Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 117

Thread: Can Plushenko close the gap on Kovtun?

  1. #76
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,581
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    I am glad you finally came around to realize the withdraw from the 2013 Euros by Plushenko probably wasn't entirely due to his pre-existing conditions even though you were admant about it.
    Plushenko had built a better form from 2010 to 2012 than what he did 2009-2010, at Euros 2012 at least he looked more effortless and light than in 2010. Probably cause he had had the muxury of time to work slower. Whatever it was and he withdrew after 20103 Euros, he did a disc replacement surgery 10 days later. I dont propose he should be rewarded for skating back after it, but it is nice to put the things in some perspective about his motives.
    I have no clue what Russia is up to for Sochi, do they keep the drama for tickets draw? His name even made our news, and this is the most people know here from winter Olys athletes.
    Last edited by seniorita; 12-30-2013 at 06:04 PM.

  2. #77
    I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    If Plushenko is not there (Europeans) - there is no possibility he could be beaten by Kovtun again, which will allow the Russian Fed to paint whatever picture they want to see from the results, even if Kovtun wins a medal.
    Jackpot. I'd say Kovtun really needs to win a medal at Euros to have a shot at going to Sochi. Strike that. At being the official one man sent to Sochi. (before Plushenko surprisingly WDs after the Team Event due to... you guessed it... injury )

  3. #78
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,897
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Plushenko had built a better form from 2010 to 2012 than what he did 2009-2010, at Euros 2012 at least he looked more effortless and light than in 2010. Probably cause he had had the muxury of time to work slower. Whatever it was and he withdrew after 20103 Euros, he did a disc replacement surgery 10 days later. I dont propose he should be rewarded for skating back after it, but it is nice to put the things in some perspective about his motives.
    I have no clue what Russia is up to for Sochi, do they keep the drama for tickets draw? His name even made our news, and this is the most people know here from winter Olys athletes.
    he did that surgery 6 days later 31 of january, they were so fast...

  4. #79
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,897
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    An excerpt form TSL's recap on Russian Nationals:

    "If it seems arrogant or ridiculous that an athlete would get to choose whether or not they compete in the Olympic Games, it is. One must also understand that Evgeny Plushenko is not an ordinary athlete or member of Russian society. The Russian Skating Federation paid Plushenko 1 million euro to continue competing this season. They also covered his training and medical expenses. Vladimir Putin has gifted Plushenko numerous cars and apartments over the years. He was also named to Parliament and awarded numerous tax loopholes."

    I'm thinking this is why Plush has some pull on some decision making and why he can get away with a test skate instead of going to Euros. I wish Obama gifted US skaters like this
    once more
    Plushenko News_Eng ‏@PlushenkoNews 3h

    Because @SkatingLesson dont have enough guts to publish comments on their blog that denying their lies on Plushenko:http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rv965g

  5. #80
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,345
    Is Plush depressed?

  6. #81
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Is Plush depressed?
    No. He was depressed, but he wants to fight now. But sometimes I would like to see when he gives up....I'm worried about him all the time..

  7. #82
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    I disagree. I think Russia still has a lot to prove still since 2006. Russia's men in figure skating has been dismal to say the least since the Torino Olympics. For a proud country with glorious history and an influential State, this is unacceptable. It is not just medals they are counting, more than anything else, it's the Gold medal. Many countries favor the number of Gold medals they won per Olympics, not just the medal count and Russia is one of them. Japan also uses a very similar standard. Plushenko was supposed to be their sure bet of restoring the honor and glory after what they perceived as a major injustice suffered at the Vancouver Olympics in North America (often regarded as hostile to Russians and Mishin has vowed to never visit again which he broke with Vancouver 2010). Now, that goal seems a little out of reach.
    I just feel that Plush has nothing to prove. 3 Olympic medals he is good. The state of Russian men's skating should be his problem.

  8. #83
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    79
    I don't know if Plushenko will make it to competing at Sochi, but then again, I have never known. I also don't know what the Russian Skating Federations wants to do at this point.

    I only want to mention, in response to things like what TSL has been writing, that when Plushy made the statement that he would compete only in the team event at Sochi after the LP at Russian Nationals, it was in an interview immediately after his LP, and in direct response to a question that asked him, point-blank and misleadingly, to choose between the team and individual events. He said that he chooses the team event. Then in the press conference, he said the same thing again.

    Russian fans, as well as Tatjana Flade, found out after talking to him that he was under a misunderstanding of the rules at the time. He thought--wrongly--that the rule modification that the Russian Skating Fed. obtained said that now it could put up one male singles skater for the team event, and another one for the individual event, without any issue of the first skater withdrawing due to injury.

    After he found out the truth (Tatjana Flade wrote that he was surprised when she explained the true state of the rules for him), Plushy said that he would accept any decision from the Federation. However, if chosen, he would strive to do both the team and individual events. He never mentioned the idea of doing only the team event again after that, but talked about the physical possibility of doing both (again, if chosen).

    I know Plushy's been getting quite a bit of criticism for making this statement about only doing the team event. He did not get the rules correct, and he probably was in a highly emotional state and spoke uncautiously. But I want to say that in fact, he did speak and act in good faith throughout (though some others might not have).

  9. #84
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I just feel that Plush has nothing to prove. 3 Olympic medals he is good. The state of Russian men's skating should be his problem.
    I agree it should not be his problem if there's a missing word there.

    If it was up to plushenko to win gold why would they have sent kovtun to 2013 worlds in preparation for 2014 and the future?

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    I disagree. I think Russia still has a lot to prove still since 2006. Russia's men in figure skating has been dismal to say the least since the Torino Olympics. For a proud country with glorious history and an influential State, this is unacceptable. It is not just medals they are counting, more than anything else, it's the Gold medal. Many countries favor the number of Gold medals they won per Olympics, not just the medal count and Russia is one of them. Japan also uses a very similar standard.

    Plushenko was supposed to be their sure bet of restoring the honor and glory after what they perceived as a major injustice suffered at the Vancouver Olympics in North America (often regarded as hostile to Russians and Mishin has vowed to never visit again which he broke with Vancouver 2010).

    Now, that goal seems a little out of reach.
    I think the Russian men have been inconsistent, but you still have a lot of men who can land quads and even nail clean programs like Voronov and Menshov. The problem with most of the Russian men is that they lack artistry and good choreography, and Kovtun is the first one in a long time who has the total package.

    I think what Russia needs to do is stop turning men into jumping machines (the days when a clean jumpfest with basic choreography can win are over, arguably ending with the results of Vancouver 2010), and the Russian men really need to develop their musicality and artistry. Which is an astounding realization given that Russia is historically known for artistic, elegant skaters.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think the Russian men have been inconsistent, but you still have a lot of men who can land quads and even nail clean programs like Voronov and Menshov. The problem with most of the Russian men is that they lack artistry and good choreography, and Kovtun is the first one in a long time who has the total package.

    I think what Russia needs to do is stop turning men into jumping machines (the days when a clean jumpfest with basic choreography can win are over, arguably ending with the results of Vancouver 2010), and the Russian men really need to develop their musicality and artistry. Which is an astounding realization given that Russia is historically known for artistic, elegant skaters.
    It's not about artistry it's about cop and following the rules that get the most points. Like the best pcs always means the person was most artistic? Yeah right! Chan is not artistic! But chan has all tr and ch and PE of tr and ch but lacks artistry. He was just a nichol robot and that's not artistry that's he point system. Russia must stop believing in their old artistry being applied to skating and be cop robots.

  12. #87
    I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    He was depressed, but he wants to fight now.
    Apparently not enough to go to Euros - for which he qualified - to earn his spot.

  13. #88
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It's not about artistry it's about cop and following the rules that get the most points. Like the best pcs always means the person was most artistic? Yeah right! Chan is not artistic! But chan has all tr and ch and PE of tr and ch but lacks artistry. He was just a nichol robot and that's not artistry that's he point system. Russia must stop believing in their old artistry being applied to skating and be cop robots.
    Nichol robots are pretty effective winning machines. Evan, Ten, Michelle, Carolina, Daisuke, Shen & Zhao, Mao, Pang & Tong, Sasha .....

  14. #89
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebamboo View Post
    ...........................

    I know Plushy's been getting quite a bit of criticism for making this statement about only doing the team event. He did not get the rules correct, and he probably was in a highly emotional state and spoke uncautiously. But I want to say that in fact, he did speak and act in good faith throughout (though some others might not have).
    thx so much for the thorough clarification, Plushy was never an arrogant person in my book.

  15. #90
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Apparently not enough to go to Euros - for which he qualified - to earn his spot.

    I wanted to that, as Plush also. That would have been clear. Mishin was who thought differently..

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •