Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Russia Names 2014 Team for Europeans

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Honestly I think it has more to do with the Russian fed trying to give R/T one more opportunity to place higher than S/Z for that 3rd Olympic spot.
    for what ? R/T are stagnant boring skaters with the same type of programs every season
    better give it to a young couple for an Olympics experience. R/T aren't getting younger either

Custom Title
    Maybe Bobrova and Soloviev are going to skate at team event in Olympics so this is why they are not in the Euro team. Probably Americans and Canadians are not going to skate at 4CC so they will have only political disadvantage against Pechalat/Bourzat, If Pechalat/Bourzat can win Euros. This is a suprise. I thought they will skip GPF and nationals but they didn't.

Interview with Plushenko on Euros: http://fsrussia.ru/news/1016_evgenij...y-ya-ne-poedu/

Interview with Gorshkov that says R/T and S/Z will fight for spot at Olympics, V/T and B/S are locks for Sochi (no one else is), no changes to Euros roster (no K/S): http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=78980

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Maybe Bobrova and Soloviev are going to skate at team event in Olympics so this is why they are not in the Euro team. Probably Americans and Canadians are not going to skate at 4CC so they will have only political disadvantage against Pechalat/Bourzat, If Pechalat/Bourzat can win Euros. This is a suprise. I thought they will skip GPF and nationals but they didn't.
    Bobrova & Soloviev couldn't skip Nationals, they had to prove to everybody including Russian Federation that they are still and again and once again number 1 team. They have to prove it four years in a row. 2013 European Champions and World Bronze Medalists have to prove that they are again and still better then European Silver Medalists and 9th World team. If they didn't go to Final everybody would say that they are afraid of confrontation with top team. If they didn't skate at Nationals everybody would crown Ilinykh & Katsalapov a Russian number 1 team.

Not to send them at Euros put an advantage to everybody else except Bobrova & Soloviev. Team event is not so important like individual one, maybe it would be another idea made by Russian Federation. Everybody who will skate both Team and Individual competition will be extremely tired, the Team competition is sooner. Maybe Russian Federation will decide to put Bobrova at both events and make Ilinykh resting and concentrate to individual one only. After this Nationals and after this strange politics I am loosing the idea that the decision are made for better future and best results of Russian skating. Much more it looks like support of few selected persons no matter how their skating qualities looks like.

I am sure that coming at Olympics we will once again hear that silly and beyond all understanding question: "Who is Russian number 1?"
    No more I am not blaming fans for such questions, everybody has a right to like and prefer different couples, we have all different taste. I am and I always was for correct judging with distributing dance couples into groups of those who are great and those who are not (looking at all aspects I mentioned in other threads). I am for appreciating dance teams for what they really know to do on the ice, not only looking to what I personally like. But there is always a lot of place for fans to have their own "horses" and favourite couples.

I blame Russian Federation to make such steps which leads every year to that silly question.
    I admit that Ilinykh & Katsalapov are entertaining couple and talented couple and Nikita has "it" factor as a dancer while Lena is a super sexy doll on the ice, they both have nice basics, no doubts.
    Bobrova & Soloviev are absolutely different kind of skaters. But the fact is that during four years Ilinykh & Katsalapov even with help of "it" factor and sexappeal advantage were not able to prove that they are better skaters / dancers. Even with help of Federation, even with help of Zhulin in 2010/11 season / later Morozov (even with Morozov's behind the scene support) Ilinykh was not able to get over Bobrova.
    And Federation instead of supporting number 1 team, decides to keep them out of Euros to help Ilinykh to improve her fallen reputation (while it means that Bobrova may loose better position like last year World medalist if Pechalat will win Euros / Cappelini will win Euros). Few weeks ago Alla Shechovcova tried to make situation more fair, she tried to explain why there are problems with calling number one teams and supporting Ilinykh. Shechovcova pointed to a fact that both two teams can be supported and then a medal chance will be better. It is nice if it would be done like that. But this looks like supporting one team only while the other team is put down to help to get favourite team up (to my deeply not understanding they are putting down number 1 team, while visibly worse number two team is supported).

I don't know what to think about it. I love figure skating, it is a beautiful sport, but with such behind the scene stories...it is hard to understand people who make such important decision which are influencing skaters in way which is not called the best but "the most suitable"... but for somebody else.

Custom Title
    I think team competition is important. It is in the Olympic ice with Olympic judges. And Olympic audience will be there for clapping. Other top teams are going to be there too so this is high level competition. Everybody going to talk about how skaters had skated. Bobrova/Soloviev's short dance is strong so they can pass Pechalat/Bourzat or other bronze medal teams again in the SD at least.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sisinka View Post
    They have to prove it four years in a row.
    Don't you think there's a reason why people have been so keen on finding another russian ice dance number one for Sochi?
    Bobrova / Soloviev have been called limited in their potential for so many years now.
    A few years ago, Ilynikh/Katsalapov were described as a couple who at least had the potential to get to the level of Davis/White and Virtue/Moir.
    I completely agree that things haven't developed in that way.
    But you have to acknowledge why the Russian Federation was torn between supporting Bobrova/Soloviev 100% and hoping for something better.
    If everybody skates clean at Sochi, and judging isn't biased (we all know how that's going to go ), Bobrova/Soloviev would finish no higher than 5th, behind Davis/White, Virtue/Moir, Péchalat/Bourzat and Weaver/Poje. Maybe behind Capellini/Lanotte.
    I do believe they'll get the bronze medal handed to them regardless if they don't fall, but still, their limited potential is the reason for those things that have frustrated you over the past years.
    I'm still hoping for a response from you about my question I asked you earlier: Was Bobrova/Soloviev's LP earlier this season http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fELRKt-_GHo already supposed to represent 2 frightened birds? Or was it something completely different?

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    So what is Plushenko expecting now? To be named for the Olympics even though he lost to Kovtun (who had a decent season so far) and he's not going to Euros to beat him there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    I can't believe Alena is going after 2 crappy season with very poor skates only because she had a good SP at nationals.
    Pogo must be devastated. It would make more sense to send even Liza (I mean she was forth at her GP events, even had a very good LP at her first one and was at least able to score over 110 in the LPs, something Alena didn't do for ages). And her LP at nationals would't score over 110 in an international competition.
    Bad choice, but good news for Adelina and Julia, since even if Alena beats them both at Euros, I am sure they would still make the Sochi team.
    I agree. Leonova was 6 points ahead of Pogo on the PCS in the FS and whilst her PE was great and her SS are better, both of her programs had basic choreography and lacked transitions so I don't think that was justified at all.

A clean Pogo could beat Sot if she had an off-day (it happened already this season) and Russian Fed surely didn't want that to happen before Sochi.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Was Bobrova/Soloviev's LP earlier this season http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fELRKt-_GHo already supposed to represent 2 frightened birds? Or was it something completely different?
    Yes. The concept of the program didn't change at all and only minor adjustments were made to the choreo, from what I know. They just replaced the music used in the second half. Knowing what happened last season, I wouldn't be surprised if the choreography didn't actually change at all.
    Last edited by seniorita; 12-28-2013 at 03:38 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    A clean Pogo could beat Sot if she had an off-day (it happened already this season) and Russian Fed surely didn't want that to happen before Sochi.
    Agreed, the Russian Fed wants Sot and Lip to go to Euros and place 1-2 to position themselves as the bronze favorites in Sochi. I do feel bad for Anna but all these Russian women knew the time to peak was at Nationals and the two best did.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Agreed, the Russian Fed wants Sot and Lip to go to Euros and place 1-2 to position themselves as the bronze favorites in Sochi. I do feel bad for Anna but all these Russian women knew the time to peak was at Nationals and the two best did.
    It makes the most sense- if Adelina can put together 2 clean programs in 1 competition she can medal; and Julia has been too consistent in performance and winning this season to not go to the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    So what is Plushenko expecting now? To be named for the Olympics even though he lost to Kovtun (who had a decent season so far) and he's not going to Euros to beat him there?
    Apparently. Plushenko hasn't skated any legitimate international event since Euros 2013 when he withdrew, and now he wants to get a bye to the Team event. It seems he wants to show up at the team event, skate however best he can and pick up a guaranteed medal that Kovtun should be competing for, and then "withdraw due to injury", so Kovtun can duke it out in the individual event that will be way harder to medal.

If he doesn't do Euros I hope he respectfully bows out and lets Kovtun compete in both team and individual. He can still have a presence at Sochi and end his career honourably.

Anyone feel like some more drama?! A few tweets from Tatjana Flade:

Tatjana Flade‏@Tatjana2116h
    Plushenko told media at RUS Nat'ls he "doesn't exclude" he will go to Euros. Coach Mishin said he is not going. Confusion!

But I don't think RUS Fed can easily change team past deadline once entries & subs are sumbitted. So far he's not even a substitute.

@PlushenkoNews He just said it in the mixed zone to Russian TV. Russian agency and myself were also present.

@PlushenkoNews In mixed zone, shortly after awards ceremony.

Honestly... I can't even keep track of who said what when anymore! I'm in utter, utter confusion! My poor head... not to say heart!

Anyway, what do the mixed signals mean, anyway? Plushy wants to go - but Mishin doesn't want him to go?! When Plushy is "on the loose" he lets slip that he might like to go actually - and then Mishin gets hold of him and convinces him he isn't going? I... don't... know... anything... anymore....

Excuse me, but...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    and now he wants to get a bye to the Team event. It seems he wants to show up at the team event, skate however best he can and pick up a guaranteed medal that Kovtun should be competing for, and then "withdraw due to injury", so Kovtun can duke it out in the individual event that will be way harder to medal.

I can make a million speculations from my couch too. Kovtun should not be competing anywhere, Olympic Russian Team has not be named except for two teams (V/T and B/S) and Plushenko is certainly not the one who will decide it. Adelina is not named on the Olympic team, neither S/K. I m puzzled how people adress Plushenko like he holds the strings of the Federation, how do you know what Plushenko wants or expects after this failure? Does this federation ever publish its rules for the team? Did they have any specific rule for sending Kovtun to Euros last year or make Menshov have a test skate? By the way Kovtun wasnt so spectacular at GPF. And I want to see the athlete that will be offered an olympic spot and will say no please thank you, I ll bow out graciously.
    It is a moo point anyway, if Rf was so keen to send Plushenko he could have gotten a bye at Nationals or push him to Euros no matter what.
    Last edited by seniorita; 12-27-2013 at 10:33 PM.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    @PlushenkoNews In mixed zone, shortly after awards ceremony.

I'm in utter, utter confusion! My poor head... not to say heart!
    If we want to believe the Russian Federation president's statement that Plushy might not have known the specifics about not being allowed to "just do the Team Event", then I'd say we should all sit and wait for a new statement.

Tanja Flade says that statement was from Plushy right after the medal ceremony, so before people started asking waaaaah? like you
    She's waiting for him to comment now, just as everybody else does.

The statement was after the medal ceremony, and before the gala, if I'm correct? And there was an interview that Dobrinfan posted - was that before... or after?

ETA - Correction because I can't think straight, let alone write straight any more!

Seems like B/S were chosen to compete in the team competition (both portions?) so Zhulin decides to save energy and prep for that instead of Euros http://sochi2014.rsport.ru/sochi2014...711201045.html

So Russia looks like they will switch out the pairs (V/T the SP only) and ladies (Lipnitskaia?/Sotnikova?) with B/S doing dance, plus the 1 man. Helps explain why B/S are guaranteed Sochi along with V/T

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast