calling adult skaters: hardest jumps you've landed | Golden Skate

calling adult skaters: hardest jumps you've landed

S

sarahmistral

calling adult skaters: hardest jumps you've landed

I was wondering, as someone just getting into adult competitive skating after toying with it on and off for about 6 years (discovered skating at 17; am now 23), what are the hardest jumps people like myself are working towards landing and actually landing?

K

Kayskates

Re: calling adult skaters: hardest jumps you've landed

I started skating at about 25. I have been skating 10+ yrs, some on and off for various reasons. I have been skating regularly for the last 5 yrs. A couple of yrs ago, I was working on the axel and landing them short. I had better luck with the 2sal. I no longer work on these jumps. The pounding to my body was more than I wanted to deal w/. I do nice singles and am accomplished as a spinner. I do a beautiful flying camel. There is definitely more to skating than just jumps.

Kay <a href="http://www.skatejournal.com" target="_new">www.skatejournal.com</a>

S

sk8er1964

I am a child skater (8-16 yrs, or so) who was off for 21 years. Had through a double loop and was working on the double flip & lutz when I quit as a kid. After coming back, the highest jump I've landed so far has been the double toe. I've been fully rotated on double sals, but not landed it yet. Had to stop doing doubles because of injury, but I hope to have through the loop by next year's Adult Sectionals (in March) - we'll see.

D

dlksk8fan

Hi Kay and welcome to Golden Skate. I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your web page and have been on it several times.

I hope to get back to skating and maybe try ice dancing.

E

ElvisStojkofan

Kay, I also enjoyed your webiste. I have read all your journal entries. Nice photos of you skating and your outfits

R

RoaringSkates

I have been skating about once per week for almost 4 years. I didn't skate as a kid. I have somewhat of a waltz jump and a teeny, tiny salchow. I hope, someday, to be the queen of single jumps!

S

sk8er1964

Roaring Skates brought up a good point, I think. The time you can spend skating has a lot of impact on what people can do, too. For example, I skate 6 days a week for an hour each day. I'm sure I wouldn't even be contemplating double jumps if I could only get out a couple times a week (I thank my wonderful boss frequently for letting me skate at lunch :D )

C

Cinderella On Ice

I'm 45. I skated for 7 years as a kid, and then have just come back after 30 years (!) off the ice.

As a kid, I had all the jumps up through double toe loop, double salchow, and double flip. Now I can land all of the singles except I haven't yet tried the walley again. I can sometimes land the axel, but haven't started working on it, as I'm trying to get my Bronze and Silver Freestyles done and my Gold Moves.

I agree that it is very important as an adult to have enough skating time, but I also seem to need some recuperation time in the week as well. Maybe it's because of all my other activities.

And ditto, Kay, on your excellent website and journal. You're a real inspiration.

I

icenut84

Do I count as an adult? I'm 19, have been skating for two years once a week (but didn't get to skate last week and might not get to skate this week either! Hmm.) Hardest jump I've landed cleanly is a flip. When I first started skating my big goals re: jumps were an axel and a double toe loop. Here's hoping! :)

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Adult skater, age 45, skating for four years. I have all the half jumps except half loop, have a fairly solid toeloop and salchow, and I've done waltz-toe. My goal is to get through axel.