Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Russian Men prospects

Custom Title

Russian Men prospects

It's unlikely Russia will get back to it's golden age of skating with Yagudin/Plushenko rivalry. But can they dominated Europeans they way they did before? Now Russian has Kovtun, but two more skaters are needed. Gachinsky has been a disappointment so who can fill the void? Pitkeev? Petrov?

Custom Title
    Gachinski is 20 and not done yet.

Custom Title
    It all depends if gachinski can get back to 2012 euros shape where he placed second. Then with kovtun it could be poissible to have two Russians on the podium again. If that doesn't ever happen is there a future other than kovtun? Don't think that's clear yet and pitkeev and petrov are not tested yet. But even in having kovtun Russia is in a more improved position than it was in the first post plushenko era with voronov and lutai and Griazev. It's not going to be as bad but there's a vacuum- basically nobody in their mid 20's is good! That's a lost generation.

I think it would also depend on the other European men, and how good they are. There's Javi, who's going through a rough spot at the moment (whatever the reason for that may be), but will probably be back sooner or later. Then there's Florent. Brian is retiring. Verner and Brezina? What European up and comers are there? If there aren't many contenders, people could end up on the Euro's podium by default.

Custom Title
    I wonder what could become of Chaffik besseghier of France. See if be could be a max Aaron. A Joubert replacement.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I wonder what could become of Chaffik besseghier of France. See if be could be a max Aaron. A Joubert replacement.
    I'm afraid Chafik won't develop into a top contender for Euros or Worlds anymore.
    He's already 24 and still remains very inconsistent. His jumps - despite their remarkable height - mostly have sloppy landings, so he's bad at doing -3T combos, or even -2T2T. He gets low PCS as well.
    The FFSG has been waiting for years for him to step it up, I think by now they've pretty much given up and will focus on supporting a newer generation.

France will fall further from the international map after Brian Joubert and Péchalat/Bourzat retiring. I wonder if another country (Italy?) will push to get the GP instead of France's Trophée Éric Bompart in the next years.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Gachinski is 20 and not done yet.
    No, he's not, but he hasn't been a factor for two seasons. He needs to get out of his rut soon. Another coach might help.

I think Pitkeev will rise to the challenge. But I have noticed that the coming-up Russian men have very similar styles. If I turn on the junior grand prix in the middle of a skate I can always tell if the boy skating is Russian.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    I'm afraid Chafik won't develop into a top contender for Euros or Worlds anymore.
    He's already 24 and still remains very inconsistent. His jumps - despite their remarkable height - mostly have sloppy landings, so he's bad at doing -3T combos, or even -2T2T. He gets low PCS as well.
    The FFSG has been waiting for years for him to step it up, I think by now they've pretty much given up and will focus on supporting a newer generation.

France will fall further from the international map after Brian Joubert and Péchalat/Bourzat retiring. I wonder if another country (Italy?) will push to get the GP instead of France's Trophée Éric Bompart in the next years.
    Well besseghier was still third so it's kind of not him then who? Lol. I dont see France losing a gp to Italy. If anything South Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by ghislaine View Post
    No, he's not, but he hasn't been a factor for two seasons. He needs to get out of his rut soon. Another coach might help.

I think Pitkeev will rise to the challenge. But I have noticed that the coming-up Russian men have very similar styles. If I turn on the junior grand prix in the middle of a skate I can always tell if the boy skating is Russian.
    I disagree petrov and pitkeev or Samarin or kolyada are all the same.

Banned
    If Russia keeps paying millions of dollars just to beg 30 something year old men, no longer competitive with the Worlds elite, to compete, then no they will never return to the top level. It would be the equivalent of the USFSA paying legend Kwan millions of dollars and guaranteeing her all, including an Olympic spot (or their only one if they had only one), just to finish 17th at the Olympics as a 33 year old. USFSA are not that stupid though, they know the only way to is to move onwards and try their best to rebuild within.

Well besseghier was still third so it's kind of not him then who?
    Exactly. That's why I wrote
    France will fall further from the international map after Brian Joubert and Péchalat/Bourzat retiring.
    I dont see France losing a gp to Italy. If anything South Korea.
    I think a criteria will be that the host should have some presentable skaters in each category.
    South Korea doesn't even have a Pairs or an Ice Dance event in their National Championship.
    Either that, or they get rid of that "3 entries out of 10 / 8 for the host country" rule... 3 French ladies or 3 Chinese Ice Dancers... ahem...
    But since Carolina Kostner and Valentina Marchei will end their career after this season, and Stefania Berton & Ondřej Hotárek might also stop soon (she's engaged to Rockne Brubaker now and he's already 29), Italy won't be what it was either Gosh! I'm already mourning skaters that haven't even retired yet!

There will be mass retirements, and the figure skating landscape is going to be vastly different... and it's going to feel very empty, missing all those familar faces...

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    There will be mass retirements, and the figure skating landscape is going to be vastly different... and it's going to feel very empty, missing all those familar faces...
    Thank God there's youtube to get over the worst of it!

Thank God there's youtube to get over the worst of it!
    Long live youtube!

Custom Title
    Exactly. That's why I wrote

I think a criteria will be that the host should have some presentable skaters in each category.
    South Korea doesn't even have a Pairs or an Ice Dance event in their National Championship.
    Either that, or they get rid of that "3 entries out of 10 / 8 for the host country" rule... 3 French ladies or 3 Chinese Ice Dancers... ahem...
    But since Carolina Kostner and Valentina Marchei will end their career after this season, and Stefania Berton & Ondřej Hotárek might also stop soon (she's engaged to Rockne Brubaker now and he's already 29), Italy won't be what it was either Gosh! I'm already mourning skaters that haven't even retired yet!
    You also wrote about France supporting a new genration of men but of all the men at French nationals besseghier still placed third.

The issue of South Korea providing men dance teams and pairs for host picks may not be as important as Asia.

But I don't think France is losing a gp just because of retirements.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    If Russia keeps paying millions of dollars just to beg 30 something year old men, no longer competitive with the Worlds elite, to compete, then no they will never return to the top level. It would be the equivalent of the USFSA paying legend Kwan millions of dollars and guaranteeing her all, including an Olympic spot (or their only one if they had only one), just to finish 17th at the Olympics as a 33 year old. USFSA are not that stupid though, they know the only way to is to move onwards and try their best to rebuild within.
    But Russia also gave kovtun the worlds spot after he placed fifth at nationals and pays for tarasova to coach and campaign for him- no matter what nonsense is said about some other woman being his coach.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast