U.S. figure skating champ Aaron to drop from three to two quads | Golden Skate

U.S. figure skating champ Aaron to drop from three to two quads

Taan

On the Ice
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-o...n-figure-skating-dropping-three-two-quads.ap/

Max Aaron was disgusted.

After a sloppy long program at the NHK Trophy in early November sunk him to seventh place, the U.S. champion convened with his support team and deliberated on his options. In an Olympic year, he decided to make a drastic change less than two months before the 2014 U.S. championships: Aaron is dropping from three to two quadruple jumps in his long program.

''Every time I watch a performance, I'm disgusted with how I've skated,'' he said on a conference call Friday. ''It's very hurtful for me.''....
''Still to this day, I'm very embarrassed,'' he said.

bebevia

On the Ice
A very hard thing to openly commit to quality. He's known for his diligence towards athleticism already, but he grows on me even more - besides his looks.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is exactly why I think he'll make a nice comeback at nationals. He's not my favorite U.S. men skater -- though I like him in general -- but I will be rooting for him to skate two great programs at Nationals.

ghislaine

Rinkside
Hmm, with other skaters I think this might work but Max has to rely on his massive tech/jump scores because his artistry is not all the way yet. Catch 22 for him - risky high jump content to raise his score over deficiencies of pcs, or go for a clean performance that might not make up for the lowered tech score.

I am glad he rearranged Carmen but I hope Nichol put more in it, that program is quite empty and not olympic calibre imo.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
If Max can hit the 2 quads, then he will make the Olympic team and do fairly well in Sochi.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
He also re-arranged his FS, music (other sections from Carmen), choreography, placement of jumps and says it's smoother presentation and he feels more comfortable and confident heading into Nationals. He and Lori Nichol watched other Carmen programs including the ballet to get into the emotion of the music.

Thx to Taan and thx again to KKonas. :)

BTW, KKonas, are any other U.S. men scheduled to give teleconferences before Nats?
I see that Zawadzki and Wagner gave theirs today, and I would guess that one with Gold is coming up.
Makes sense that Max as defending champion gave one. Will be interesting to see which other men US Figure Skating is putting forward.

Comment from Tom Zakrajsek ‏@CoachTomZ (cross-posted from the fan thread for Max):
@LynnRutherford This new version has the music pieces and pacing that Lori originally wanted. It shows Max as a complete skater. I like it!
7:08 PM - 27 Dec 13
https://twitter.com/CoachTomZ/status/416767573879836673

A very hard thing to openly commit to quality. He's known for his diligence towards athleticism already, but he grows on me even more - besides his looks.

It's times like these when I question how anyone could not like the guy.

:agree: with bebevia and ATR. The quad decision must have taken some serious soul-searching. Good for Max for holding himself accountable. Look forward to seeing him take the ice in Boston with his head high. :yay:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The headline amuses me. How can Aaron drop from three quads to two when he's never actually landed three quads in a program? As for the change to his planned content, I think it's a wise decision: it'll help him at Nationals and his Olympic prospects were never really dependent on it anyway.

If Max want to be a more complete skater, he needs to pick music that he can relate to and that can highlight his strengths, rather than just rearranging the technical content.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Max is adorable and a great role model for kids! It takes guts to admit one made a mistake and change course this late in the game. It also takes a lot of strength to acknowledge that one has not performed well. Kudos to him! I love the boy!

However, I agree with Buttercup that dropping one quad and adding different music cuts won't be enough to make his overall performance much better. He needs a different approach- he needs to get his own distinctive style and pick music he loves and relates to.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max is adorable and a great role model for kids! It takes guts to admit one made a mistake and change course this late in the game. It also takes a lot of strength to acknowledge that one has not performed well. Kudos to him! I love the boy!

However, I agree with Buttercup that dropping one quad and adding different music cuts won't be enough to make his overall performance much better. He needs a different approach- he needs to get his own distinctive style and pick music he loves and relates to.

When Max announced his FS music (or soon after -- maybe in his TSL interview?), he said that he had been wanting to skate to Carmen since the tender age of nine. :yes:

Hope that the revamped choreo will lead to a performance that satisfies his years of waiting. :)

It puzzles me why any male skater would want to skate to Carmen.

Why not? The opera has two meaty male roles and the music has wonderful whistle-able melodies. (Granted, Max's cuts are not all that whistle-able. :) )

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
With the right music cuts, Carmen can be a perfectly audience-friendly selection for a mens' performance. It is certainly working quite well for Adam Rippon this season in his short program. There are many other examples as well.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
It puzzles me why any male skater would want to skate to Carmen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpOI6ArJco
Works pretty fine to me ;)

I'm really curious to see the changes they made to Max's music arrangement, because that was what I didn't like in his earlier showings. Just like Ashley Wagner's musical choices for her Romeo and Julia.
But overall, I'd still say that his Tron SP from last year was what looked to me as fitting the best with his overall style - kind of like Joubert's Matrix.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I'd wish he'd go back to his last year's SP to Tron Legacy for this Olympic Season:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSacGzEicGM
To me, this year's SP to "Historia de un amor" by Perez Prado makes him look like "he doesn't care all that much about the theme / music". The Tron program made him look far more invested without distracting him from completing the elements.
The program fitted his style much better than his current SP, its choreography was much more intricate and less "forgettable" (aka "meh"), and most importantly, he must have much more positive associations with it than with this year's SP...