Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Movies you've seen?

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Did anyone see the remake of Gatsby? My PCA gave me a code to Netflix. I took her to see Hunger 2 but she had never seen hunger one. I just wonder what movies came out during 2013 that were worth watching.

Here is my difficulty:

Movies now are mostly:

1)dark
    2)scary
    3) grungy realism-sad-violent
    4) expensive at theatre tho with my hair not died, and medication over weight, I sadly got the senior discount (hoping it was 55) so movies are a lot, and my pcas are who I go with... If I had a little one, I'd do Disney/animation. Loved Finding nemo. I have not seen the twilight series or even Harry potter. Is there still such a category as clean adult movies?

I saw Liberace from Redbox. It was sad, and I really don't like watching sex...yes, major prude. I cannot imagine how they will do "Shades of Grey." Ugh.

So Heyang, can you give me some details about the books? Why for example Is PanEm so stainless and futuristic but clothes so retro, fussy, in the way? Who gets to live in the Capitol? And if they can make live beasts out of thin air, why does the whole country live in poverty when they can mfg what they want in the games?

Thanks if they address this. Looks like I have to read book 3, cant wait for next movie.

Any movie suggestions much appreciated. I don't care what era or genre just maybe uplifting, true stories, like Secretariat, that kind of thing. biographies of famous into movies I love those too. I want to see some old Meryl movies and Netflix did not have them. Maybe I need a list of Top 100 movies to start with.

The Hunger Games takes place 300-500 years from now, so they have the ability to create mutations (like Craker Jackers and Jabber Jays). They are not made out of thin air.

The other districts dress retro because they are very poor and starving. Catastophic events (nationwide fires, rising sea levels, etc) occurred in the past which left them without cell phones, satellites, etc. Katniss lives in what was once Appalachia.

Secretariat was poorly done! I am a big horse racing fan--Penny Chenery was not there when Secretariat was born, nor was Lucien Laurin. There was no battle between Secretariat's connections and those of Sham's --Pancho Martin. I was watching it and shaking my head.

Secretariat won the Belmont by 31 lenths but the film failed to capture the excitement and glory.

The Conjuring--very scary and based on a true story. The real Annabelle the doll was not the creepy one depicted in the film but a Reggedy Ann doll.

Banned
    I think that I loved Mulan and Alladin with Robin in the lead role. But it is so much better if you have a little one to share it with you. I think you might be the biggest Disney fan I know. I guess your whole family makes "pilgrimages" to Disneyworld. I went once many years ago It was sad, of course, in parts, but not depressing. But my most lingering feeling

Finally saw The Butler. I'm not in love with it like people were when it was in theaters. It has a GREAT cast (except for Fonda, but I digress). But they seemed to focus more on the cameos. The history of it was great but took a back seat to stuff that just... yeah...

My friend whom I watched with agreed. We weren't impressed. I get why it got "snubbed" by the awards shows. I'd like to see 12 Years A Slave, just to judge the two.

I'd like to see 12 Years a Slave - but am rather afraid to! I hear it's a bit.. rough. Maybe I'll settle for reading the book some day.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on The Butler, Tonichelle - they go towards affirming my lukewarm impressions of it. I might watch it some day - but maybe not. At any rate, I don't feel as if it's exactly top of my list...

I kept waiting for this watershed moment that I was supposedly going to have. Basically the trailers that were shown for weeks before the movie hit theaters is all you need to know the whole story. It really was just a longer version of that... Stuff they should've spent time on they blew right through... and then the last 20+ minutes it's basically a campaigning video. Which I kinda saw coming, but still... I don't like it when it feels like a movie is FORCING you to feel something... I like it when it comes naturally like you're really experiencing it - not just being told to... if that makes sense?

My mom when she saw the Golden Globes' look at 12 Years A Slave said "so, it's a new version of Roots?" - which is kinda how I feel it will probably be... but I'd still love to see it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Secretariat was poorly done! I am a big horse racing fan--Penny Chenery was not there when Secretariat was born, nor was Lucien Laurin. There was no battle between Secretariat's connections and those of Sham's --Pancho Martin. I was watching it and shaking my head.

Secretariat won the Belmont by 31 lenths but the film failed to capture the excitement and glory.
    I probably avoided Secretariat because I had loved Seabiscuit so much, whether that film was exactly true to the original events or not. (There has to be some artistic license in a movie--for example, in films where Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots meet, one has to appreciate the dramatic possibilities of the encounter, though in history the two never met face to face, I believe.) Seabiscuit, based on a great book, was so powerful and made the characters stand out. (Real-life jockey Gary Stevens as George "Iceman" Woolf was especially believable.)

As for Secretariat, like you, I remember Big Red's miracle year. That Belmont run was like nothing else any of us ever saw. I still get chills from that newspaper photo of the jockey (Turcotte?) turning around and hardly being able to see any other horses behind him. So a sedate, respectful "great moments" movie didn't attract me. I'm not surprised that Secretariat didn't work for you. Glad I didn't try to see it!

12 Years A Slave is being re-released to theaters for Martin Luthor King Weekend. The closest it's playing to me is about a 50 minute drive away, but I think I might make the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I kept waiting for this watershed moment that I was supposedly going to have. Basically the trailers that were shown for weeks before the movie hit theaters is all you need to know the whole story. It really was just a longer version of that... Stuff they should've spent time on they blew right through... and then the last 20+ minutes it's basically a campaigning video. Which I kinda saw coming, but still... I don't like it when it feels like a movie is FORCING you to feel something... I like it when it comes naturally like you're really experiencing it - not just being told to... if that makes sense?

My mom when she saw the Golden Globes' look at 12 Years A Slave said "so, it's a new version of Roots?" - which is kinda how I feel it will probably be... but I'd still love to see it.
    I've heard it strikes a different chord than Roots. The main character was a free man and then kidnapped in the US into slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I've heard it strikes a different chord than Roots. The main character was a free man and then kidnapped in the US into slavery.
    yeah, that's what I told her... lol I think she was thinking more about the emotion and violence...

Slightly OT perhaps - but a movie I'm really looking forward to is Belle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94LgIVL-UlQ

This seems to be more "my kind of thing".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    yeah, that's what I told her... lol I think she was thinking more about the emotion and violence...
    They're showing The Help this evening on one of the cable networks. It deals with some of the same era as The Butler, and I find it tremendously effective. Though I am glad that Octavia Spencer got an Oscar, I really wish Viola Davis had received one too. Her face tells a story without any words needed. I hope that the personal element is as strong in The Butler as it is in so many of the scenes of The Help.

IMO it's not. The Help is a fantastic film and deserved the nods it got. The Butler was not half as moving, IMO.

I saw "The Butler." Had not read Toni's feelings. I found it very moving, very hard to swallow. Maybe because I was young but alive when Kennedy, MLK were shot, and have seen the minority community lose ground.

I love horse movies, so no complaints here. I don't need dark movies. "The Help" was good. I haven't seen any "golden globe" movies except "Liberace." from the Redbox. Worth skipping unless you are a big fan of Douglas or Damon.

Youth does not play a factor in my feeling on the film. Perhaps my going through film courses in college does? It was disjointed and poorly written IMO. And I stand by my statement that they were too busy with the cameos to really get into the heart of the actual story. Whittaker and Winfrey are better actors than what happened in this movie.

I may not have lived through the 60s, but that doesn't automatically mean I don't understand what was going on during that time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast