Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Krylova and Ovsiannikov 1999 FD

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    I love love love love love this dance. One of the frustrations I have with Ice Dancing is that it's really a misnomer. It really should be called Ballroom Dancing on Ice. And I find that so limiting. For example, it killed Voir's Carmen piece--having to meld a classic ballroom-style circular step sequence onto really exciting modern dance moves. Just think of how exciting Ice Dancing could be if they truly opened it up to other styles--this piece by K/O being a prime example.
    I agree that many great dances that veered too far off the expected were underappreciated by judges. Duchensays many of their early programs, especialy the Jungle themed one; and yes Virtue & Moirs Carmen FD was a prime example of this. However I think the Jungle themed FD of K&O was actually an overappreciated piece of work. I am sure there are some who enjoyed it (although judging by the booing of the audience to the final results of Europeans and Worlds that year, not the majority) so to each their own.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    As for comparision to the Duchensays while overall as a dance team K&O >>>>> Duchensays, especialy in technical ability, the Duchensays version of a Jungle themed routine was far better interpreted, choreographed, utilized of the music, emotional, and enjoyable all around.
    I agree, but most importantly (for me!), the Duchesnay's version was original, one might even use the often used word "innovative".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bO1mBvQP-o
    Krylova/Ovsyannikov's was a pale copy. Just to be clear: I really liked Krylova/Ovsyannikov, particularly their 97' Waltz Masquerade and 96' Russian Folk FDs. But that badge engineered Duchesnay FD was off-topic to me. K/O were a great couple, but revolutionary/shocking they were not.

Duchesnays got the judges' beating back then (8th at the Olympics, 6th at Worlds) while K/O won everything that season with this program.

Custom Title
    It just shows how political ice dancing is that K&O went undefeated that year with that program. Ugh! And like you said the Duchensays placing so low with that creative, original, groundbreaking, and genius piece of work (and yes I understand their tech marks being mid 5s, but their presentation marks should have been sky high but were often much lower than their technical and all over the board as the judges didnt know what to make of it).

Off topic but I also think K&O were going to see themselves dethroned by A&P in the 99-2000 season had they continued. I saw K&Os Carmina Burana at the 2000 World Pros and while it was good, it wasnt anything extraordinary and not as good as A&Ps which was without doubt their finest ever work. Combine that with the Grand Prix final and Worlds both being in France, and the negavity towards K&O for their controversial 99 wins, and I see A&P probably coming out ahead that season However I believe K&O would have climbed back on top the following season and probably still won the 2002 OGM over A&P. I do agree that overall they are the better team, even though I didnt agree with their 99 wins at all. It was a shame we didnt see the rivalry continue between two great teams, and instead saw ISU fabricate rivals for A&P and pay off old debts from the Nagano bloc judging, with the ridiculous World titles and Olympic Gold medal challenges of clearly inferior teams like Fusar Poli & Margalio and Lobacheva & Averubhk.

Custom Title
    I don't mean to be a critic, and I don't really follow ice dance, but this just seemed sloppy to me. I was really surprised at how often they would kick a leg back or lift an arm and were not in sync with each other, the angles and positions didn't match each other and the movement wasn't on any particular beat of the music for either of them. I could see it was fast and intricate, but at the expense of clarity and staying in sync.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    It just shows how political ice dancing is that K&O went undefeated that year with that program. Ugh! And like you said the Duchensays placing so low with that creative, original, groundbreaking, and genius piece of work (and yes I understand their tech marks being mid 5s, but their presentation marks should have been sky high but were often much lower than their technical and all over the board as the judges didnt know what to make of it).
    I can't speak for what the judges made of it, not being inside their heads.

But the Duchensays moved UP in the world in 1988 thanks in part to that dance, passing or trading places with several teams who had beaten them in 1987. They won their first European medal that year. If anything, the innovative choreography helped them and got them noticed, it didn't hurt them.

What probably did hurt them was their relative lack of refinement in terms of edge quality and body line. The 1988 programs, and several of their programs from subsequent seasons, found ways to make that rawness an asset and not so much a drawback.

And I'll repeat that I don't think that Krylova/Ovsiannikov, unlike the Duchesnays, were trying to do a raw emotional performance about a man and woman facing dangers in the jungle. I think their program was always intended to be a more abstract exploration of rhythm. Not the same purpose at all.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    (x_x)
    whatever you want, but pangtongfan and gkelly, it's
    Duche s n ays!!! arrghhh!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2