Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Movies you've seen?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Youth does not play a factor in my feeling on the film. Perhaps my going through film courses in college does? It was disjointed and poorly written IMO. And I stand by my statement that they were too busy with the cameos to really get into the heart of the actual story. Whittaker and Winfrey are better actors than what happened in this movie.

I may not have lived through the 60s, but that doesn't automatically mean I don't understand what was going on during that time.
    Agreed, Toni. The great thing about history is that we can all get on the time machine if we make the effort. No one has an automatic aristocracy by virtue of having been there. There were a lot of people alive during the years of the civil rights movement who slept through it. I lived through a certain amount of it as a child, but my understanding of it came from study later on. That's when I really encountered people such as John Lewis, James Farmer, and Diane Nash.

I will edit this to add that people who took action at a particular time do get to speak up and bear witness, of course, and their words carry a special weight.

I suspect that The Butler has a certain amount of "great moments" to its storytelling, which might blunt its effect, but I'd have to see it for myself to verify that. No matter how sincere a filmmaker is, it's very hard to make an effective film about a large event or the entire life of a significant person. A movie such as Gandhi probably comes closest. One reason Clint Eastwood's Mandela film, Invictus, is so powerful is that it takes one incident and gives us the texture and humanity of it, and from that incident we can extrapolate the larger picture. The whole idea of how reviled the Springboks were indicates how audacious Mandela was to make the team a symbol of all of South Africa. Remember how entire teams of African athletes boycotted the Montreal Olympics just because New Zealand had played the Springboks? This aspect of Afrikaans culture was an inspired way to approach a portrait of Mandela. But many filmmakers want to take on the whole ball of wax, and they certainly have the right to try. After all, one of them might get it exactly right.

I felt for the main character, but he really did not seem to come off as a likeable person. He neglected the needs of his family (other than financially) and the movie seemed to suggest he went about Civil Rights all wrong (by not causing waves). There was one line in the movie that suggested otherwise, but then towards the end they again argued that activists were the only way to get things done.

If they were going for making him be in the background then they definitely got that right, but it was hard *for me* to feel for him. I wanted to, but there wasn't much there.

Winfrey's Character, too, was so completely disjointed (which if that was the point on how to show her character then, fine, it's spot on, but it's not good for active storytelling). Her storyline was not complete at all.

John Cusak as Nixon was probably the best of the cameos... James Marsden had the voice of JFK down, but he doesn't look anything like him (which did not bother my friend lol)

I don't know. I'd like to see 12 Years A Slave to see if my thoughts are correct as to why The Butler didn't get more in the award nominations. My guess is that with similar subject matter one was done far better than the other and therefore got the love.

12 Years was in our theater for about a week, then gone. My friends and i never got around to seeing it. Captain Phil was also here, then gone, and now back again. Huh?

BTW, I have a white FB friend who feels it is racism anytime a film starring black people loses or isn't nominated. Just about everyday she posts examples of 'white people, especially men. bad!' She and her friends could find racism in a blade of grass.

With them getting Oscars they'll all end up coming back for short second runs.

Custom Title
    Oz the Great and Powerful

I enjoyed it - it was fun.

skating philosopher
    I saw the movie "Her" last night.

http://www.herthemovie.com/#/home

Basically, the movie takes place in a slightly futuristic Los Angeles and chronicles how a man falls in love with a new advanced operating system (think Siri on a more advanced level).

The concept may sound a bit hokey, but Spike Jonze, the director and screenwriter, wrote a really tight and compelling story. Scarlett Johanson does a nice job playing the voice of Samantha, the operating system and Joaquin Phoenix does great acting as the protagonist.

This is an interesting article on creating the look of the movie: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2oLgVC4VO

Anyway I would recommend it...such great storytelling.

I'm definitely interested in seeing it, Mrs. P... whether or not I end up getting to see all of these nominated films before next award season, though is another story.

I *have* seen the majority of the animated films nominated. Frozen is above and beyond the others. The competition isn't even close (and I enjoyed The Croods and Despicable Me 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Agreed, Toni. The great thing about history is that we can all get on the time machine if we make the effort. No one has an automatic aristocracy by virtue of having been there. There were a lot of people alive during the years of the civil rights movement who slept through it. I lived through a certain amount of it as a child, but my understanding of it came from study later on. That's when I really encountered people such as John Lewis, James Farmer, and Diane Nash.

I will edit this to add that people who took action at a particular time do get to speak up and bear witness, of course, and their words carry a special weight.

I suspect that The Butler has a certain amount of "great moments" to its storytelling, which might blunt its effect, but I'd have to see it for myself to verify that. No matter how sincere a filmmaker is, it's very hard to make an effective film about a large event or the entire life of a significant person. A movie such as Gandhi probably comes closest. One reason Clint Eastwood's Mandela film, Invictus, is so powerful is that it takes one incident and gives us the texture and humanity of it, and from that incident we can extrapolate the larger picture. The whole idea of how reviled the Springboks were indicates how audacious Mandela was to make the team a symbol of all of South Africa. Remember how entire teams of African athletes boycotted the Montreal Olympics just because New Zealand had played the Springboks? This aspect of Afrikaans culture was an inspired way to approach a portrait of Mandela. But many filmmakers want to take on the whole ball of wax, and they certainly have the right to try. After all, one of them might get it exactly right.
    Toni, I am feeling belearapherguered, however one spells it. You consistently misunderstand me, whenever I post to you, or address you. I'm happy you took film courses and are a photog. I simply said I liked it. Had I see your review, I might have decided not to rent it. I can see the issues you have-dead on right. Let me say that finding a picture that is not about zombies, the dead, scary paranormal.laden with gratuitous sex, or darkly depressing is hard. I have seen NONE OF THE NOMINATED MOVIES AND LIKELY WON'T FOR A WHILE. I (sorry cap key-too tired to care). I have seen Hunger Games 2 and this Butler movie. I feel the pain of the outcast profoundly, plus I saw what these assasinations did to family, culture, even as a child. There is NO SUBSTITUTE for direct experience, and some very sensitive children are deeply imprinted with the Kennedy Assasination. The day Bobby was shot-the Kennedy grief, the sadness of MLK's children and the brave face of Mrs King.

Surely Olympia, you cannot say you know how it felt to watch soldiers drag back from the civil war? Sometimes it seems like responses are about popularity, not the discussion. I know I am a liberal progressive Toni, and don't understand Sarah Palin's Alaska, but maybe you can stop misunderstanding me on purpose? Whatever I say, you manage to find the worst spin on it. I'm sorry, I am too tired to explain anymore.

I do not hate YuNa Kim.
    I do not think your youth is a bad thing.
    Cheers all. going to bed.

Making Dad watch "Steel Magnolias" right now... he's a big "chick flick" fan anyway. Love this movie... I love when movies are "classics" and transcend time. Costumes and pop culture references may be outdated, but it doesn't matter what generation - it is just as applicable today as it was when it was released.

skating philosopher
    Making Dad watch "Steel Magnolias" right now... he's a big "chick flick" fan anyway. Love this movie... I love when movies are "classics" and transcend time. Costumes and pop culture references may be outdated, but it doesn't matter what generation - it is just as applicable today as it was when it was released.
    I feel that way about a lot of movies....especially ones from the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I feel that way about a lot of movies....especially ones from the 1980s.
    It really depends on the movie when it comes to 80s flicks... but some are timeless...

Custom Title
    They recently showed this on TV, and it reminded me of how wonderful all the performers are. Each of them stands out in some way, including the wonderfully natural Dolly Parton and the intense Sally Field. You can easily see why Julia Roberts became such a star after this film. It may be a chick flick, but it's an uncommonly elevated one.

I want to know how Sally Field was able to be so raw in the graveyard scene... the most believeable cry EVER.

Custom Title
    I want to know how Sally Field was able to be so raw in the graveyard scene... the most believeable cry EVER.
    I know that people kind of laughed at Field for awhile, because of her Oscar speech (I never understood why), but I've always found her an amazingly complete actress. Considering that for most of her adult life, she looked like an undersized high school kid, she has still been extraordinarily convincing in all sorts of roles, from comedy to drama and mixtures thereof. In fact, even if you catch a rerun of Gidget or The Flying Nun, you see that she had that "aliveness" (for want of a better word) even then.

One of my favorite of her lighter roles is Murphy's Romance, with James Garner. It's one of my feelgood movies that I keep at the ready in the DVD stack. It helps that I also love Garner.

I've been sick all of January, minus the past 5 days, so my friends did movies without me. I would like to see August: Osage County but as of now it is not coming here.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast