Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Entries 2014 European Championships

What a pity! I was really hoping to see them live :(

Custom Title
    Bad decision. They could have gone to Sochi as European Champions.
    So it's between only I/K and C/L now. Let's hope for fair judgements.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Florencito View Post
    I don't think it would have mattered much given Bobrova/Soloviev weren't there. I think that it might be the best decision to focus on the Olympics, especially given their training base is in the US (so double jet lag).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Florencito View Post
    So it's between only I/K and C/L now. Let's hope for fair judgements.
    I am with florencito, seems a political decision, it seems the bronze is very much up for grabs at Sochi, and like B/S probably P/B thought that going in raw at the Olympics will give them some impetus, plus maybe P/B were afraid to be beaten by I/K which would have given them an edge going into Sochi, but I think P/B would have been ok, and would easily got there European title back and give them a stranglehold on Bronze and to give them the confidence they need - yes bad decision, these federations??

The only good thing is yes - Papadakis/Cizeron will be there to replace them and their Free Danceis one of the best this year!!

Custom Title
    So Euros is the new 4CC now? The level has dropped so much that top skaters avoid it to focus on bigger events. A shame but it was bound to happen. Still at this point I think the rep bonus of euro champions would have benefited them but then again who wants to go on history records as a 3 time euro champion but never medalled at Olys.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    In 2010 Euros i think everybody was there. And this time it is Olympic Games in Europe. Maybe Sochi dates are earlier than Vancouver?Certyainly the team event thing hurts them a lot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    The only good thing is yes - Papadakis/Cizeron will be there to replace them and their Free Danceis one of the best this year!!
    So is P/B's though, isn't it? That could've been a relatively easy gold for them. It's really a pity.

And can't say I like this new trend. Whatever happened to Europeans being the old, prestigeous event everyone wants to win, the event that sends people to the Games as favourites, the potential Olympic medalists/champions? Saving themselves for the Olympics? Davis/White and Virtue/Moir are certainly not doing it, they're competing at their respective nationals soon AFAIR.

I always thought Olympic season Worlds were kinda pointless, never thought it would be Europeans that would turn out as such.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    Whatever happened to Europeans being the old, prestigeous event everyone wants to win, the event that sends people to the Games as favourites, the potential Olympic medalists/champions?
    It's become the event everyone is afraid of losing.
    I get Ziggy's point that P/B training in the US makes competing in Budapest a little more strenuous to them than if it were a "local" competition, but I don't really believe not competing here will make them skate better at the Olympics.

Who knows, maybe they've even decided that winning the Euros would be a bad thing for their chances at Bronze in Sochi, since the judges (them again!!!) might think "ok, we gave P/B the Euros, so we'll give B/S the Olympic medal". Winning the EC and not winning the EC might both be considered as a lose/lose situation for them...
    Maybe I'm just overthinking this!

So is P/B's though, isn't it?
    Great concept but not developed enough.

I always thought Olympic season Worlds were kinda pointless, never thought it would be Europeans that would turn out as such.
    Post-Olympic Worlds are the best. Old farts out, young blood in.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    It's become the event everyone is afraid of losing.
    And that's probably the main reason for P/B missing Euros. Too much to lose.

Custom Title
    Well that's sad... I was really looking forward to seeing P/B. But, at least Papadakis/Cizeron get to compete. Not the way I wanted them to get in this competition, but still. Be careful what you wish for, huh...

I know that's an extremely long shot by any standards but imagine that Papadakis/Cizeron gave it their 110% and ended up with bronze. (I can dream)

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Saving themselves for the Olympics? Davis/White and Virtue/Moir are certainly not doing it, they're competing at their respective nationals soon AFAIR.

Europeans are not Nationals. Are Davis/White and Virtue/Moir going to 4 Continents, did they go back in 2010?

So is P/B's though, isn't it? That could've been a relatively easy gold for them. It's really a pity.

And can't say I like this new trend. Whatever happened to Europeans being the old, prestigeous event everyone wants to win, the event that sends people to the Games as favourites, the potential Olympic medalists/champions? Saving themselves for the Olympics? Davis/White and Virtue/Moir are certainly not doing it, they're competing at their respective nationals soon AFAIR.

P/b competed at their Nationals, so this is besides the point.

I think this is a combination of not wanting to lose, having a work-in-progress SD, the distance and jet lag involved, and having to prepare for two competitions at the Olympics. They're the oldest ice dancers currently competing so I can understand them wanting to take it a bit easier. But it still sucks that they won't be in Budapest. Hopefully the rest of Team France will still manage a good showing.

I love post-Olympic worlds

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Europeans are not Nationals. Are Davis/White and Virtue/Moir going to 4 Continents, did they go back in 2010?
    Well, I don't know about this year, but they didn't go in 2010, Weaver/Poje won that year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    P/b competed at their Nationals, so this is besides the point.
    Competition is competition. Nationals or Europeans, they still have to do the exact same thing - perform both of their programs and adjust their training time. All I meant was the timing of the competition. Both V/M and D/W are competing in January, but for some reason both B/S and P/B think it's impossible if you wanna be ready for Sochi? the only reasonable excuse is the fact P/B train in the US and would really have to travel back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Post-Olympic Worlds are the best. Old farts out, young blood in.
    Young blood can shine in the post-Olympic season. I really don't see the point in giving the world champion titles to people who couldn't even medal a month earlier, just because the real best skaters in the world are tired of the long season and satisfied with their Olympic medals. It's all just so forced and fake.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast