is is even possible? After her Nationals skates, I was thrilled. She is bottled tonic for the heart.

I am happy Mao/Yuna have theirs/money, much chances. I really wish some without medals get them at Oly. Akiko, Wagner, Osmund, Julia, Gracie Kanako, cesario are more likely in the mix for bronze, but I hope the skaters neer to have medaled, do...so thay includes caro. May the skates be great and the judging fair to those who are not being called 'the big three' in every thread.

I can't imagine a dry eye if Akiko could win this-what a skater woman and person!

Custom Title
    My wish is that every skater performs to their potential in Sochi, and that the judging is fair.

Eveyrone wants perfect skating, fair judging. Of course we do, but this is planet Earth. Nothing more specific for who u want to see on podium? who should retire? who should keep on? Who should be at worlds? Do we wish a repeat OGM or a new lady? We won't see everyone or even half "do their best." And with judges faves, we may have some very unfair judging at Olympics and Worlds. We know certain skaters will be overscored, held up, inflated PCS. We know who gets underscored, or has to earn every last fraction of a point. We know politics and feds may decide winner if the skating is close. It is often very unfair.

So be brave and tell us what you hope to see at nationals, Olymics, Worlds and beyond.

I wish for a huge resurgence of skating in America but it won' happen due to the cost, the national obsession with male team sports, and the crazy confusing judging system will not attract fans. Too complicated. So it is no longer on my wish list.

What do you think? This may be the last OLY FS is really covered on TV in USA. With the next Olympics in Asia, dominated by Asians, I suspect very little coverage in 2018. Unless Grace is a huge winner by then or there are American dominance in ladies, which, as aforementioned, very unlikely. It is the century of Asia in all ways, ruefully said by an American.