Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Can Plushenko close the gap on Kovtun?

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    An excerpt form TSL's recap on Russian Nationals:

"If it seems arrogant or ridiculous that an athlete would get to choose whether or not they compete in the Olympic Games, it is. One must also understand that Evgeny Plushenko is not an ordinary athlete or member of Russian society. The Russian Skating Federation paid Plushenko 1 million euro to continue competing this season. They also covered his training and medical expenses. Vladimir Putin has gifted Plushenko numerous cars and apartments over the years. He was also named to Parliament and awarded numerous tax loopholes."

I'm thinking this is why Plush has some pull on some decision making and why he can get away with a test skate instead of going to Euros. I wish Obama gifted US skaters like this

Sorry to post that twice. It didn't look like it went through the first time.

Can Plushenko close the gap on Kovtun?

No, because they will never compete against each other again. Otherwise, the gap in question was a few points after Plushenko skated one of his worst programs in memory and had an invalid element, making the question pretty pointless to begin with.

If the question was "how can Plushenko/Kovtun guarantee an Olympic spot", the answer is "by off-ice means", of course.

Can people please stop with the "can X close the gap on Y" threads? It made sense when it was Hanyu/Chan but it's been getting ridiculous, not to mention that I fail to see why another Plushenko/Kovtun thread is needed. Or, carry it to the logical conclusion - "Can Tonichelle close the gap on Mathman?", etc.

MK's Winter - you can just delete the redundant post or edit it

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    No, because they will never compete against each other again. Otherwise, the gap in question was a few points after Plushenko skated one of his worst programs in memory and had an invalid element, making the question pretty pointless to begin with. If the question was "how can Plushenko/Kovtun guarantee an Olympic spot", the answer is "by off-ice means", of course. Can people please stop with the "can X close the gap on Y" threads? It made sense when it was Hanyu/Chan but it's been getting ridiculous, not to mention that I fail to see why another Plushenko/Kovtun thread is needed. Or, carry it to the logical conclusion - "Can Tonichelle close the gap on Mathman?", etc. MK's Winter - you can just delete the redundant post or edit it
    True story. They won't face off again.

And it won't let me delete:( I'll keep trying though.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Oh what an enormously foolish society Russia is becoming, and their foolish skating federation and the reason their results have gone down the tubes now for all to clearly see. It isnt by accident.
    I agree. I understand his drive to compete and put himself through this. That is slot of money and a lot I pressure. Plush has nothing else to prove especially after Vancover. Russia's drive for medals really knows no bounds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I'm thinking this is why Plush has some pull on some decision making and why he can get away with a test skate instead of going to Euros. I wish Obama gifted US skaters like this
    To be fair, good American athletes earn lucrative sponsorships so government funding isn't necessary for the very best athletes. What he earns is far less than what Kwan earned in her prime. I sympathize with Plushy because although he comes off as arrogant in this whole ordeal, he must face an intense amount of pressure to deliver based on how much Russia has invested in him. I don't envy his position at all.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    To be fair, good American athletes earn lucrative sponsorships so government funding isn't necessary for the very best athletes. What he earns is far less than what Kwan earned in her prime. I sympathize with Plushy because although he comes off as arrogant in this whole ordeal, he must face an intense amount of pressure to deliver based on how much Russia has invested in him. I don't envy his position at all.
    Russia is in no economic state to throw dollars around like that either. I think he wants to be done. Even with his surgery he has to be in a good amount of pain. I wonder if the Russian Fed will give him money and support him when he can't walk.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I don't envy his position at all.
    I kinda envy the million, the cars and the apartments!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    You really don't get it at all.

I KNOW and it is amazing how many times it has been explained and posters still come up with impossible scenarios

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Plushenko had an invalid element, making the question pretty pointless to begin with.
    how come u can do 3x 2T's, but not 3x 2A's? they are both doubles or no?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Russia is in no economic state to throw dollars around like that either. I think he wants to be done. Even with his surgery he has to be in a good amount of pain. I wonder if the Russian Fed will give him money and support him when he can't walk.
    Actually if Russia is spending 50 billion on Sochi is can spare a million for plushenko

Custom Title
    Regarding the three double axels, I think that's a recent rule limiting the number of double axels in a FS to two.

Also, a million for Plushenko is nothing, especially considering the publicity and talkability it will generate. He's a face of Russian Winter sport, so it almost makes financial sense to put him at the forefront even if Kovtun is the better skater at this point and more worthy of being Russia's lone spot.

I would at least hope Kovtun competes against Plushenko at this test skate, if it happens. It's pretty unfair that Kovtun has to prove himself so much more than Plushenko, because he's not as much of a buzz generator, but them's the breaks. The Russian fed would rather generate dollars than points for fairness.

Custom Title
    Well, Kovtun didn't have to do the test skate last year against Menshov and Voronov. Of course, maybe the fed considered his Euros skate to "be" his test skate entry?

That said, I would much prefer it if there was a "proper" test skate between Plushy and Kovtun with both participating.

Most of all, I would have preferred it if Plushy skated at Euros. But I believe that ship has sailed...

Custom Title
    Its not like he wanted to do 3 double axels and was ignoring the rules or didn't know them he was going for a 3A and it took a few tries and that resulted in a zayak rule violation.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Regarding the three double axels, I think that's a recent rule limiting the number of double axels in a FS to two.

Also, a million for Plushenko is nothing, especially considering the publicity and talkability it will generate. He's a face of Russian Winter sport, so it almost makes financial sense to put him at the forefront even if Kovtun is the better skater at this point and more worthy of being Russia's lone spot.

I would at least hope Kovtun competes against Plushenko at this test skate, if it happens. It's pretty unfair that Kovtun has to prove himself so much more than Plushenko, because he's not as much of a buzz generator, but them's the breaks. The Russian fed would rather generate dollars than points for fairness.
    Life isn't fair. Remember Dai - some might think h im going to Olys and world is unfair!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast