Entries 2014 European Championships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Entries 2014 European Championships

I know that's an extremely long shot by any standards but imagine that Papadakis/Cizeron gave it their 110% and ended up with bronze. (I can dream)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Saving themselves for the Olympics? Davis/White and Virtue/Moir are certainly not doing it, they're competing at their respective nationals soon AFAIR.

Europeans are not Nationals. Are Davis/White and Virtue/Moir going to 4 Continents, did they go back in 2010?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
So is P/B's though, isn't it? That could've been a relatively easy gold for them. It's really a pity.

And can't say I like this new trend. Whatever happened to Europeans being the old, prestigeous event everyone wants to win, the event that sends people to the Games as favourites, the potential Olympic medalists/champions? Saving themselves for the Olympics? Davis/White and Virtue/Moir are certainly not doing it, they're competing at their respective nationals soon AFAIR.

I always thought Olympic season Worlds were kinda pointless, never thought it would be Europeans that would turn out as such.
P/b competed at their Nationals, so this is besides the point.

I think this is a combination of not wanting to lose, having a work-in-progress SD, the distance and jet lag involved, and having to prepare for two competitions at the Olympics. They're the oldest ice dancers currently competing so I can understand them wanting to take it a bit easier. But it still sucks that they won't be in Budapest. Hopefully the rest of Team France will still manage a good showing.

I love post-Olympic worlds :)

Lota

Record Breaker
Europeans are not Nationals. Are Davis/White and Virtue/Moir going to 4 Continents, did they go back in 2010?

Well, I don't know about this year, but they didn't go in 2010, Weaver/Poje won that year.

SimplyLex

On the Ice

P/b competed at their Nationals, so this is besides the point.

Competition is competition. Nationals or Europeans, they still have to do the exact same thing - perform both of their programs and adjust their training time. All I meant was the timing of the competition. Both V/M and D/W are competing in January, but for some reason both B/S and P/B think it's impossible if you wanna be ready for Sochi? the only reasonable excuse is the fact P/B train in the US and would really have to travel back and forth.

Post-Olympic Worlds are the best. Old farts out, young blood in.

Young blood can shine in the post-Olympic season. I really don't see the point in giving the world champion titles to people who couldn't even medal a month earlier, just because the real best skaters in the world are tired of the long season and satisfied with their Olympic medals. It's all just so forced and fake.

rosacotton

Final Flight
In 2010 Euros i think everybody was there. And this time it is Olympic Games in Europe. Maybe Sochi dates are earlier than Vancouver?Certyainly the team event thing hurts them a lot.

That's a possibility. The Vancouver games were from Feb. 12-28, just a tad earlier than Sochi. I think there may be less time between EC and the Olympics this year as compared to 2010, too. And in Vancouver they didn't have to worry about doing two competitions with the team event.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Games start at 6 Feb, they start earlier than Vancouver and having the Team event there makes it harder, because it is only ten days after Euro Gala. It is not like many skaters skipped Euros anyway, it is 3-4 teams/skaters so far..

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Caution: When I was young story ahead. behold or ignore, that's up to you! ;)

I remember when Euros before Olympic Games used to be so thrilling because federations which had more spots at Euros than at Olympics had said before that the Euros would decide who goes to Olympics.
Nowadays, there's this feeling of "whatever happens at Euros, they already know who they want to send"...
The German OC was always very strict about what skaters would need to achieve to make it to the Olympics back in the day when they were so used to success:
Before the success drought of the 21st century, it wasn't enough to earn the spot by ISU and IOC standards, skaters also had to fulfill specific NOC requirements: usually to finish no lower than 8th at Euros to be sent.
Seems unimagineable nowadays that Germany would give up an Olympic FS Spot they had earned, but Ronny Winkler had earned Germany a spot for the 94 OG in Lillehammer by finishing 15th at the 93 Worlds, and then had pretty much the skate of his life at Euros 94, finishing 10th. It was an unusually high level of competition (Viktor Petrenko's comeback; Vyacheslav Zagorodniuk didn't get to go to Lillehammer despite finishing 2nd at the Euros bc Ukraine only had 1 spot!), but the German National Olympic Committee didn't care: No top 8, no Olympics. :disapp: The German athletes organized a petition to ask them to reconsider, but they didn't. He never got to go to any Olympics. That was gutwrenching.

What most don't remember of Katarina Witt's comeback in 1994: not only did she, Tanja Szewczenko and Marina Kielmann beat Simone Lang and Evelyn Grossmann (90'EC) at German Nationals for the 3 spots at Euros, she and Tanja Szewczenko beat Marina Kielmann (3rd at 93'EC and 4th at 94'WC) at Euros for the 2 German spots at Lillehammer, but Witt ended up finishing 8th at those Euros! According to the German NOC regulations, had she placed just 1 spot lower, she would have stayed home! Imagine that!

OK, back to the 21st century... :rolleye:
I guess the incentive for this year's EC is to see if Kovtun is able to beat an absent invisible ghost and land on the podium to be allowed to go to Sochi...

Any other real stakes for Sochi, like a real duel where it's enough to beat the other to go? I doubt that Papadakis/Cizeron beating Carron/Jones just by 1 or 2 spots would be enough, for example...

seniorita

Record Breaker
Talinn 2010 Euros were very exciting, and these will be too besides some absences, in 2006 and 2002 Euros it was also known more or less who will go to Olys but they were exciting Euros too.

patinage_adulte

On the Ice
After Short program at Mentor Neslé Nesquick Torun Cup 3 ladies are Out for Europeans :
Clara PETERS IRL
Bernadett SZAKACS HUN
Dimitra KORRI GRE
because Isabelle SCHUSTER-VELISSARIOU is WD from this competition

tomorrow after free program we know if :
Marta GARCIA ESP
Janina MAKEENKA BLR

has the TES for competing at Europeans

and the same thing for Spanish Pairs : GRIGOREVA / MAESTU

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After Short program at Mentor Neslé Nesquick Torun Cup 3 ladies are Out for Europeans :
Clara PETERS IRL
Bernadett SZAKACS HUN
Dimitra KORRI GRE
because Isabelle SCHUSTER-VELISSARIOU is WD from this competition

tomorrow after free program we know if :
Marta GARCIA ESP
Janina MAKEENKA BLR

has the TES for competing at Europeans

and the same thing for Spanish Pairs : GRIGOREVA / MAESTU

Apologies if this sounds like I am criticising your English, as that is not my intention. I just want to make sure of something.

But could you clarify whether the first 3 girls are competing at Euros or not.

You see, I'm Irish, and so I have a vested interest in whether Clara is going to Budapest or not.

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan

seniorita

Record Breaker
Clara missed the short program TES minimum by less than half point, I think she had already the FS TES minimum, pity she wont go to Euros.

sneakypie

Rinkside
I think what patinage_adulte means is that the people listed did not manage to get the TES minimum required to attend Euros. At Mentor Neslé Nesquick Torun Cup Clara Peters only scored 19.97 in TES, the minimum needed is 20, and she does not apear to have gotten 20 TES in a SP elsewhere. So she is not competing at Euros.

Frenchie

Medalist
Apologies if this sounds like I am criticising your English, as that is not my intention. I just want to make sure of something.

But could you clarify whether the first 3 girls are competing at Euros or not.

You see, I'm Irish, and so I have a vested interest in whether Clara is going to Budapest or not.

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan

Sorry CaroLiza_fan, but Clara won't go to Euros. To meet the minimum requirements, she would have needed to get 20.00pts in TES in a SP. This was her last shot before Euros, and she got... 19.97! 0.03pts short. :no:

Here's the thread to this Weekend's competition in Torún, Poland which was her last opportunity to reach the minimum TES before Euros.

But you can watch her SP here.

patinage_adulte

On the Ice
Spanish Team is full :
Marta Garcia and Veronika Grigoreva / Aritz Maestu obtain TES in Free skating
and for Belarus : Janina Makeenka obtain too
so in final :
20 pairs and 37 ladies at Euro 2014

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry CaroLiza_fan, but Clara won't go to Euros. To meet the minimum requirements, she would have needed to get 20.00pts in TES in a SP. This was her last shot before Euros, and she got... 19.97! 0.03pts short. :no:

Here's the thread to this Weekend's competition in Torún, Poland which was her last opportunity to reach the minimum TES before Euros.

But you can watch her SP here.

She missed it by 0.03 points! :(

Oh thanx for correction, 0.03:eek:? thats even worse :bang:

Thank you all for your replies.

Ach, that's a shame. :disapp: And to miss out by so little must be heartbreaking! :cry:

I hope somebody close to Clara gives her a big cuddle!

So, does that mean the Irish slot will be re-allocated to another country that does have a skater with the minimum TES? Or does it just mean that there will be less skaters competing at Euros?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't normally follow qualifying events. It is only this year that I started getting into qualifying events, because of their importance towards Olympics slots.

CaroLiza_fan

Frenchie

Medalist
Thank you all for your replies.

Ach, that's a shame. :disapp: And to miss out by so little must be heartbreaking! :cry:

I hope somebody close to Clara gives her a big cuddle!

So, does that mean the Irish slot will be re-allocated to another country that does have a skater with the minimum TES? Or does it just mean that there will be less skaters competing at Euros?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't normally follow qualifying events. It is only this year that I started getting into qualifying events, because of their importance towards Olympics slots.

CaroLiza_fan

On the bright side: Carolina just confirmed she'll be going to Euros, so you have that great news to counter the bad Clara news...
There will just be a huge amount of ladies, all allowed to the SP at Euros (36 last year!) with only the best 24 to qualify for the FS, so there's no re-allocation, each country is allowed to send at least 1 lady, as long as she fulfills those minimum TES scores.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
On the bright side: Carolina just confirmed she'll be going to Euros, so you have that great news to counter the bad Clara news...
There will just be a huge amount of ladies, all allowed to the SP at Euros (36 last year!) with only the best 24 to qualify for the FS, so there's no re-allocation, each country is allowed to send at least 1 lady, as long as she fulfills those minimum TES scores.

Yeah, I just saw the news about Carolina in the threads in The Edge. I have to say, she's taking a big risk. Not only is Caro coming back from injury at one of the majors, but she is also debuting 2 new programmes on top of that.

But, I suppose it's better than trying to do it at Olympics...

Thank you for clarifying that there is no re-allocation of the slots. It's a thing I've often wondered, but never thought of asking.

It's disappointing that Clara missed out on going to Euros, but at least there'll still be one representative from this island - Jenna McCorkell! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan