Pairs - Final Results | Golden Skate

Pairs - Final Results

Evdokia

On the Ice
amykaren said:
Yah for Zagorska/Siudek! Is this their first Euro medal?
No, they already twice won a silver medal (in 1999 & 2000). So it's great for them to be back again on the podium.:)

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
pairs final

i don't think the chinese are quivering in their boots when it comes to some of these skaters. t/m put me to sleep.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joe, I need a bit translating, please... What does "ho hum" mean? Is it about agreeing or disagreeing with results? LOL, I have not problem with either way.

Marjaana

Evdokia

On the Ice
Jaana said:
Joe, I need a bit translating, please... What does "ho hum" mean?
I was wondering about that too?:confused: Maybe it's cause the placements in the final result just remained the same like they were after the SP?

However, it was very close between TT/MM (skating to Music by Edvin Morton) and P/T (skating to the "Princess of the Circus"). TT/MM were clean, but doubled the sbs sals. P/T had the technically more difficult programe, but Maria Petrova had a double footed landing on the throw triple sal. - Both skated with surprising passion. :eek: So the gold medal may have gone either way. (Personally I prefered P/T this evening, but both skated very well.)
Zagorska/Siudek (skating to "Warsaw concerto") had a minor error on one sbs spin and she stepped out of her 3 toe. - Everything else was clean. I'm very lucky for them that they kept their nerves and are back on the podium again, as they had to skate last and all the other couples skated so well before. :)
Obertas/Sokolov: she couldn't land the throw triple flip (but AFAIK they are the only pair doing this this element in competition;)), afterwards he made a mistake at a sbs spin. Otherwise a flawless performance, best twist I would say. - They came very close to to the podium and it was a split decision by the judges again.:p

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am very excited for Obertas & Sokolov. I am really hoping that with Moskvina's tutelage they can become a real challenge to Chinese pairs. Not that I have anything against the Chinese, but I don't think it's healthy for the sport to have one school so dominate all others.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Evdokia said:
However, it was very close between TT/MM (skating to Music by Edvin Morton) and P/T (skating to the "Princess of the Circus"). TT/MM were clean, but doubled the sbs sals. P/T had the technically more difficult programe
Is Pet/Tik's program more difficult technically all around, including a comparison of the relative difficulty of the lifts, spins, transitions, and entries into/exits out of the elements? What were their relative speeds? Last year there was a significant difference in speed between Pet/Tik and T/M, and it wasn't T/M's fastest program. This year, at least on TV, Pet/Tik look much faster in their SP and at the beginning of their LP, but the middle has petered out to where she's been essentially dropped from lifts at a near standstill. Most of what I've read so far about the relative difficulty compares the difficulty of one throw -- 2 Throw Sal vs. 3 Throw Sal -- and assumes that the rest was equal.

Obertas/Sokolov: she couldn't land the throw triple flip (but AFAIK they are the only pair doing this this element in competition;)), afterwards he made a mistake at a sbs spin. Otherwise a flawless performance, best twist I would say. - They came very close to to the podium and it was a split decision by the judges again.:p
I've also read that they did a SBS 3T/3T sequence and solo SBS 3T's, which violates the Zayak rule. However, under OBO we can't tell if/which judges gave them credit for the rules violation.

Jaana and Evdokia - Ho hum generallly means boring. I used it to note that the results were not surprising.

While I like Totmiarinan and Marinin, they are are not B&S, and the other two pairs to me are somewhat boring. However, I have not seen this competition and I am someone to change my mind if I find any of them really exciting.

Joe

Evdokia

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
Is Pet/Tik's program more difficult technically all around, including a comparison of the relative difficulty of the lifts, spins, transitions, and entries into/exits out of the elements? What were their relative speeds? Last year there was a significant difference in speed between Pet/Tik and T/M, and it wasn't T/M's fastest program. This year, at least on TV, Pet/Tik look much faster in their SP and at the beginning of their LP, but the middle has petered out to where she's been essentially dropped from lifts at a near standstill. Most of what I've read so far about the relative difficulty compares the difficulty of one throw -- 2 Throw Sal vs. 3 Throw Sal -- and assumes that the rest was equal.

I'd say that P/T's programe was overall more difficult that night. As far as I remember they did 2axel/3Toe and another pair of double axels as sbs jumps, while TT/MM did sbs 2sal and sbs 3Toe-2toe, which is overall less diffcult. Masha Petrova had a doublefooted landing on the throw 3sal, but Tatjana Tomianina didn't look to secure on one of her throws as well. I'd say the difficulties of the lifts would equal, spins the same.
As for speed, transitions, entries/and exits of elements I would usually give TT/MM an edge, but that night they looked somehow careful and slower as usual (which may be due to Tatjanas injury, as they were really handicapped by that during practices - on the other hand I don't think that judges should take this into consideration for judging by giving "pitty-points"), while P/T seemed to be skating very fast (difficult to judge from TV). I also tend to say that TT/MM in general have better overall choreography and lines in their programes, but they just didn't present it that way like P/T performed yesterday. - But that's just my impression, I didn't make any marks when watching the programes, so that's what I still remember from both performances. :)

Regarding O/S - yes, they did three triple toes, one 3toe/3toe combo and one as a sbs solo jump. I was wondering about Zayak-rule too, maybe it isn't applicable in pairs skating?:confused:

Matt

On the Ice
Tatiana Totmianina injured her knee before the FS at Russian Nats, so she, Maxim, and Oleg Vassiliev decided to downgrade the triple salchow to a double in order to protect her injured knee. That's why both of them did a sbs double salchow instead of the triple that they normally do. I suspect they'll put the triple salchow back in come Worlds

icenut84

Final Flight
I normally wouldn't count T&M or P&T among my favourites either, but I think they're both improving a lot. Petrova & Tikhonov were fantastic in the free, they've improved so much it seems to me, and it was really close for the gold. Their lifts especially were great. I liked the programme much more than their last few aswell.