Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can Plushenko close the gap on Kovtun?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Can Plushenko close the gap on Kovtun?

Hah, not being entirely tongue-in-cheek here. There's one spot for the men, and Kovtun has shown a strong GP season and win at Nationals, making him the frontrunner. Would a win at Euros seal his spot? And if Plushenko wants to compete in Sochi what does he need to do?

Yes, because he is PLUSHENKO!

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Go to Europeans
    Bump into Kovtun during practice or warm-up really hard
    Say Kovtun did it on purpose so he couldn't beat him
    Get his friends within the Russian Federation to expell Kovtun from the Russian Figure Skating Federation for life (Kovtun might even lose his Russian citizenship in the process?)
    Get the ticket to Sochi

Alternatively, he could train hard, skate clean and hope for the best. But that seems too far-fetched to me.

Custom Title
    It's so odd for him to just concede like that when he beat Kovtun in the SP and had a good skate at Volvo. It's not like him to just be so dismissive... his attitude should be "I'm not just going to beat Kovtun at Euros and win my spot, I'm going to win Euros and show I can contend for an individual medal." This just seems like he's shying away from the individual competition for an easy medal and letting Kovtun deal with the harder event.

Custard Title
    At this point Pluschenko is basically being held together by string, screws, and artificial tissue, yet he is still landing quads. I think he can do it (close the gap) if he replaces a few body parts. That would greatly increase his projected shelf life (skating life?). I could see him competing in Pyeongchang and in the 2022 Olympics (perhaps even at his 2002 level) if the surgeries go well. Kovtun is still young and already one can see he is not up to young Pluschenko's standard; there's nothing he could do to catch bionic Plushy.

Custom Title
    No euros means plushenko is formally retired.

Custom Title
    Basically Plushenko wanted to skate as little as possible but make it to Sochi. He knows he can't skate again in a couple weeks at Europeans or he knows he can't beat the kid.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    And if Plushenko wants to compete in Sochi what does he need to do?
    He need go to Europeans, there he need to skate SP from National and LP from Volvo Cup. Simple solution

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It's so odd for him to just concede like that when he beat Kovtun in the SP and had a good skate at Volvo. It's not like him to just be so dismissive... his attitude should be "I'm not just going to beat Kovtun at Euros and win my spot, I'm going to win Euros and show I can contend for an individual medal."
    I agree. He say he was overconfident and with good shape. Why not Europeans then?

Custom Title
    if kovtun has a meltdown at euros (not impossible), I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian fed ends up sending plushenko to the olys instead. plushenko understands his body the best, if he knows he can't perform well at euros, his best bet might just be to wait at home and hope that kovtun bombs.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    his best bet might just be to wait at home and hope that kovtun bombs.
    now that would be a champion's attitude, right there!

Custom Title
    He doesn't need to.

Medalist
    I think Plushy is discouraged; he knows his body needs really more time to heal. He is not in shape or really trained enough to compete at a super high level - that being said his skate wasn't horrible I do wonder how he will score pc wise though - he is not nearly as fast and the jumps are tilted but he is not horrible as I thought he might be. His spins need to be faster too but he is getting the change of positions for the levels. But popping jumps and doing the Oda is costly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    if kovtun has a meltdown at euros (not impossible), I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian fed ends up sending plushenko to the olys instead. plushenko understands his body the best, if he knows he can't perform well at euros, his best bet might just be to wait at home and hope that kovtun bombs.
    That would be really unfair because there's no telling that Plu wouldn't have bombed either especially with his most recent LP.

You would think Plu would use Euros as an opportunity to show that he has much more in him than his Nationals LP. Certainly the international judges will be skeptical of him after his LP.

Custom Title
    Being totally theoretical about it one wouldn't need to do the individual event after doing team. But in plushenkos case he's at the point where he'd be "roasted" in team and individual anyway.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    The SP in the team event is more important than the LP. Plushenko deservedly won that segment at Nationals and has the verrrry long track record of delivering. He's really a better choice than Kovtun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast