Mao must let the triple axel go for shot at gold in Sochi | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mao must let the triple axel go for shot at gold in Sochi

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
It is so easy to sit behind a computer and nitpick every aspect of her skating and comment on the best strategy for her, but at the end of the day no one knows her strugle but Mao. People on a public forum can say what they want but gezzz the amount put down Mao gets from some members here is a little much.

:agree: :points: :points: :points:

ForeverFish

Medalist
To answer the question -- yes, I think Mao needs to let the 3A go IF she wants to win gold in Sochi. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she's landed it cleanly all season, and I doubt the Olympic judges will score her above 70 in the SP with a jump mistake. Especially if Yuna is clean.

But I don't think Mao needs to win, and I don't think SHE thinks she needs to win. She will forever be remembered in the sport, regardless of her results in Sochi. It seems that Mao intends to accomplish a personal goal rather than gun for the title, and I respect that immensely.

minze

Medalist
To answer the question -- yes, I think Mao needs to let the 3A go IF she wants to win gold in Sochi. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she's landed it cleanly all season, and I doubt the Olympic judges will score her above 70 in the SP with a jump mistake. Especially if Yuna is clean.

But I don't think Mao needs to win, and I don't think SHE thinks she needs to win. She will forever be remembered in the sport, regardless of her results in Sochi. It seems that Mao intends to accomplish a personal goal rather than gun for the title, and I respect that immensely.

Long time @foreverfish you were missed

cinnamon

On the Ice

I think SHE thinks she needs to win, she knows Japanese fans' expectation. But she wants to do it with three 3As.
She has done that 3 x 3As last time. So why you have to insist on that - that's at least half of her Japanese fans are thinking.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I think SHE thinks she needs to win, she knows Japanese fans' expectation. But she wants to do it with three 3As.
She has done that 3 x 3As last time. So why you have to insist on that - that's at least half of her Japanese fans are thinking.
In the leadup to Vancouver, she landed:
ONE clean 3A combination, ONE downgraded and heavily 2-footed solo 3A out of 3 attempts at 2009 TEB
ZERO clean 3As, ONE underrotated fall on a 3A out of 3 attempts at 2009 CoR
ONE clean solo 3A, ONE slightly underrotated 3A combination out of 2 attempts at JNats 2009
TWO clean 3As (one in combintion), ONE slightly underrotated 3A combination out of 3 attempts at 2010 4CC.
That season before Vancouver, she landed 4 credited 3As (2 of which were in combination), 2 slightly underrotated 3A combinations, 1 heavily underrotated and 2-footed 3A, and 1 underrotated fall.
Credited: 4/11
Combinations: 2/7
Safe landings: 6/11
Things that showed up on the protocol as 3A: 8/11

In the leadup to Sochi (counting this season only), she has so far landed:
ONE rotated but 2-footed 3A, ONE underrotated fall on a 3A out of 2 at 2013 SA
ONE rotated but 2-footed 3A, ONE underrotated 2-footed 3A out of 2 at 2013 NHK
ONE rotated fall, ONE slightly underrotated 3A out of 3 at 2013 GPF
TWO underrotated 3As (one two-footed and turnout) out of 3 at 2013 JNats
She has landed 3 fully credited 3As out of 10 (0 in combination), 2 rotated 2-footed 3As, 1 rotated 3A fall, 2 slightly underrotated with a good landing, 2 underrotated two-foots, and 1 underrotated fall.
Credited: 3/10
Combinations: 0/2
Safe landings: 2/10
Things that showed up on the protocol as 3A: 9/10

I didn't include Japan Open because I don't remember how it went in 2009 and I was too lazy to actually check. Conclusions are that she pops less but underrotates about as much, and she has 2-foots/touchdown of free foot much more. The main difference is that there are fewer 3A combination attempts this season (and zero landed by Asada so far), she lands safely on one foot much less, and the success rate has stayed about the same through each competition compared to lots of combination attempts, quite a few nice landings, and a significant improvement over time in 2009-2010. This is merely going by tech panel judgments so make of it what you will.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

She scored 72 points at the GPF with a 3A<. I know, in Japan but still that's comfortably above 70.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
My impression is that part of the reason to keep both 3As in the LP is that whatever she would replace a 3A with wouldn't be the automatic success many here assume.
She still gets some good points out of a 3A<, and her F or her 2A3T are often borderline <. So yes, this layout might increase her chances of getting some < calls, but in terms of overall points to expect, I don't think it's worse than a layout with only 1 3A.
That is, of course, IF she doesn't fall or pop.

At the 1992 Olympics, Midori Ito changed from a 3A to a 3Lz in her SP combo because she was having trouble with the A in practice, and she ended up falling on the 3Lz. It would have been better to fall on a 3A.

Icey

Record Breaker
She should do two triple axels in the short and two in the long if she wants to advance from her past achievement at the Vancouver Olympics, where she did a total of three.

Someone said she was advancing the sport by clinging to the 3 ax. How many female skaters are currently training a 3 ax?

yuki

Final Flight
She should do two triple axels in the short and two in the long if she wants to advance from her past achievement at the Vancouver Olympics, where she did a total of three.

She can't do that, as it would break the Zayak rule.

Someone said she was advancing the sport by clinging to the 3 ax. How many female skaters are currently training a 3 ax?

I'm not exactly sure how that's her problem. The 3A is a big point-getter now especially in the SP, there's nothing but the difficulty of the jump itself that prevents other ladies from attempting it if they wish.

Icey

Record Breaker
I'm confused about the kayak rule. I thought you could repeat a triple provided the second one was done in combination. In the short couldn't she do a 3 ax and a 3ax 2T

yuki

Final Flight
I'm confused about the kayak rule. I thought you could repeat a triple provided the second one was done in combination. In the short couldn't she do a 3 ax and a 3ax 2T

This is true in the LP. In the SP you can't repeat a triple, nor a double except as part of a 3-3 combination: 3T-3T or 3Lo-3Lo.
(Tatsuki Machida found this the hard way in the 2013 GPF SP, where he did 2T, 3A and 3Lz-2T, which got his combination invalidated).

ForeverFish

Medalist
She scored 72 points at the GPF with a 3A<. I know, in Japan but still that's comfortably above 70.

With Yuna also competing in Sochi, though, it doesn't seem likely to happen again. Yuna might get put into one of the first SP groups due to her lack of international results this season, but I don't think the judges will hold her down the same way they did at 2013 Worlds. If Yuna skates a clean SP (most probably) and Mao doesn't, Mao will look subpar by comparison -- worse than she would if she wasn't going head-to-head against her main challenger (like on the GP). I'd expect her score to be lower as well.

Long time @foreverfish you were missed

Thanks. :) It's been a pretty busy few months, but hopefully, I'll be able to post more frequently in the weeks leading up to the Olympics.

FS_rrb

On the Ice
With Yuna also competing in Sochi, though, it doesn't seem likely to happen again. Yuna might get put into one of the first SP groups due to her lack of international results this season, but I don't think the judges will hold her down the same way they did at 2013 Worlds. If Yuna skates a clean SP (most probably) and Mao doesn't, Mao will look subpar by comparison -- worse than she would if she wasn't going head-to-head against her main challenger (like on the GP). I'd expect her score to be lower as well.

IMO, if Mao skates her SP like she did in the GPF, she should get more than 70 points, and even more than the 72 points she got there because the < in the triple axel was very strict. It's not like she only received +70 score in the GPF. In fact, all her SP this season at international competitions (SA, NHK, GPF) have been above 70 and the funny thing is the best executed program of the three was the one which was more strictly judged.

Anyway, I agree with you when you say that if Yuna skates well in the earlier groups and then Mao fails to skate a clean SP she will look subpar and be penalized. But, as I said, if she skates the exact same way she did in the GPF (without Amano) she could easily score 75 points.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Japanese Nationals could be a warning sign of what wil happen to mao if she fails both of her 3A in the FS
he tends to make pops and mistakes with her other double jumps, the rest you can answer it will be Yuna-Joannie gap again though in the 2014 Olympics the field will be tougher so she cannot make that many mistakes

Yuna anyways is still the odds favorite to win based of who is likely to go clean

CarneAsada

Medalist
Japanese Nationals could be a warning sign of what wil happen to mao if she fails both of her 3A in the FS
he tends to make pops and mistakes with her other double jumps, the rest you can answer it will be Yuna-Joannie gap again though in the 2014 Olympics the field will be tougher so she cannot make that many mistakes

Yuna anyways is still the odds favorite to win based of who is likely to go clean
If she fails both her 3A, she could still be OK for bronze with a GPF-level skate. But she'd be more in trouble if she URs the 3-2-2 and doomed if she pops anything.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
If she fails both her 3A, she could still be OK for bronze with a GPF-level skate. But she'd be more in trouble if she URs the 3-2-2 and doomed if she pops anything.

problem is when Mao fails her 3A
she either UR her other jumps or even pops her double jumps too

sure a 3A fall and couple of downgrades could be enough for bronze but not like her nationals FS
it would have to be a meltdown for the ladies for her to land on the podium even with a skate like that

pec0

Match Penalty
Current scoring system for skaters other than Kim is deduction according to her accumulation of errors from Kim's score. It was accounced by an international judge this season, which was just acknowledged in japanese national by a japanese judge. There is no winnig of Asada, clean 3a or not. So Asada seems to be decided that she will challenge no one but herself. I GUESS that jfsf is not really interested in Asada's Olympic medal. So I THINK Asada should do whatever she wants. She has already done enough for Japan's figure skating. It's a surprise that so many people are interested in Asada's 3a though, when she generally disappoint you compared with Kim.