Can Julia Lipnitskaia close the gap on Adelina Sotnikova? | Golden Skate

Can Julia Lipnitskaia close the gap on Adelina Sotnikova?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Couldn't resist. :laugh:

In all seriousness, what do you think the Sochi prospects of these two skaters are now, post Nationals?

elif

Medalist
:laugh:

I'm trying and trying but I can't see Sotnikova as a serious medal contender. Sorry.:)

tulosai

Record Breaker
To me they are the same as they always were.

If Adelina goes clean or almost clean in both programs, she beats Julia (and probably everyone else but Mao and Yuna).

If Adelina skates like she usually skates, Julia beats her.

Odds therefore still favor Julia.

However, if this is the beginning of a new, clean era for Sotnikova, more power to her.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
simple answer:

The Rus Fed loves Sotnikova ever since she was 12
and of course the judges will then follow and inflate her PCS

its scary how her PCS will be like next quad :disapp:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
odds of Sotnikova skating clean outside Nationals ? probably 5 %
they actually did Julia at least a favor, she will now work harder and improve everything she can to win

CarneAsada

Medalist
Seriously? In my opinion Adelina has grown up and her jumps are still there. Julia although she is not 10-11 as one silly hater claims still looks like she has room to grow and her jumps do not look particularly large or secure. Her 3-3 is not impressive compared to that of, say, early Carolina Kostner, to say nothing of Yuna Kim. The older they get, I think the bigger the gap will get if Adelina can sort out her "headcase" issues.

Slowdive

On the Ice
odds of Sotnikova skating clean outside Nationals ? probably 5 %
they actually did Julia at least a favor, she will now work harder and improve everything she can to win

I agree. I suspect that Sotnikova will completely bomb at the Olympics (not that I want her to - just my prediction).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

If Adelina goes clean or almost clean in both programs, she beats Julia (and probably everyone else but Mao and Yuna).

However, if this is the beginning of a new, clean era for Sotnikova, more power to her.

I agree with everything you said.

I don't know if Adelina can get 70+ PCS. Her personal best in PCS was 64+, which she got at TEB. But if she has an amazing performance, she could get tehre. Julia has received 70+ TES internationally. It's going to be interesting, for sure!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I agree with this assessment. Adelina clean or with one mistake will blow past Julia, as she should.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
simple answer:

The Rus Fed loves Sotnikova ever since she was 12
and of course the judges will then follow and inflate her PCS

So, the next question is, why does the Russian Fed love her? Is it because she is way more interesting and exciting to watch than Julia? Or did the Russian Fed have a lottery to get to see who the favorite is and Adelina won?

I won't enjoy Julia as long as she only cares about her placement rather than how she performs. She skated a clean 7 triple LP and got 140 and was pouting because a superior all around skater placed ahead of her. Instead of pouting she should skate faster and jump bigger.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So, the next question is, why does the Russian Fed love her? Is it because she is way more interesting and exciting to watch than Julia? Or did the Russian Fed have a lottery to get to see who the favorite is and Adelina won?

I won't enjoy Julia as long as she only cares about her placement rather than how she performs. She skated a clean 7 triple LP and got 140 and was pouting because a superior all around skater placed ahead of her. Instead of pouting she should skate faster and jump bigger.

she was disappointed with her score because she did solid 7 triples, she got screwed
Julia is not after her placements but her aim is to always skate clean as she has said many times
the scores she got for a clean skate was what disappointed her not placing behind Sotnikova

Sotnikova isnt a superior all around skater some make it out she is
Sotnikova is overrated and overhyped by her Fed

Julia has improved immensely this season, her FS alone should score higher than Sotnikova if clean
she has improved her jumps, her 2A gets more height now and with difficult exit, better in IN, CH, PE, TR
speed is good and she isnt slow as you make it is

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
she was disappointed with her score because she did solid 7 triples, she got screwed
Julia is not after her placements but her aim is to always skate clean as she has said many times
the scores she got for a clean skate was what disappointed her not placing behind Sotnikova

The only skater in the history of the universe who could remotely be disappointed with a 140 is Yuna Kim. So Julia thinks she is better than Yuna now? I like her even less.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I can picture a Kostner in 2010 Olympics scenario for Sotnikova

That's really mean. Only two spots available on the Russian team and she skates lights out at Nationals, she can obviously handle pressure. I would think the weight is off her shoulders a bit.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Obvious trolling attempts aside it seems the certain Olympic team now is Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia. Alena Leonova will probably now be the 3rd skater to Europeans (although have they announced it yet, they still might send Anna P. due to her strong season) and whichever goes will now have to win Europeans in order to even be considered over either IMO, not merely place the highest Russian.

I don't think anything that could happen at Euros would change the team now. It's pretty clear this is the team the Russian Fed wanted given the absurdly high PCS both Adelina and Julia got at Nationals. However, they earned the spots fair and square, not only here but also having been the best two through the entire season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

140+ is a great score and she needs a major attitude shift if she is that score-obsessed.

Perhaps she should take a page from the always sunny Jason Brown:
http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013/11/interview-with-jason-brown.html

Along with this, I constantly strive to best my highest scores, and to continue to learn and grow from every experience that I'm fortunate enough to be given, and take what I've learned through the next steps of my journey. I believe that my stiffest competition is myself. Every time I step onto the ice to compete, I want to best myself. I have no control over what anyone else does or how the judges will score, and, at the end of the day, if I skated and performed to the best of my ability, I'm happy. I can't do more than that.

ETA: However, I would like to give the benefit of the doubt and think that she is not that self-absorbed and that what we're seeing is someone who is an extreme perfectionist.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I don't think anything that could happen at Euros would change the team now. It's pretty clear this is the team the Russian Fed wanted given the absurdly high PCS both Adelina and Julia got at Nationals. However, they earned the spots fair and square, not only here but also having been the best two through the entire season.

This. The people complaining about Adelina's pcs need to also look at Julia's. neither Julia nor Adelina could possibly receive the pcs they did outside Russia. The gap between them was appropriate however.

I also do think both have earned their spots fair and square. while obvious that the federation wanted them to succeed and do it, I guarantee if either had skated like tukt they would not have been first or second, and that if Tukt had skated like them she'd have been no lower than third.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That's really mean. Only two spots available on the Russian team and she skates lights out at Nationals, she can obviously handle pressure. I would think the weight is off her shoulders a bit.

Julia isn't the reigning national champion going to the Olympics
less pressure to Julia more pressure to Adelina