Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Movies you've seen?

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    that's the one with Morgan Freeman, right? Didn't realize it was out on DVD.
    Yes Toni, Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas, Robert De Niro, Kevin Kline. It was good and light hearted. I rented from Red Box.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Hey Dee, yeah Kate B winning the Oscar gets no argument from me.
    In one of the scenes Kate B has this kind of shake and only someone who researched an attic (alcohol or drugs) would know what shake I'm talking about. I had a beautiful friend that was an alcoholic and had been on a 3 week drunk. She asked me to help her get sober, she asked me to take her to AA, so I did. I saw the shake (worse than Kate B) so bad I had to feed her because she couldn't feed herself. After that incident, she remained sober for 20 years before she died....she was such a beautiful woman and so strong but...demons. She had been and still is an inspiration to me.

Custom Title
    She sounds like an amazing woman, Dee. I'm glad she had those twenty years, and such a staunch friend as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Yes Toni, Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas, Robert De Niro, Kevin Kline. It was good and light hearted. I rented from Red Box.
    I'll have to rent it! I wanted to see it in theaters but never got around to it.

Custom Title
    About movies, what can I say I love Der Untergang (The Downfall) and Das boot. I am not German but I found these two movies simple masterpieces. Das Boot has an English version, but it is much better to watch it in its original German. Both happen during WWII, but are quite different. In the same theme, yes, The pianist is also amazing.
    Showshank redemption is also a classic, but what a beauty. I haven't watched any of the very new movies. In a way I'd like to see 12 years a slave, but I don't know, I somehow don't dare. I'd like to see a good cartoon. The last one I saw in a theatre a few years ago, was Raining with meatballs. I liked it...

Custom Title
    I love The Shawshank Redemption too. There are so many little elements that are to be savored. One of my favorite sequences is when Tim Robbins' character plays the Mozart opera duet over the loudspeaker, and Morgan Freeman as the narrator says that to this day he had no idea what those two ladies were singing about in Italian, but that it was probably something that couldn't be expressed in words, and for a moment every man in the prison felt free. It's not a fast-paced movie; it took its time to tell the story and reveal its most important themes (including the paradox that the warden was the worst criminal of all, the concept of individual freedom, the difficulties of finding true justice when there was no one to speak for you). I never read the King story on which it is based, so I don't know how faithful it is to the written work, but on its own merits it's thought-provoking and rewarding. All the actors do a splendid job, especially Robbins and Freeman. Definitely a movie to watch again and again.

Gravity is very gripping if unrealistic, but worth watching.

I watched "The skin I live in" and it's very interesting. I recommend it, but watch the trailer first to see if it's your kind of movie because most of my classmates (we saw it together) just couldn't watch some scenes.

@Olympia
    That was also one of my favorite parts from The Shawshank Redemption. Also the scene when he comes back after the days spent in the lock-up room and tells the other prisoners that he had his music with him. That quote with it helps you remember that there are places in the world that aren't made out of stone (don't know it exactly, but this is what I remember) is both simple and touching. I usually read Stephen King stories, but I never read this one because I thought it would ruin the effect of the movie.

The Book Thief is great but have hankies ready. Wonderful performances. I love Jeoffrey Rush.

Catching Fire & a 1952 adaptation of The Importance of Being Earnest. I enjoyed both - albeit in slightly different ways.

@skateluvr - That's so great to hear about The Book Thief! Definitely a film I'm interested in, too. A friend of mine loves the book, though I haven't read it myself (yet). And I love Geoffrey Rush too. I wonder if I've ever been so thrilled to see a dead villain come back to life as at the end of Pirates 2?

Custom Title
    I am curious about The Book Thief also. A friend told me that it's splendid.

Meanwhile, I've been able to see Philomena. What a gorgeous film. Judi Dench is wonderful, of course. I was pleased that Mare Winningham played the adopted sister. She started acting as a teenager (I think she was even in a Brat Pack movie.) She did a lot of TV movies through the years. Later she became a character actress, refreshingly unglamorous, sort of like Patty Duke. Every now and then she still pops up, and she's always convincing.

I watched , "Little Children" last week. The acting was wonderful (hence the Acadamy nominations) but I hate ambiguous endings...its hard to understand what Sarah felt at the end and what her goals were, (except to love her child) going forward.
    Saw "Where the Truth Lies" last night. I enjoyed it but I missed something in the movie about why the killer had to wait 15 years "for Sally to die" before putting forth his black mail plan...whoever Sally was. Maybe I will try and look up the plot on the web.
    I love Inspector Lewis episodes even though I am slow on the uptake as far as the complex plots go...and they speak a different Language over there.....when I finally get to England I should take a course so I can understand the locals.

I enjoyed Little Children but can't recall the ending other than Ronnie the pedophile being suicidal in the park at night.

In May, Godzilla come out which I must see!

Just rented Great Expectations with Jeremy Irvine and Helena Bonham Carter. I need to learn how to CC the movies because their British accents made it very difficult to understand what the heck they were saying. I was quickly lost.

Godzilla lived up to the hype. Go see it on the big screen.

Custom Title
    I really liked Maleficent. I wasn't impressed with Elle Fanning's acting, but she is really young at the moment so I guess I shouldn't have expected much.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast