Krylova and Ovsiannikov 1999 FD | Golden Skate

Krylova and Ovsiannikov 1999 FD

FSGMT

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLwSDFgBm0U
I have two questions about this program:
1) Their performance at Worlds was the only one of this program that I was able to find... doesn anyone know where I can watch their program from 1999 Euros or GPF?
2) What do you think about it? I do not usually like this kind of programs, but I find this FASCINATING every time I watch it, I just can't take my eyes off them, I LOVE this choreography, their great lifts, the excitement they create!

Yes, it was a very good progam. Linichuk wanted to break their classical image. Even then, you could still see easily their classical background. It was the right move, in an post Olys season. Too bad AP had an emotional masterpiece that year, if not, they wouldn't have almost won everything that seaons as the russian were clearly superior skaters.
Linichuk would go on with LA with their Allegria FD and the one they presented at euro 2000, but they couldn't skate them well. While she did a very classical Carmina Burana for KO because of the nightmare 1999 season. Watch the ordinal at euros and you'll know why.
At 1999 GPF in St Peterbourg, AP complained their music wasn't played loud enough on purpose.

I'll check for the other performances, in case I can maybe provide you some of them.

Kirk

Rinkside
Ever since you posted this clip I think I've watched it four or five times. You are right. It is a very fascinating work that draws you in. Like the commentator is saying, this is the dance for the sake of rhythm. Amazing. Even muted, I feel like I am hearing the music. I especially like the second latter part where everything they do builds up towards the big bang at the end.
There are also some of the most daring lifts even for the current Ice Dance standard while most of them now are like acrobatic, they managed to incorporate seamlessly into the theme of this performance.

Thank you for posting this, FSGMT!

irinas

Rinkside
For me, this dance is their signature piece, but it's overly under appreciated. :/

Up until the WC in Helsinki, Krylova and Ovsiannikov struggled to make a good impression on judges due to the unnatural character of the music and choreography, despite the fact that they interpreted it perfectly, with great attention to detail and rhythm. Kudos to them for having stuck with it and finally making it work at the most important event of the season.

Anyway, their performances from GPF, EC, WC (higher quality, with slow-mo and marks, including Anjelika's mothers reaction) are available to download on FSVids.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I love love love love love this dance. One of the frustrations I have with Ice Dancing is that it's really a misnomer. It really should be called Ballroom Dancing on Ice. And I find that so limiting. For example, it killed Voir's Carmen piece--having to meld a classic ballroom-style circular step sequence onto really exciting modern dance moves. Just think of how exciting Ice Dancing could be if they truly opened it up to other styles--this piece by K/O being a prime example.

Big Deal

Final Flight
This dance is a reminescence or "re-make" of the Duscehsnays legendary dance choreographed by Cristopher Dean back in 1988.
Of course, Krylova-Ovsiannikov have had a much better technique than of the Dusceshnays, but on the other hand they never seemed to be familiar and confident with this sort of dance, it was more like a gymnastic routine than a dance for them and it was far from being effortless.
So I much prefer the Duschesnays' original version and I was heartbroken for Anissina-Peizerat losing to them with their goergous, moving "The man in the iron mask" program....

Rewatching this is also very obvious that Linichuk has tried to "re-use" this kind of dance in 2010. to the infamous "aboriginal" original dance of Domnina-Shabalin, which turned out to be a nightmare and made the tam to lose the Olympics. But Linichuk has never been a talented or innovative coach, she was a brilliant technical coach.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This thread has prompted me to emerge from years of lurkdom here :) I was fortunate enough to see K/Os 1999 worlds FD in person (Helsinki was my first Worlds). I have never forgotten this spectacular FD and was disappointed that the crowd in Helsinki was very pro A/P and IMO, did not give K/O their due. I was also surprised when I watched what I'd recorded on ESPN2. Judy Blumberg was the commentator and kind of put K/O down, saying the Duschenay's had already done this type of dance--and done it better (IIRC). It was infuriating for her to say that. Anyway, I can see that FD clearly in my mind's eye to this day. Sadly, it was the last worlds for Anjelika and Oleg.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well I see that bigdeal beat me to it. I must respectfully disagree--I liked it much better than the Dushenays. Are you Judy Blumberg bigdeal? Just kidding :)

Big Deal

Final Flight
As I mentioned that K/O have had a much better technique than of the Dushesnays, but the latters performed this dance by passion and by heart.
For me the "gymnastic routine" of K/O was somewhat agressive and had VERY little dance hold (unless Anissina whole freedance was in the most difficult dance hold, which makes much more difficult to keep the synchronization and gaining the necessary speed than the easy "open hold" of K/O).
But nothing wrong with that you like K/O more. We only have different understanding and point of view of ice dance...

I'm almost sure that you are more a fan of Davis/White than Virtue/Moir (my favourites). Even if both of these recent couples are far better than K/o or A/P, the difference between their style is a bit similar than here in 1999.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
For me the "gymnastic routine" of K/O was somewhat agressive and had VERY little dance hold (unless Anissina whole freedance was in the most difficult dance hold, which makes much more difficult to keep the synchronization and gaining the necessary speed than the easy "open hold" of K/O).
Well, I have to say that I kind of appreciate the fact that there are not a lot of difficult dance holds: as WeakAnkles pointed out, this was not intended to be ballroom dancing, so a lot of close dance holds would have been incoherent with the theme of the dance. The section between 3:24 and 3:30, however, for example is wonderful!

gkelly

Record Breaker
One of the frustrations I have with Ice Dancing is that it's really a misnomer. It really should be called Ballroom Dancing on Ice. And I find that so limiting.

Yes, ice dance did start out as ballroom dancing on ice. CDs and OSPs/ODs/SDs have continued to require ballroom themes.

By the 1980s free dance was more about being athletic to rhythmic music, with ballroom themes most common but drama or comedy or abstract themes also becoming possible. Rules in the mid-90s reinforced ballroom expectations, but then those were loosened up again by the late 90s.

For example, it killed Voir's Carmen piece--having to meld a classic ballroom-style circular step sequence onto really exciting modern dance moves. Just think of how exciting Ice Dancing could be if they truly opened it up to other styles--this piece by K/O being a prime example.

Since "circular step sequence" (or straight-line/diagonal step sequence, or midline nontouching step sequence) is a function of skating technique and rules, I don't see why it has to be seen as enforcing ballroom any more than other possible themes.

Rewording some of the rules might help.

E.g., instead of discussing "dance holds," the rules for step sequences in hold, as well as for the program as a whole, could just require that partners remaining in physical contact with each other at all times except for changes of hold, brief separations of limited duration (e.g., 5 seconds), and the twizzle sequence and nontouching step sequence.

The rules used to state, as guidelines for teams and judges, that face-to-face holds are considered more difficult than side-by-side holds. It could be that certain kinds of face-to-face (or back-to-back) connections could be defined as increasing the level in step sequences, dance spins, lift entries, etc. Some have ballroom names, some don't.

"Kilian hold" is specifically a skating term, derived from a compulsory dance but not standard in off-ice ballroom dance. Maybe some folk dance. It's harder than hand-in-hand holds but generally easier than face to face or back to back. So defining the use of that hold would reflect traditional skating values but not so much ballroom per se.

This dance is a reminescence or "re-make" of the Duscehsnays legendary dance choreographed by Cristopher Dean back in 1988."

Reminiscent, sure, but hardly a remake.

For one thing, the story/relationship between the partners seems to be completely different.

I don't see that one is a version of the same dance as the other with these two programs any more than, say, Krylova/Ovsiannikov's Carmen is a remake of Bestemianova/Bukin's Carmen, or one latin or polka or New Age program would be a remake of a previous latin or polka or New Age program, even if inspired in general terms by the earlier program.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Anyway, their performances from GPF, EC, WC (higher quality, with slow-mo and marks, including Anjelika's mothers reaction) are available to download on FSVids.
Can anyone explain how this site works? :confused: How can I obtain "an invitation-code from an existing member"?

And, does anyone remember which were the programs that K/O had prepared for the 1999/2000 season (before they knew that they were forced to retire)?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It's a good program but I prefer others by them because I can't stand the music. The eye on her dress is rather distracting too. My favourite program by them is Carmen, followed closely by Masquerade Waltz and the '96 FD to Russian music.

Big Deal

Final Flight
It's a good program but I prefer others by them

I' cannot agree more. It was an excellent couple with many better programme than this one, that is what I already explained.
The only question remained unanswered about them:
Had they always been tasteful or not? They have had the "typical über"-reacting style which sometimes was distracting for me. The reason of my feeling should be that these 2 matched very well technically, but mismatched in some other way.
Anjelika was always dramatic and Oleg sometimes acted so arteficially it almost looked like a charicature of himself which made him rather clown-ish. It is sad, because he was a great dancer otherwise.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
For me, this dance is their signature piece, but it's overly under appreciated. :/

Up until the WC in Helsinki, Krylova and Ovsiannikov struggled to make a good impression on judges due to the unnatural character of the music and choreography, despite the fact that they interpreted it perfectly, with great attention to detail and rhythm. Kudos to them for having stuck with it and finally making it work at the most important event of the season.

They went undefeated that season, so I dont see how they failed to make a good impression to the judges. Personally I think it wasnt a very good program at all, and they did not deserve any of their major titles that year, especialy both the Europeans and Grand Prix final. Worlds atleast was close, as they improved the version of it for that event, and Nations Cup I would have had them losing to Bourne & Kraatz (this was their absolute worst version of it).

As for comparision to the Duchensays while overall as a dance team K&O >>>>> Duchensays, especialy in technical ability, the Duchensays version of a Jungle themed routine was far better interpreted, choreographed, utilized of the music, emotional, and enjoyable all around.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I love love love love love this dance. One of the frustrations I have with Ice Dancing is that it's really a misnomer. It really should be called Ballroom Dancing on Ice. And I find that so limiting. For example, it killed Voir's Carmen piece--having to meld a classic ballroom-style circular step sequence onto really exciting modern dance moves. Just think of how exciting Ice Dancing could be if they truly opened it up to other styles--this piece by K/O being a prime example.

I agree that many great dances that veered too far off the expected were underappreciated by judges. Duchensays many of their early programs, especialy the Jungle themed one; and yes Virtue & Moirs Carmen FD was a prime example of this. However I think the Jungle themed FD of K&O was actually an overappreciated piece of work. I am sure there are some who enjoyed it (although judging by the booing of the audience to the final results of Europeans and Worlds that year, not the majority) so to each their own.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
As for comparision to the Duchensays while overall as a dance team K&O >>>>> Duchensays, especialy in technical ability, the Duchensays version of a Jungle themed routine was far better interpreted, choreographed, utilized of the music, emotional, and enjoyable all around.

I agree, but most importantly (for me!), the Duchesnay's version was original, one might even use the often used word "innovative".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bO1mBvQP-o
Krylova/Ovsyannikov's was a pale copy. Just to be clear: I really liked Krylova/Ovsyannikov, particularly their 97' Waltz Masquerade and 96' Russian Folk FDs. But that badge engineered Duchesnay FD was off-topic to me. K/O were a great couple, but revolutionary/shocking they were not.

Duchesnays got the judges' beating back then (8th at the Olympics, 6th at Worlds) while K/O won everything that season with this program. :scowl:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It just shows how political ice dancing is that K&O went undefeated that year with that program. Ugh! And like you said the Duchensays placing so low with that creative, original, groundbreaking, and genius piece of work (and yes I understand their tech marks being mid 5s, but their presentation marks should have been sky high but were often much lower than their technical and all over the board as the judges didnt know what to make of it).

Off topic but I also think K&O were going to see themselves dethroned by A&P in the 99-2000 season had they continued. I saw K&Os Carmina Burana at the 2000 World Pros and while it was good, it wasnt anything extraordinary and not as good as A&Ps which was without doubt their finest ever work. Combine that with the Grand Prix final and Worlds both being in France, and the negavity towards K&O for their controversial 99 wins, and I see A&P probably coming out ahead that season However I believe K&O would have climbed back on top the following season and probably still won the 2002 OGM over A&P. I do agree that overall they are the better team, even though I didnt agree with their 99 wins at all. It was a shame we didnt see the rivalry continue between two great teams, and instead saw ISU fabricate rivals for A&P and pay off old debts from the Nagano bloc judging, with the ridiculous World titles and Olympic Gold medal challenges of clearly inferior teams like Fusar Poli & Margalio and Lobacheva & Averubhk.

ivy

On the Ice
I don't mean to be a critic, and I don't really follow ice dance, but this just seemed sloppy to me. I was really surprised at how often they would kick a leg back or lift an arm and were not in sync with each other, the angles and positions didn't match each other and the movement wasn't on any particular beat of the music for either of them. I could see it was fast and intricate, but at the expense of clarity and staying in sync.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It just shows how political ice dancing is that K&O went undefeated that year with that program. Ugh! And like you said the Duchensays placing so low with that creative, original, groundbreaking, and genius piece of work (and yes I understand their tech marks being mid 5s, but their presentation marks should have been sky high but were often much lower than their technical and all over the board as the judges didnt know what to make of it).

I can't speak for what the judges made of it, not being inside their heads.

But the Duchensays moved UP in the world in 1988 thanks in part to that dance, passing or trading places with several teams who had beaten them in 1987. They won their first European medal that year. If anything, the innovative choreography helped them and got them noticed, it didn't hurt them.

What probably did hurt them was their relative lack of refinement in terms of edge quality and body line. The 1988 programs, and several of their programs from subsequent seasons, found ways to make that rawness an asset and not so much a drawback.

And I'll repeat that I don't think that Krylova/Ovsiannikov, unlike the Duchesnays, were trying to do a raw emotional performance about a man and woman facing dangers in the jungle. I think their program was always intended to be a more abstract exploration of rhythm. Not the same purpose at all.