Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Upcoming skating teleconferences

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,011

    Upcoming skating teleconferences

    On Monday, Dec 30, Chock & Bates, Castelli/Shnapir, Ross Miner, Jason Brown. on Friday Jan 3, Shibutani's Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon. Previously held Davis/White, Max Aaron, Ashley Wagner. Agnes Zawadzki, Denney/Coughlin, Scimeca/Knierim (I missed these last three.) Don't see Jeremy Abbott on this list.

  2. #2
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    On Monday, Dec 30, Chock & Bates, Castelli/Shnapir, Ross Miner, Jason Brown. on Friday Jan 3, Shibutani's Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon. Previously held Davis/White, Max Aaron, Ashley Wagner. Agnes Zawadzki, Denney/Coughlin, Scimeca/Knierim (I missed these last three.) Don't see Jeremy Abbott on this list.
    Thx, KKonas.
    So three teleconferences per discipline before U.S. Nationals, except four for men: Aaron, Brown, Miner, Rippon.
    Interesting that more men made the cut than ladies.
    (I almost would wonder whether Miner's appeal as a Boston skater ensured his inclusion -- but it must not be true or else Gao should have been scheduled as well.)

    And thx for your reporting in other threads re the calls that you heard. (And for your answer to my question in the Davis/White thread.)

    (@LynnRutherford tweeted notes re the calls with Zawadzki; Denney/Coughlin; and Scimeca/Knierim, if anyone is interested in some of their comments.)

  3. #3
    Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,301
    ^ Yes, same! Thank you so much for keeping us updated!

  4. #4
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,969
    Thanks KKonas!

    Sort of interesting to who they opt to include in these teleconferences. Surprised that Jeremy did not get a call; he is the reigning bronze medalist, but Jason and Adam, who were not on the podium did. (OF course both did the best out of all the men on the GP circuit, so that's probably the logic for their inclusion).

    Anyway, looking forward to hearing updates from the call!

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,011
    Re Ashley Wagner. She said after the GPF that she was happy with her programs and that she was not going to make any changes before Nationals. She also commented on the Russian baby ballerinas saying that she doesn't really watch the other skaters (competitors). She feels her skating is mature and they would all have to worry about changes they will have to deal with after going thru puberty. (Not exact quotes.)

  6. #6
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Thx, KKonas.
    So three teleconferences per discipline before U.S. Nationals, except four for men: Aaron, Brown, Miner, Rippon.
    Interesting that more men made the cut than ladies.
    (I almost would wonder whether Miner's appeal as a Boston skater ensured his inclusion -- but it must not be true or else Gao should have been scheduled as well.)And thx for your reporting in other threads re the calls that you heard. (And for your answer to my question in the Davis/White thread.)

    (@LynnRutherford tweeted notes re the calls with Zawadzki; Denney/Coughlin; and Scimeca/Knierim, if anyone is interested in some of their comments.)
    Perhaps the fact that Ross Miner has been on the podium THE LAST 3 NATIONALS ensured his inclusion in the teleconference? I'm not sure why everyone is counting him out at this point. Yes, he's had a bad year but his track record for nationals is pretty good!

  7. #7
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    .... Sort of interesting to who they opt to include in these teleconferences. Surprised that Jeremy did not get a call; he is the reigning bronze medalist, but Jason and Adam, who were not on the podium did. (OF course both did the best out of all the men on the GP circuit, so that's probably the logic for their inclusion). ...
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sskatergirl View Post
    Perhaps the fact that Ross Miner has been on the podium THE LAST 3 NATIONALS ensured his inclusion in the teleconference? I'm not sure why everyone is counting him out at this point. Yes, he's had a bad year but his track record for nationals is pretty good!
    Hi, 80sskatergirl:

    Sorry if I was not clear above. Noooo disrespect intended to Miner, whom I like. I am not counting him out.
    I'm glad that he will be giving a teleconference and will be able to preview the case that he will make for the podium in Boston and for one of the two Sochi spots.

    That said, I do believe that Abbott watchers are justified in wishing that he too had been invited to give a teleconference.
    Although his record since the last Olympics has been uneven, overall Abbott surely has accomplished at least as much as Miner (and as the other men). And of course, Abbott's previous Olympic experience is a feather in his cap.

    It's not that I think that Miner is any less deserving than the other three men with teleconferences this year.
    It's that Abbott is equally deserving to the four with teleconferences -- but was not included on the list.

    And as I said above, it is notable that only three entries from each of the other disciples are on the list for teleconferences.
    So on some level, it seems that USFS decided to include an "extra" man.
    Because Max is the defending champion, my hunch is that he is not the "extra" man. The extra could be any of the other three, IMHO. I agree with what you said about Miner. And I agree with what Mrs. P said about Brown, Rippon -- and Abbott (who clearly is not the extra).

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    On Monday, Dec 30, Chock & Bates, Castelli/Shnapir, Ross Miner, Jason Brown. on Friday Jan 3, Shibutani's Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon. Previously held Davis/White, Max Aaron, Ashley Wagner. Agnes Zawadzki, Denney/Coughlin, Scimeca/Knierim (I missed these last three.) Don't see Jeremy Abbott on this list.
    where do these happen?? how can we hear them?

  9. #9
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Hi, 80sskatergirl:

    Sorry if I was not clear above. Noooo disrespect intended to Miner, whom I like. I am not counting him out.
    I'm glad that he will be giving a teleconference and will be able to preview the case that he will make for the podium in Boston and for one of the two Sochi spots.

    That said, I do believe that Abbott watchers are justified in wishing that he too had been invited to give a teleconference.
    Although his record since the last Olympics has been uneven, overall Abbott surely has accomplished at least as much as Miner (and as the other men). And of course, Abbott's previous Olympic experience is a feather in his cap.

    It's not that I think that Miner is any less deserving than the other three men with teleconferences this year.
    It's that Abbott is equally deserving to the four with teleconferences -- but was not included on the list.

    And as I said above, it is notable that only three entries from each of the other disciples are on the list for teleconferences.
    So on some level, it seems that USFS decided to include an "extra" man.
    Because Max is the defending champion, my hunch is that he is not the "extra" man. The extra could be any of the other three, IMHO. I agree with what you said about Miner. And I agree with what Mrs. P said about Brown, Rippon -- and Abbott (who clearly is not the extra).
    Thanks for clarifying Golden411. Sorry, I guess I have gotten a little defensive lately about Miner! It seems he is on a lot of people's "do not want to go to the Olympics list" in this forum and I am one of what seems a few who wants him to go! I agree with you, not sure why Abbott wouldn't have a teleconference too? Who knows, maybe he was asked and he turned it down wanting to focus on nationals? You never know. Anyway, any clue how we can catch a glimpse of these teleconferences? Ice network perhaps??

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    where do these happen?? how can we hear them?
    Icenetwork often replays the teleconferences at a later date.

  11. #11
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,969
    Also, Lynn Rutherford (www.twitter.com/lynnrutherford) is good about tweeting highlights in real time.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,011
    Just off teleconference with Chock & Bates. Bates got his degree in Organizational Studies at the U. of Mich. Said they will be concentrating mostly on consistency going into Nationals. Finnstep Levels were a problem in GP with Level 1s but both say they have improved on their levels going into Boston and needed to do that to make the Oly team. They like the idea of the team event even though they may not be a part of it this time. Bates says he doesn't see a negative for the event. Neither are worried about Russian security for the Games.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,011
    Just off teleconference with Castelli/Shnapir. Simon says (even though he was born in Moscow and speaks fluent Russian), he never competed in Russia and is looking forward to the possibility of doing so in Sochi. Last time he was in Russia was 1999 to see relatives, he wasn't skating pairs.
    Also they are looking forward to having Nationals in their hometown (Boston). Plan on doing their quad throw but will not do triple combo jump in FS, plan on doing single triple toe and single triple Salchow instead. Simon said he likes the idea of the team event in Sochi and has looked at the schedule being so close to pairs competition but is now just focused on doing their best in Boston and making the Oly Team.

  14. #14
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    I assume Abbot could have decided not to participate in the teleconference... with a lot of negative type questions finding him lately he may want to stay away from those voices getting into his head...

  15. #15
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I assume Abbot could have decided not to participate in the teleconference... with a lot of negative type questions finding him lately he may want to stay away from those voices getting into his head...
    Can you actually opt-out of a conference? I would think if you were asked you would have to do so...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •