Man found guilty of assaulting skaters | Golden Skate

Man found guilty of assaulting skaters

southwest wind

Rinkside
So often people do not have the support or the ability to bring something like this to trial. I applaud their fortitude and that of those who have supported and helped them.

An Ontario judge has convicted a man of drugging and sexually assaulting two Canadian figure skaters, calling his ''patently absurd.''''I can't believe any of his evidence, nor do I,'' Mr. Justice Todd Archibald said in his hourlong oral judgment yesterday.

Outside the court, the {skater} man said he was ecstatic at the outcome. "Hopefully he'll get what he deserves at the sentencing," he said, adding that the process of going to police and testifying at trial "is well worth it."

Crown attorney Sue Orlando indicated to the judge she will likely seek a penitentiary term of more than two years.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040204.wutskate04/BNStory/National/?query=skating

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
southwest wind:

I don't recall hearing any of this on the new. These skaters, did put themselves in a bad situation so, it's not surprising what happened. I hope they learned a lesson from this.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Ladskater,

With all due respect, I have to comment on your statement
These skaters, did put themselves in a bad situation so, it's not surprising what happened. I hope they learned a lesson from this.

Before I begin, you need to know that while I have the utmost respect for you as a poster on this board, and read your posts with interest, your comments on this particular issue are truly appalling to me.

Having worked with victims of sexual abuse, I know first hand the feelings that go along with such horrible abuse. It is difficult enough for people to come forward (men especially) and confront their abusers. It is comments like yours that add to their own feelings of guilt and can deter them from coming forward in the first place. Your suggesting that they put themselves in a position to be sexually assaulted by their choice to have a few drinks with an acquaintance is truly offensive.

They were adults who made an adult decision to partake in a socially acceptable adult situation - having a few drinks with a friends. Just because they chose to do this does not permit another human being to sexually take advantage of anyone. Often times, my husband and I have invited friends for drinks, and it frightens me to think that if something horrible happened in one of those situations, normally reasonable people like yourself would suggest that we put ourselves in the positon, and needed to learn a lesson.

Ladskater, these were adults who had every right to have a few drinks with a social acquaintance. It was not an invitation to him to engage in anauthorized sexual touching or intercourse. You said it is not surprising that it happened. What is surprising to me is attitudes like yours. Sexual assault is NEVER the victims fault, and victims should NEVER have to deal with attitudes like yours towards what is an attrocious act of power and control by sick individuals.

Kasey

Medalist
Ladskater, you have the right to your opinion. As I am currently involved in helping a friend overcoming the aftermath of a sexual assault, mine is quite different. My MALE friend had gone to a sports bar for dinner and a beer while watching a football game. His drink was drugged and he was sexually and physically assaulted by two people, which is the situation he woke up into. Is it wrong for someone to go out to a meal alone? And to drink a beer in public? Maybe yes, these two people were adults, and I am sure they have "learned something" from the situation. But fact is, a man and woman can go home together, get undressed, engage in foreplay and other such things, and be in the actual act of sex, and if the woman changes her mind and says "no", it HAS to stop....even if she "led" the guy on....etc. Even adults have the right to be protected from unwanted sexual assault.

Kasey

heyang

Record Breaker
Date rape drugs aren't used only in alcoholic beverages. It's really a shame how everyone must be on guard wherever they go.

I'm glad the 2 victims had the perseverance to go through with putting an enormously private horror out into a public forum. Even with the media ban, anyone who appeared in court will know who they are.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
sk8tngcanuck:

That is good that they did go to the authorities about this, and seek counselling, but would it have not been far wiser to avoid the situation in the first place? The Bible says "You reap what you sow." People are sometimes far too trusting of people they meet in social settings and let their guard down. From what I read in the article it sounds like they were expecting a sexual encounter with this individual. Usually alchohol impedes peoples judgement and they do things without knowing.

Sure they are adults and have a free will, but even adults make poor choices at times and things go awry. Then one must pay the consequences.

Think what you like about my observations, but I think it is wiser to make better choices in life and avoid situations like this.

I wish these skaters well and hope they continue with their skating.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Gee, why don't we all place the blame on all victims of rape because they all had to do something to put themselves in that situation right?

:rolleye:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hmmm....

Just got through reading the aforementioned article. And at first I was rather confused, especially about the following quote:

"The manager of a Stitiches clothing store testified that he and the two other skaters, one male and one female, had been drinking heavily the night of July 12, 2001, when they 'spontaneously' engaged in a threesome."

From this quote, I initially thought at first that this person (aka The Manager) was an objective eyewitness. However, in retrospect, I take it that this is the man that engaged in the aforementioned activity.

If the above being the case, then - no - I do not believe this guy.........whom IMHO will say anything to get away with what he did...........that is, drugging & taking advantage of the two skaters.

The reason I feel the way that I do is b/c something similar happened to my older sister in h.s.......15 yrs. of age at the time.........whom innocently took a sip of alcohol that was handed to her by a group of girls in the bathroom. Well it turns out these so-called friends were jealous of her - being a model & beauty at the time - they had slipped LSD into the drink. And my sister ended up jumping out of a 2nd floor window & being subsequently driven to the hospital. Young, innocent & naive - yes - asking for it, NO bleeping WAY! And, no, she no longer accepts beverages from friends.......not even family........b/c it scarred her that much (no lie).

By the way, yada, yada, to those people whom get on their high horse & say live-and-learn. Wait till it happens to someone you love. Or even a friend, or someone you don't even know, but care about. I don't know about anybody else, but knowing me, I WILL fight back ~ come hell or high water, I will. And on that note, I say:

CHEERS TO THESE TWO YOUNG PEOPLE THAT HAD THE GUTS TO STEP FORWARD & GET THIS GUY CONVICTED, SO HE CAN'T DO IT TO ANYBODY ELSE! {two thumbs way up}

Peace & In A Vigilante Mood (lol, that's a contradiction if not an oxymoron, oh my)! Nadine :D

Last edited:

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
sk8tngcanuck:

That is good that they did go to the authorities about this, and seek counselling, but would it have not been far wiser to avoid the situation in the first place? The Bible says "You reap what you sow." People are sometimes far too trusting of people they meet in social settings and let their guard down. From what I read in the article it sounds like they were expecting a sexual encounter with this individual. Usually alchohol impedes peoples judgement and they do things without knowing.

Sure they are adults and have a free will, but even adults make poor choices at times and things go awry. Then one must pay the consequences.

Think what you like about my observations, but I think it is wiser to make better choices in life and avoid situations like this.

I wish these skaters well and hope they continue with their skating.

I have read the article more than once, and I fail to see where anything in it supports your statement that "it sounds like they were expecting a sexual encounter with this individual". If anything, the presentation of evidence regarding their own personal relationship, if true (and no one except the defendant seems to have contradicted such evidence) argues exactly the opposite.

What personal evidence would you care to share that "alchohol (sp) impedes peoples (sp) judgement and they do things without knowing"? Otherwise, you seem to be making a value judgment not necessarily related to the facts of the case, and I would frankly find that to be an unfair judgment on your part regarding this specific case and these individuals, IMHO.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
ladskater,

You write:

"That is good that they did go to the authorities about this, and seek counselling, but would it have not been far wiser to avoid the situation in the first place? The Bible says "You reap what you sow."

How can you possibly suggest it is biblical to expect to be sexually assaulted when one chooses to put themself in a social situation?

You continue with the following:

"Sure they are adults and have a free will, but even adults make poor choices at times and things go awry. Then one must pay the consequences.

Think what you like about my observations, but I think it is wiser to make better choices in life and avoid situations like this. "

Two ADULTS joined another adult in a social situation, they had a few drinks which the last time I checked was a socially acceptable thing to do. Considering one generally assumes safety in numbers, their expectations of any possible wrong doing was probably negated by the fact that there were TWO of them and only one other individual.

I fail to see what part of this scenario you feel justifies their being sexually assaulted.

A man had sex with them AGAINST THEIR WILL. There is nothing biblical or right about this. They did not deserve it. You say they must "pay the consequences", yet you fail to explain what in the world they should be "paying" for. Socializing with another? Having a few alcoholic beverages?

I am trying very very hard to understand your point of view and how you can possibly feel that they deserved to be assaulted, but my shock at your placing the blame on the victim is making this very difficult.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Wow....

IMO there is NO situation, none, ever, ever that justifies sexual assault.

Ladskater, if having drinks with friends is a justification for sexual assault (the victim's fault) what OTHER situations would you see as inviting sexual assault??

If I'm grocery shopping after dark and get raped on the way to my car, is it my fault for being out alone after dark?

If I wear a skirt above my knees and get raped, is it my fault because I was dressed too provacatively?

If I go to the bathroom in a public place and get raped in the bathroom is it my fault for pulling my pants down in a public restroom?

Just wondering where you draw the line with this stuff.

DG

mpal2

Final Flight
As an individual who does believe in the Bible, I'm offended that it is being used to say the victims are responsible. At some point evil is just evil and the innocent suffer. :\ It's this type of "Chrisianity" that turns everyone away from it. You can be lost sitting in a church pew as easily as sitting at a bar. At least the people in a bar don't claim to be saved.

I do believe our actions have consequences, but this is one scenario where the victim's will feel guilt for the rest of their lives for something that isn't their fault. They don't deserve that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
referencing the Bible doesn't nessecerily mean you believe in it(I am not saying anyone here is or isn't anything... just making a statement)... however I agree it's the out of context use of Bible Passages that alienates many from Christianity

getting back on track, this just breaks my heart... obviously the Catholic Church isn't the only ones having serious issues with rape...

on a similar note: anybody hear anything new on the David Lowry case?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just wanted to say something....

My previous post was in reply to the article that was posted.....didn't mean to jump on anyone.....and if I did, I apologize. Honestly.

Btw, my aforementioned post was said in the heat of the moment........have been following the "Carlie Brucia" Case all week long.........and as such, I have been feeling tense/upset/mad/angry/et al, and my post reflected that. Anyhow, sadly, now it's all over, and my heart is broken for the family. But most of all I'm with John Walsh ~ just disgusted with our legal system here in America! :mad: Heck, I know in some other countries the punishment fits the crime, but here in America *bah*. Which is why though we are the richest country, we also have the highest crime rate. Sad. :cry:

In closing, just wanted to say that we all have the right to our own individual opinions and I would hate to see someone not posting b/c of the feeling that s/he will get pounced on b/c of expressing his/her own. Thus, please don't feel that way fellow posters & lurkers. I know *exactly* how y'all feel. Honestly. But that's what makes us all unique ~ our differing opinions, history, walks-of-life, cultures, et al ~ how boring the world would be if we were all alike. :\

Peace, Nadine