Movies you've seen? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Movies you've seen?

Making Dad watch "Steel Magnolias" right now... he's a big "chick flick" fan anyway. Love this movie... I love when movies are "classics" and transcend time. Costumes and pop culture references may be outdated, but it doesn't matter what generation - it is just as applicable today as it was when it was released.

They recently showed this on TV, and it reminded me of how wonderful all the performers are. Each of them stands out in some way, including the wonderfully natural Dolly Parton and the intense Sally Field. You can easily see why Julia Roberts became such a star after this film. It may be a chick flick, but it's an uncommonly elevated one.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I want to know how Sally Field was able to be so raw in the graveyard scene... the most believeable cry EVER.

I want to know how Sally Field was able to be so raw in the graveyard scene... the most believeable cry EVER.

I know that people kind of laughed at Field for awhile, because of her Oscar speech (I never understood why), but I've always found her an amazingly complete actress. Considering that for most of her adult life, she looked like an undersized high school kid, she has still been extraordinarily convincing in all sorts of roles, from comedy to drama and mixtures thereof. In fact, even if you catch a rerun of Gidget or The Flying Nun, you see that she had that "aliveness" (for want of a better word) even then.

One of my favorite of her lighter roles is Murphy's Romance, with James Garner. It's one of my feelgood movies that I keep at the ready in the DVD stack. It helps that I also love Garner.

Johar

Medalist
I've been sick all of January, minus the past 5 days, so my friends did movies without me. I would like to see August: Osage County but as of now it is not coming here.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't think many movies last year sound Oscar worthy. !2 years a slave? Sounds ok. How about Osage County? Nebraska? Captain Phillips? What if any are worth 26.00 for two at theatre.

I have Netflix now and am amazed at how many movies are not there - at least for streaming. I am in a cold snap like most of you, and movies are a solace-if good. I really miss blockbuster.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Hi movie watchers. I have had a flu and my PCAs didn't get paid. I have a new one who is mad at me, even tho the state payroll people/office lost the faxed timesheets. It happens. I sent Asus puter to Hawaii. Bro got it working- came back with no sound. New Ipad (bought with credit from Puter they could not fix at best buy is having flukey on off problems. Huge financial issues. I ask all your prayers as the more I pray and share my knowledge, the worse problems come my way. Especially during Lent. So I have seen a couple movies. I think 'American Hustle' was a good movie but not great (10 academy nominations.) I saw Silver Linings Playbok but was not paying attention. Maybe I can find it on Netflix.

Heyang, I did read Mockingjay, and thought each book got weaker, more predictable. I heard Philip Seymour Hoffman finished the movie before his sad death. Since Plutarch has a much bigger role, I was glad we will see him again. I really loved him as an actor and felt sorry he lost his addiction battle. He seems like someone who'd be a nice and very intelligent conversationalist if one ever met him.

My friend sent me 12 years a slave to watch on the computer. The preview looks very good. I just hope the beatings don't get to me.

I want to see 'The Booktheif' -has anyone rented that one? I also want to see the Jesus movie-not sure of title-still in theatres I believe.

I think 'Captain Philips' was excellent, yet sad as it was true. I read the Somali pirate character-forgot his name in film-it was a while ago I saw it-was only paid 65,000 for that role. Given his looks, I don't see him getting rich in the movies-I felt sad for somalians who had Ak rifles but no shoes-and was kind of aggravated that his performance-every bit as good as hanks who likely got 18 million WAS SO UNDERPAID. He gave a great performance. It is a very stressful movie to watch, very tense, but the leads were very believable in the tragic, true story.

I'd still like to see 'Wolf of Wallstreet' but it hasn't been on my cable or Redbox. I think it is not still in theatres. I didn't see Academy awards-just know 12 Years a slave won best film. Are there any true stories that are uplifting? We have new heroes from Sochi Paralympcs. I have the feeling that the one movie about a Paralympic hero will be "The Oscar Pistorious Movie." I wonder if he can sell his story from prison-I'm guessing-in South Africa to pay the legal bills. It would be nice to see a happier ending movie about one of the many Paralympic heroes from the Sochi games.

Any new movie reviews? 'Dallas Buyers Club' is a really gritty movie-I think based on true events. Anyone seen it? Matthew M. I think won for best actor.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've been sick all of January, minus the past 5 days, so my friends did movies without me. I would like to see August: Osage County but as of now it is not coming here.

I just saw August: Osage County and it just doesn't work as well as a movie as it does as a play. And it's the first time in a long while I didn't like Meryl Streep's performance. I found it very "actory"--one of those performances where you can smell the "technique" coming off the screen. Julia Roberts was better than I thought she would be (she's such a Star and not a great actress). But really, it works better as a play for me--more claustrophobic, more harrowing, more a real contemporary update of Long Day's Journey Into Night. Then again, I saw the Steppenwolf production of it on Broadway, and Steppenwolf is probably the best all-around theater company in the country. Definitely wait for the movie to show up on cable, but if Steppenwolf ever revives it, hock the kiddies and get tickets/ ;)

Also saw Philomena, which was absolutely heartbreaking. My Mom is from that part of Ireland, and we're both huge huge huge Judy Dench fans. She is absolutely fantastic in it,, and would have won the Oscar except that...

...Cate Blanchett really did deserve the Oscar for Blue Jasmine. Now Woody Allen has blown very hot to very cold since the mid 1990s for me. This is one of the hot ones. Yes, it's essentially a rewrite of A Streetcar Named Desire, but Cate really is great and the rewrite works. Definitely catch it on cable when it comes around.

Of the ones you mention, Ankles, I most want to see Philomena. It sounds like an amazing film, and like you I admire Judi Dench.

Though I'm not generally a Woody Allen fan, I find it fascinating how many women have won Oscars for their performances in his movies. (And no men have, if I'm not mistaken.)

I finally saw Saving Mr. Banks and enjoyed it very much. It has a lot of interesting details about the creative process, something I enjoy seeing depicted in films. Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson are excellent, both singly and playing off each other, and Giamatti nails down a small but significant role to perfection.

Okay, I'm a case of arrested development: I really want to see Frozen.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

you won't be disappointed. still waiting on Amazon to send me my copy. they really screwed up that order for me and my friend... we're not happy about it.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Of the ones you mention, Ankles, I most want to see Philomena. It sounds like an amazing film, and like you I admire Judi Dench.

Though I'm not generally a Woody Allen fan, I find it fascinating how many women have won Oscars for their performances in his movies. (And no men have, if I'm not mistaken.)

I finally saw Saving Mr. Banks and enjoyed it very much. It has a lot of interesting details about the creative process, something I enjoy seeing depicted in films. Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson are excellent, both singly and playing off each other, and Giamatti nails down a small but significant role to perfection.

Michael Caine won Supporting Actor in 1987 for Hannah and Her Sisters.

I liked Frozen. I'm usually not a big fan of Disney--I much prefer Bugs Bunny and the Warner Bros cartoons--but Frozen was less 'sweet' than Disney can be for me. It's definitely worth seeing.

You know, I didn't particularly love Saving Mr Banks, but I thought both Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson were very good, and I would have given Thompson the Best Actress nom over Meryl Streep. YMMV, of course, but Emma in imperious bee-yotch mode is VERY entertaining.

Olympia, have you ever seen Notes on a Scandal? Judy Dench AND Cate Blanchett at their absolute best. Judy is positively CHILLING. Highly highly recommended.

Of course, Michael Caine! Whoops. Thanks for the correction. And I love Michael Caine.

I haven't seen Notes on a Scandal. It seems to be a great time for actresses over twenty, thank goodness.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
In earlier years I loved Woody Allen movies. Blue Jamine was depressing. There is humor in it, but, not seeing someone lose their mind. Cate is a great actress. I loved her in "The Talented Mr. Ripley." and as a young so beautiful Queen Elizabeth who ages amazingly. SHe and Winslet and Nelligan and Emma Thompson are among my faves of the great British actresses. There are many.

I did not know Judy Dench died...was that the implication? She had an incredible career. So sorry for her many fans.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I must have undiagnosed ADD because I really have a hard time sitting still long enough to watch a movie. I usually pick up my cello or guitar and start writing music within a few minutes. There are a few movies I watch from my collection time to time and gain musical inspiration or use them to just reset my imagination.

#1. O' Brother Where Art Thou(favorite movie ever)
#2. Donnie Darko
#3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(I read all the books)

For fun(movies I stole from my parents..shh)
#1 The Money Pit
#2 Short Circuit
#3 The Never Ending Story

I get all girly sometimes and really enjoy the "Love Comes"series whenever the Hallmark Channel shows them. If you like love stories and human triumph they are awesome and honestly make me appreciate much simpler things.

heyang

Record Breaker
you won't be disappointed. still waiting on Amazon to send me my copy. they really screwed up that order for me and my friend... we're not happy about it.

I agree... I enjoyed Frozen more than Brave. I took my 11 yr old niece and my 6 yr old niece and they both enjoyed it. Older niece said it was better than some of the more recent Disney movies, too.

I bought the movie for myself and for my nieces at Target.

I think my 13 yr old nephew was sort of interested in going, but he was worried about his 'image'.

Frankly I don't find it to be arrested development to enjoy 'family' movies. I'll be 50 soon and plan to continue going to see Disney movies, even when the kids don't want to go. When I was in my mid-20's I met my cousin for dinner and Beauty and the Beast after work. None of my friends wanted to go and all of her friends had gone without her (her group in their early 20's)..... It was a great movie to see in a theater.

heyang

Record Breaker
Heyang, I did read Mockingjay, and thought each book got weaker, more predictable. I heard Philip Seymour Hoffman finished the movie before his sad death. Since Plutarch has a much bigger role, I was glad we will see him again. I really loved him as an actor and felt sorry he lost his addiction battle. He seems like someone who'd be a nice and very intelligent conversationalist if one ever met him.

So far, I'm enjoying the movies in the reverse order of how I enjoyed the books. A lot of people preferred reading Catching Fire over reading Hunger Games, but I didn't enjoy CF as much as HG in book form. However, the movies are the opposite - I just thought HG movie was ok, but enjoyed CF a lot more. My co-worker's teen neighbor is a huge HG fan and she had same opinion of movies as I do.

Now, I'm trying to decide if I want to see Divergent. I read the series and could see how it could make a good series of movies. Also, Shailene Woodley is a quality actress, as well. However, I didn't enjoy the book series as much - perhaps I'm just getting tired of Dystopian teen fiction.

I remember seeing Beauty and the Beast live in the theater. What an experience. When the movie finished, the audience spontaneously stood up and applauded. Not only was it not a live performance, there weren't even live actors, but somehow applause seemed the right reaction. What a beautiful film that was, with emotions that were completely three-dimensional and human despite the fact that the "actors" were celluloid. That and Pocahontas are my favorites so far of the animated films. With Pocahontas it's primarily the music that moves me, whereas with Beauty it's everything together. I'm anticipating Frozen with excitement.

I enjoy fantasy literature but also have a limited tolerance for dystopian teen fiction. As I understand it, the reviews still put the Hunger Games films ahead in terms of quality, though they praise Woodley.