Movies you've seen? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Movies you've seen?

I love The Shawshank Redemption too. There are so many little elements that are to be savored. One of my favorite sequences is when Tim Robbins' character plays the Mozart opera duet over the loudspeaker, and Morgan Freeman as the narrator says that to this day he had no idea what those two ladies were singing about in Italian, but that it was probably something that couldn't be expressed in words, and for a moment every man in the prison felt free. It's not a fast-paced movie; it took its time to tell the story and reveal its most important themes (including the paradox that the warden was the worst criminal of all, the concept of individual freedom, the difficulties of finding true justice when there was no one to speak for you). I never read the King story on which it is based, so I don't know how faithful it is to the written work, but on its own merits it's thought-provoking and rewarding. All the actors do a splendid job, especially Robbins and Freeman. Definitely a movie to watch again and again.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I watched "The skin I live in" and it's very interesting. I recommend it, but watch the trailer first to see if it's your kind of movie because most of my classmates (we saw it together) just couldn't watch some scenes.

@Olympia
That was also one of my favorite parts from The Shawshank Redemption. Also the scene when he comes back after the days spent in the lock-up room and tells the other prisoners that he had his music with him. That quote with it helps you remember that there are places in the world that aren't made out of stone (don't know it exactly, but this is what I remember) is both simple and touching. I usually read Stephen King stories, but I never read this one because I thought it would ruin the effect of the movie.:laugh:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
The Book Thief is great but have hankies ready. Wonderful performances. I love Jeoffrey Rush.

LRK

Record Breaker
Catching Fire & a 1952 adaptation of The Importance of Being Earnest. I enjoyed both - albeit in slightly different ways. ;)

@skateluvr - That's so great to hear about The Book Thief! Definitely a film I'm interested in, too. A friend of mine loves the book, though I haven't read it myself (yet). And I love Geoffrey Rush too. :) I wonder if I've ever been so thrilled to see a dead villain come back to life as at the end of Pirates 2? ;)

I am curious about The Book Thief also. A friend told me that it's splendid.

Meanwhile, I've been able to see Philomena. What a gorgeous film. Judi Dench is wonderful, of course. I was pleased that Mare Winningham played the adopted sister. She started acting as a teenager (I think she was even in a Brat Pack movie.) She did a lot of TV movies through the years. Later she became a character actress, refreshingly unglamorous, sort of like Patty Duke. Every now and then she still pops up, and she's always convincing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I watched , "Little Children" last week. The acting was wonderful (hence the Acadamy nominations) but I hate ambiguous endings...its hard to understand what Sarah felt at the end and what her goals were, (except to love her child) going forward.
Saw "Where the Truth Lies" last night. I enjoyed it but I missed something in the movie about why the killer had to wait 15 years "for Sally to die" before putting forth his black mail plan...whoever Sally was. Maybe I will try and look up the plot on the web.
I love Inspector Lewis episodes even though I am slow on the uptake as far as the complex plots go...and they speak a different Language over there.....when I finally get to England I should take a course so I can understand the locals.

Johar

Medalist
I enjoyed Little Children but can't recall the ending other than Ronnie the pedophile being suicidal in the park at night.

In May, Godzilla come out which I must see! :cool:

Just rented Great Expectations with Jeremy Irvine :love: and Helena Bonham Carter. I need to learn how to CC the movies because their British accents made it very difficult to understand what the heck they were saying. I was quickly lost.

I really liked Maleficent. I wasn't impressed with Elle Fanning's acting, but she is really young at the moment so I guess I shouldn't have expected much.

I think I'll enjoy Maleficent also. I know what you mean about giving Elle Fanning a bit of a break because of her age and inexperience, but I guess she suffers by comparison with her sister Dakota, who was a splendid actress already when she was six or seven years old. One sort of expects talent like that to be a family trait, but maybe Dakota was just a prodigy. Even in still photographs of the two of them, your eyes go directly to Dakota, because her expressiveness is so compelling.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hated Maleficent. Everything that made her awesome they took away from her. SO incredibly disappointing, because really Angelina Jolie has the PERFECT face for her.

heyang

Record Breaker
So far, there hasn't been anything I've wanted to watch in the theaters this summer, except for some limited release movies - i.e Snow Piercer and Boyhood..

Due to the internatonal business travel I've been taking lately, I certainly end up catching up with some past releases. I checked United's movies list for my upcoming trip and see that Divergent is available for viewing on the plane.... So, that's one move that will be on my screen during the 30 hours round trip air travel!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We rent most of our movies on Netflix (although we are actually within walking distance of a multiplex). Most recent movies we've watched - Philomena, Gravity, Monuments Men, Last Vegas. Captain Phililips, Saving Mr. Banks, Nebraska. The Book Thief is on our queue.

I really want to see the movie version of Jersey Boys.

Johar

Medalist
Godzilla was everything I wanted--monsters, mass destruction, a giant wave and more.

Wanting to see The Fault In Our Stars but no luck getting to the theater. Maybe this week. Two friends have already told me they refuse to see it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Two flicks that are in limited release that I'm interested in seeing:

Road to Paloma (though it's R rated for stuff I don't normally enjoy watching so I'm not sure if I'm going to watch it or not lol)

The Salvation (it hasn't gotten a US release date yet, it's a foreign film)

Both have an actor in it that I've fallen in love with in the last few months ha ha so yeah...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
any movie suggestios from Netflix? it seems there is dearth of good movies. I think it may be a waste as It should have the most. Time is scarce so...what do they have you suggest?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have just come back from the cinema. I purchased a ticket for a horror movie, only to realize latter that I was the only one who entered the cinema by that particular time and place.
:unsure: it's fortunate the movie turned out to be not scary at all. It's a movie called VIY.

Well, 5.7 points on imdb, no wonder. :rolleye:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
any movie suggestios from Netflix? it seems there is dearth of good movies. I think it may be a waste as It should have the most. Time is scarce so...what do they have you suggest?

My latest Netflix binge was Grand Hotel, a Spanish TV Series. Here's some info from IMBD:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2006421/?ref_=rvi_tt

If you like Downton Abbey I can almost guarantee you'll like GH, too. It has the same type of beautiful sets/costumes and the attention to detail in the costumes is phenomenal -- I was just about salivating over the fabrics :laugh:. And the 2 leads are to-die-for gorgeous! There are enough plot twists to make you crosseyed but that didn't bother me after a while. I started losing sleep b/c I couldn't stop watching. For me, it was totally addictive.

The only issue is that not all the episodes are available on Netflix yet. The last one (42) is a crazy OTT cliffhanger and all the recent reviews are screaming for the resolution. If you speak Spanish, some people have said that the rest of the series is on YouTube but w/o subtitles. That leaves me out of luck but I'm so addicted that I'm considering re-watching from the beginning to cope w/ my withdrawal. :biggrin:

If you decide to watch, please post back about whether you like it or not, OK?

Barb

Record Breaker
The fault in our stars: :sarcasm:
Deliver us from evil : entertaining
If I decide to stay : :unsure: boring, nothing new
The physcian : good
Just friends : predictable
Into the storm : entertaining and silly