Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Ladies FS - 2014 Russian Championships

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I don't necessarily agree. I think that, after many years, Akiko has found the type of programs that showcase her strengths and hide her weaknesses. What she does she does very well but I don't think the has the artistic breadth of last year's Worlds medalists. Akiko is arguably the fourth best artist today but I think Adelina is close behind, as is Julia. They are just skating the wrong type of programs; I almost think Adelina and Julia would be better off switching their LP music because I can see Julia doing well with more whimsical pieces and Adelina something more mature.
    Are you seriously suggestion that Asada has more artistic breadth than Akiko? Asada the skater who can practically only skate to lyrical classical piano pieces? And Kim, whose artistry I find really just skin-deep.

Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    Arguably, Akiko is on the same level artistically as the Top 3 from last years Worlds (or even higher than some of them) and much better than Sotnikova and especially Lipnitskaya.
    I thought this really just goes without saying.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Are you seriously suggestion that Asada has more artistic breadth than Akiko? Asada the skater who can practically only skate to lyrical classical piano pieces? And Kim, whose artistry I find really just skin-deep..
    Yes I am suggesting that, which is a personal opinion. I don't think it is insulting Akiko to say that Yuna, Mao, and Carolina attempt a wider range of programs. Mao, for instance, does not "only skate to lyrical classical piano pieces"; she has tried heavy pieces (Masquerade Waltz, Bells), light pieces (I Got Rhythm) and everything in between.

Mashimaro on Ice
    I actually agree with drivingmissdaisy. While I think Akiko has emotional honesty that makes her performances inspiring when she skates well, I don't find her that versatile. If you look at her music choices, she usually picks broadway musicals. This is a smart choice because it emphasizes her strengths (emotional honesty) and hides her weaknesses (lines, extension). Actually, I feel the same about Daisuke. I love Dai when he is skating to Tangos or upbeat music that showcases his flair and charisma. When he is skating to more lyrical, slower pieces, like this year's Beatles, I find it a bit boring.

Banned
    Suzuki is overrated in this forum, the only reason they like her is because she is a late bloomer so called woman

I'd take Dorothy Hamil's musicality anyday to Akiko

And I would like to point out, that for the second time this season, Adelina landed all of her 3 flips!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    And I would like to point out, that for the second time this season, Adelina landed all of her 3 flips!
    No she didnt

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    No she didnt
    Yes she did. First time in Paris and now at Nationals. Geez

Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Yes she did. First time in Paris and now at Nationals. Geez
    1 + 1 = 2

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Asada has not skated only to classical lyrical pieces...And I think she has a wide range yes, from her competitive programs to her exhibitions.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Asada has not skated only to classical lyrical pieces...And I think she has a wide range yes, from her competitive programs to her exhibitions.
    Sure. But that's the only type of music that she actually knows how to interpret well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Sure. But that's the only type of music that she actually knows how to interpret well.
    IMO, her SP from last year (which grew on me) was well interpreted and it wasn't classical.

Remember Suzuki is 5 years older than Yuna, Mao.
    And while Suzuki is a brilliant performer, I don't think Suzuki has produced a work over Yuna's Arirang LP in artistic depth, JMO.

Custom Title
    So thrilled for Adelina to hit her triple flips at this event

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    Remember Suzuki is 5 years older than Yuna, Mao.
    And while Suzuki is a brilliant performer, I don't think Suzuki has produced a work over Yuna's Arirang LP in artistic depth, JMO.
    I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I will say choreographically "Arriang" was the 2nd best FS Yu-Na has to date (1st being Lark).

I disagree that Akiko is limited artistically. For a while she was stuck in a Broadway/show tunes phase but she's expanded quite a bit in the last two or three years. Look at her combo of programs last year: "Kill Bill" and "O". Polar opposites. I honestly think last year's programs would have been better for this year b/c both programs were unique and a little out of the box for her.

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Well, we could say all of her 4 flips, since she landed the one (probably the best of the four) in the EX program, too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag9PcUTHVb8

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19