Movies you've seen? | Golden Skate

Movies you've seen?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I saw Hunger games 2. I liked it. I wish I had books for detail. I never knew this was teen fiction. I haven't see much this year.

Suggestions? Ur response to Hunger Games 2?

heyang

Record Breaker
Just took my nieces (ages 6 and 11) to see Frozen. It was very good. The older niece thought it was better than some of the more recent Disney princess movies. I enjoyed it - and it was more about sisterly love vs romantic love.

Taking the nephew and older niece to see Catching Fire on New Year's Day. Of the 3 of us, I'm the only one who has read the series - I think my niece got part way through Hunger Games and my nephew hasn't read at all..... I took them to see the 1st movie when it was in the theaters and thought the book was so much better. A lot Hunger Games is in Katniss's head, which is hard to translate to the screen. So, I didn't love it. However, I have heard from other Hunger Games fans and movie viewers that Catching Fire is a much better movie as compared to the 1st.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just took my nieces (ages 6 and 11) to see Frozen. It was very good. The older niece thought it was better than some of the more recent Disney princess movies. I enjoyed it - and it was more about sisterly love vs romantic love.

I loved Frozen, not just because it's a Disney film (I'm actually pretty picky when it comes to their movies. I have a whole list of their films that are on my yuck list.), but because the animation was amazing and the story was a good one. Overall I prefer Tangled storywise, but Frozen is a close second. I saw it with my bestie and her 4 year old daughter. The 4 year old cannot stop talking about it and we saw it the first week it was in theaters! Definitely a must see - and it's not just for the kids.

For movies on DVD that I'm finally getting around to seeing, I watched "The Impossible" (Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor) about the 2004 Tsunami. WOW. What a great film. I get why it was nominated for the Oscar... it was an amazing film. Very emotional. I don't normally cry hard at films (War Horse is still the only one I've sobbed at for 30-45 minutes) but this is one of the few exceptions. It really is an amazing film.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Did anyone see the remake of Gatsby? My PCA gave me a code to Netflix. I took her to see Hunger 2 but she had never seen hunger one. I just wonder what movies came out during 2013 that were worth watching.

Here is my difficulty:

Movies now are mostly:

1)dark
2)scary
3) grungy realism-sad-violent
4) expensive at theatre tho with my hair not died, and medication over weight, I sadly got the senior discount (hoping it was 55) so movies are a lot, and my pcas are who I go with... If I had a little one, I'd do Disney/animation. Loved Finding nemo. I have not seen the twilight series or even Harry potter. Is there still such a category as clean adult movies?

I saw Liberace from Redbox. It was sad, and I really don't like watching sex...yes, major prude. I cannot imagine how they will do "Shades of Grey." Ugh.

So Heyang, can you give me some details about the books? Why for example Is PanEm so stainless and futuristic but clothes so retro, fussy, in the way? Who gets to live in the Capitol? And if they can make live beasts out of thin air, why does the whole country live in poverty when they can mfg what they want in the games?

Thanks if they address this. Looks like I have to read book 3, cant wait for next movie.

Any movie suggestions much appreciated. I don't care what era or genre just maybe uplifting, true stories, like Secretariat, that kind of thing. biographies of famous into movies I love those too. I want to see some old Meryl movies and Netflix did not have them. Maybe I need a list of Top 100 movies to start with.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Disney's not just for kids - it's for everyone... sad that people see it otherwise... there's so much to enjoy as an adult in these films... I think I enjoy them more now than when I was a kid.

The short before Frozen (a Mickey Mouse black and white!) was also amazing. They even used Walt's voice for Mickey (he originally voiced Mickey Mouse). It was great.

heyang

Record Breaker
So Heyang, can you give me some details about the books? Why for example Is PanEm so stainless and futuristic but clothes so retro, fussy, in the way? Who gets to live in the Capitol? And if they can make live beasts out of thin air, why does the whole country live in poverty when they can mfg what they want in the games?

Thanks if they address this. Looks like I have to read book 3, cant wait for next movie.

PanEm is the materialistic Capitol district. Appearance is what the citizens think of and the more garish the better - it proves that you have the wealth or position in life. The people in the Capitol are the ones who lived there when they 'defeated' the districts during the war. They don't care about the condition of the districts - they are subjugating them.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks Heyang. And I agree Toni, Disney movies are very witty with great music. I loved Mulan and Alladin with Robin in the lead role. But it is so much better if you have a little one to share it with you. I think you might be the biggest Disney fan I know. I guess your whole family makes "pilgrimages" to Disneyworld. I went once many years ago. I was very unwell, but loved being there, and the parade. I still have a cute pic of me and Pluto. I can't imagine how cool it must be now and fun.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my family's been twice. I go more regularly, but as a family not everyone can afford it. I've spent well over 10,000$ over the years going on Disney Vacations. There are many times I wish I had the money instead, but you have to pick and choose what your priorities are. I am one of those people that needs to get away from reality at least once a year.

It also depends on the person. I do enjoy taking my "nieces" to the Disney movies, but I get just as much enjoyment with my adult friends or by myself.

altuixde

On the Ice
I just saw Pacific Rim. It was such a disappointment, but not so bad that I wanted to turn it off before finishing it.

For the past few days I've been thinking about buying Tangled from the (USA) iTunes store because it also has a French audio track. Watching the movie with different voices makes it feel new again. Does anyone know if the French track is actually Canadian French? I've heard some of the Canadian French version and both Rapunzel and Flynn sound good.

heyang

Record Breaker
I finally saw Catching Fire on New Year's Day. Definitely well done.

If you're looking for a good movie on video, try Silver Linings Playbook.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I just saw American Hustle which was very good but definitely not for the kiddies. Very complicated plot--you really have to pay attention. I used to, let's say, not particularly like Bradley Cooper, but between this and Silver Linings Playbook, he's growing on me.

LRK

Record Breaker
For wonderful family movies (rather than strictly childrens'), I'd like to recommend this version of Black Beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quXRmgJrP4A

It's an adaptation of the book - not Black Beauty on fun adventures saving little Tmmy from the well sort of thing. I just rewatched this myself recently.

Note: Hankies may be needed. I'm not really a weeper myself when it comes to movies - but this definitely gets to me. Especially towards the end...

For wonderful family movies (rather than strictly childrens'), I'd like to recommend this version of Black Beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quXRmgJrP4A

It's an adaptation of the book - not Black Beauty on fun adventures saving little Tmmy from the well sort of thing. I just rewatched this myself recently.

Note: Hankies may be needed. I'm not really a weeper myself when it comes to movies - but this definitely gets to me. Especially towards the end...

Black Beauty is such a sad story, though supposedly intended for young readers. It was written specifically to call attention to the mistreatment of horses, which of course were much more widely used at that time before automobiles. I made it through just once and then could not go near it again because it was so downbeat--with good reason, I hasten to say.

LRK

Record Breaker
Black Beauty is such a sad story, though supposedly intended for young readers. It was written specifically to call attention to the mistreatment of horses, which of course were much more widely used at that time before automobiles. I made it through just once and then could not go near it again because it was so downbeat--with good reason, I hasten to say.

I actually re-read it... I was going to say this year, but obviously it is now "last year" (that will take some getting used to)... and I did not find it so at all. It was sad, of course, in parts, but not depressing. But my most lingering feeling was a sense of... kindness.

Johar

Medalist
Did anyone see the remake of Gatsby? My PCA gave me a code to Netflix. I took her to see Hunger 2 but she had never seen hunger one. I just wonder what movies came out during 2013 that were worth watching.

Here is my difficulty:

Movies now are mostly:

1)dark
2)scary
3) grungy realism-sad-violent
4) expensive at theatre tho with my hair not died, and medication over weight, I sadly got the senior discount (hoping it was 55) so movies are a lot, and my pcas are who I go with... If I had a little one, I'd do Disney/animation. Loved Finding nemo. I have not seen the twilight series or even Harry potter. Is there still such a category as clean adult movies?

I saw Liberace from Redbox. It was sad, and I really don't like watching sex...yes, major prude. I cannot imagine how they will do "Shades of Grey." Ugh.

Any movie suggestions much appreciated. I don't care what era or genre just maybe uplifting, true stories, like Secretariat, that kind of thing. biographies of famous into movies I love those too. I want to see some old Meryl movies and Netflix did not have them. Maybe I need a list of Top 100 movies to start with.

The Hunger Games takes place 300-500 years from now, so they have the ability to create mutations (like Craker Jackers and Jabber Jays). They are not made out of thin air.

The other districts dress retro because they are very poor and starving. Catastophic events (nationwide fires, rising sea levels, etc) occurred in the past which left them without cell phones, satellites, etc. Katniss lives in what was once Appalachia.

Secretariat was poorly done! I am a big horse racing fan--Penny Chenery was not there when Secretariat was born, nor was Lucien Laurin. There was no battle between Secretariat's connections and those of Sham's --Pancho Martin. I was watching it and shaking my head.

Secretariat won the Belmont by 31 lenths but the film failed to capture the excitement and glory.

Johar

Medalist
The Conjuring--very scary and based on a true story. The real Annabelle the doll was not the creepy one depicted in the film but a Reggedy Ann doll.

onapthanh

Match Penalty
I think that I loved Mulan and Alladin with Robin in the lead role. But it is so much better if you have a little one to share it with you. I think you might be the biggest Disney fan I know. I guess your whole family makes "pilgrimages" to Disneyworld. I went once many years ago It was sad, of course, in parts, but not depressing. But my most lingering feeling

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Finally saw The Butler. I'm not in love with it like people were when it was in theaters. It has a GREAT cast (except for Fonda, but I digress). But they seemed to focus more on the cameos. The history of it was great but took a back seat to stuff that just... yeah...

My friend whom I watched with agreed. We weren't impressed. I get why it got "snubbed" by the awards shows. I'd like to see 12 Years A Slave, just to judge the two.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'd like to see 12 Years a Slave - but am rather afraid to! I hear it's a bit.. rough. Maybe I'll settle for reading the book some day. :)

Interesting to hear your thoughts on The Butler, Tonichelle - they go towards affirming my lukewarm impressions of it. I might watch it some day - but maybe not. At any rate, I don't feel as if it's exactly top of my list...