Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Can Julia Lipnitskaia close the gap on Adelina Sotnikova?

Custom Title
    Adelina has gone through the two phases of puberty: height and physical maturity. She has done so in front of the critical eyes of skating fans and former skating fans, who are now hard on her because she hasn't been as consistent as she was at 12 and 13, before the growth started. It does appear to me that Adelina has finally turned the corner and is on the way to developing her adult skating form, as Irina Slutskaya did after 20.

Now you have Julia, who has gotten taller, but still has a totally undeveloped body. She hasn't yet gone through the kinds of changes that Adelina has that have been so disruptive to her jumps. I can see sky_fly jumping all over Julia if she suddenly sprouts and becomes inconsistent and can't do all those complex 3/3s and even falls.

It is hard on these young girls to become idols and then suddenly be jeered at because normal growth intrudes. It takes TIME to adjust. And we have seen that some never quite are able to make that adjustment (Korobeynikova, Agafonova, Shersak, Biryukova). Tuktamysheva may turn out to be another one---or not.

Custom Title
    I agree. When skaters do well you should laud their efforts but when they do poorly we really should support them or at te very least not kick them while they're down. It's of no benefit to call skaters headcases or zambonis or other names because not only is it rude but it doesn't do anything positive for a skater. And if you offer criticism there is a tactful way to say what's on your mind. Moreover, if you are a jerk, expect people to call you out on it, and then maybe take a look at why people might have reacted that way.

This is an Olympic year... It's when we want the world to see how brilliant and exciting our sport is. Instead of getting the claws out we should be encouraging skaters when they have such amazing performances as Julia and Adelina had. We should be thrilled that Russia has two strong skaters to send for their home Olympics!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Adelina has gone through the two phases of puberty: height and physical maturity.

Now you have Julia, who has gotten taller, but still has a totally undeveloped body. She hasn't yet gone through the kinds of changes that Adelina has that have been so disruptive to her jumps.
    Unless somebody has a picture of Julia's parents it's difficult to say how 'undeveloped' her body is; I have a friend who is in her mid-20's and she looks about like she's 13 years old, It's all genetics- some have less body change then others. And since she isn't a 'power' jumper I don't think even if she got bigger that she would necessarily lose her jumps a whole lot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I prefer consistent skaters like Gracie Gold
    HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!! It isnt April 1st yet honey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UimoHOIPI0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aks3Wh9sZ_4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOCIfFHZ6s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHETjnfM77o

Atleast when you praise Julia as a consistent skater you are being quite honest about something. The rest.....

I will agree that Gold has had more shaky skates- she's also only in her 2nd season of senior competition. Adelina was gifted by having weak competition in her 2 events neither of which she won that helped her get to the GPF; Adelina is in her 3rd season competing in senior competing outside of Russian/ 6th if you count the years she was only doing the Russian nationals) Gracie can attribute her shaky skates to new senior nerves.
    Gracie is two years older than Adelina. The reason she didn't get her start when Adelina did is because Gracie one year didn't even make Nationals (while Adelina was winning hers)...

Adelina isn't that experienced in senior international competition.

After awhile its normal to view some as headcases see an Abbott or Sandhu.. But Sotnikova is still very new. She's skating better and better free skates.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Unless somebody has a picture of Julia's parents it's difficult to say how 'undeveloped' her body is; I have a friend who is in her mid-20's and she looks about like she's 13 years old, It's all genetics- some have less body change then others. And since she isn't a 'power' jumper I don't think even if she got bigger that she would necessarily lose her jumps a whole lot.
    Julia has NO boobs and NO hips. Sooner or later, she will have both. It's inevitable. Even tiny Sasha Cohen eventually got both, and when she did, her jumping got less consistent. Right now, Julia is taller than Sasha.

The reason jumps are impacted has nothing to do with power jumping. It has to do with the change in the center of gravity when a girl develops physically. That can wreak havoc with jump technique for a time. It's happened to Zijun Li since Worlds 2013.

Actually, power jumpers make it through puberty better/more often than "spinny" jumpers because they typically have better technique (they understand how to get in the air and then rotate their jumps) and don't muscle their jumps around (Lipnitskaia DOES muscle the back half of her combos which could be impacted with the filling out piece of growing up when that occurs even more so than other jumps).

Custom Title
    Tuktamisheva's problems to beyond physical never in her whole life no matter what's going on physically she has bombed Sps more than succeeded. That's not physical. Her bombing Sps haven't gone from mental based with nerves to physical based. She can still do a pretty good fs that's way beyond her Sps. If only tuktamisheva's problem was growth related.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    The only skater in the history of the universe who could remotely be disappointed with a 140 is Yuna Kim. So Julia thinks she is better than Yuna now? I like her even less.
    Where did it say that? We all know everyone was way overscored. Julia always wants to skate clean and she made that little mistake in the sp which was pretty much the difference between 1st and 2nd. The score isn't always what matters to the skater

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7