Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Shizuka Arakawa got married

  1. #16
    I'm out. aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,251
    From Shizuka's twitter:

    昨日の出来事〜写真撮るの巻。地毛で和装できました…(*^^*) pic.twitter.com/CakmspiveQ


    I can't read Japanese and I'm not going to assume that this was for her marriage festivities, but she is absolutely stunning nonetheless!

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Is that Arakawa's wedding dress? If so, Eastern Asian wedding dresses are so much better than their Western counterparts. They're so colorful and bright. I don't know why our brides insist on wearing white tubes -- oops I mean strapless dresses -- for their wedding day.

  3. #18
    Medalist
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    80
    I hope she is happy; her fans must be so happy.

  4. #19
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    From Shizuka's twitter:

    昨日の出来事〜写真撮るの巻。地毛で和装できました…(*^^*) pic.twitter.com/CakmspiveQ


    I can't read Japanese and I'm not going to assume that this was for her marriage festivities, but she is absolutely stunning nonetheless!
    It's said that "Yesterday's incident - I took a picture. I wore kimono and it's my hair, not a wig..."
    Then there is a conversation with Akiko saying it looked like Anmitsu-hime, one of the comics characters in the past (?), and Akiko said she remembered it.
    The title is "Showing off her wedding costume". In Japanese wedding today they wear kimono in the beginning and later on they wear white dress.

    In other article it's said that groom's occupation is surgeon.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,011
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    From Shizuka's twitter:

    昨日の出来事〜写真撮るの巻。地毛で和装できました…(*^^*) pic.twitter.com/CakmspiveQ


    I can't read Japanese and I'm not going to assume that this was for her marriage festivities, but she is absolutely stunning nonetheless!
    She looks gorgeous!

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    She is too thin, but arguably one of the great Japanese perseverance brings success stories. To think she was 16 and at Nagano, and I never noticed her if they even showed her on American TV. And I think the most beautiful Japanese skater, so I wonder what will her dress be like? Traditional? I love Josh! Wow, she has had some great times as a famous woman. I always wondered, did she date Morozov? many of his skaters seemed to. Shaelynn married him, Miki apparently escaped.

    beautiful bride, Yugao really is my favorite skate from her as a pro.
    Her dress might be like this one she modeled a few years ago

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwvY36ur6F8

  7. #22
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    465
    Big congratulation to Shizuka, hope she will be happy

  8. #23
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,683
    Lucky guy, her husband!

  9. #24
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,525
    I wonder if Shizuka models? For her race, she is quite tall. I wonder if she is as loved as mao in Japan? I watched her LP in Torino...clean but so cautious. What a "cool beauty" she is. She makes me hope Akiko could win gold.

  10. #25
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I wonder if Shizuka models? For her race, she is quite tall. I wonder if she is as loved as mao in Japan? I watched her LP in Torino...clean but so cautious. What a "cool beauty" she is. She makes me hope Akiko could win gold.
    I love Shizuka and was so thrilled when she won the gold in Torino, but I didn't particularly care for her skate there.

    Her 2004 Worlds FS was her ultimate performance and to me it is still one of the greatest ladies FS of all times.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V79ecGyvRfo


    Wishing her a happy married life!

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,011
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I wonder if she is as loved as mao in Japan? I watched her LP in Torino...clean but so cautious. What a "cool beauty" she is. She makes me hope Akiko could win gold.
    I've often wondered how Shizuka is perceived and treated in Japan. Is she as revered as Midori or Mao? Is she a huge celebrity? She certainly deserves to be.

  12. #27
    🌸🐱❄🐱❄🐱🌸 jennyanydots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    190
    I recall that the prime minister personally called to congratulate her. She was the only Japanese athlete to win any medal at Turin, nevermind being the first Japanese Olympic figure skating champion. So she was pretty much a national hero. I remember reading than her celebrity status was so crazy that she couldn't even go home for sometime afterwards. Turandot became wildly popular and people were even copying her earrings. I'm also interested in how her status compares to Mao nowadays.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,011
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    I recall that the prime minister personally called to congratulate her. She was the only Japanese athlete to win any medal at Turin, nevermind being the first Japanese Olympic figure skating champion. So she was pretty much a national hero. I remember reading than her celebrity status was so crazy that she couldn't even go home for sometime afterwards. Turandot became wildly popular and people were even copying her earrings. I'm also interested in how her status compares to Mao nowadays.
    Thanks! I had forgotten that she was the only Japanese medal winner at Turin. It must have been pandemonium for her back then! I am just old enough to remember the fuss about Peggy Fleming, who (if I recall) was the only gold medal winner for the U.S. at Grenoble. Everyone her knew who she was after that, even if they couldn't tell ice skating apart from roller skating.

  14. #29
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,542
    Congrats to Shizuka & her husband!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •