Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Russian Men prospects

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Russian Men prospects

It's unlikely Russia will get back to it's golden age of skating with Yagudin/Plushenko rivalry. But can they dominated Europeans they way they did before? Now Russian has Kovtun, but two more skaters are needed. Gachinsky has been a disappointment so who can fill the void? Pitkeev? Petrov?

Custom Title
    Gachinski is 20 and not done yet.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Gachinski is 20 and not done yet.
    No, he's not, but he hasn't been a factor for two seasons. He needs to get out of his rut soon. Another coach might help.

I think Pitkeev will rise to the challenge. But I have noticed that the coming-up Russian men have very similar styles. If I turn on the junior grand prix in the middle of a skate I can always tell if the boy skating is Russian.

Custom Title
    It all depends if gachinski can get back to 2012 euros shape where he placed second. Then with kovtun it could be poissible to have two Russians on the podium again. If that doesn't ever happen is there a future other than kovtun? Don't think that's clear yet and pitkeev and petrov are not tested yet. But even in having kovtun Russia is in a more improved position than it was in the first post plushenko era with voronov and lutai and Griazev. It's not going to be as bad but there's a vacuum- basically nobody in their mid 20's is good! That's a lost generation.

Custom Title
    I think it would also depend on the other European men, and how good they are. There's Javi, who's going through a rough spot at the moment (whatever the reason for that may be), but will probably be back sooner or later. Then there's Florent. Brian is retiring. Verner and Brezina? What European up and comers are there? If there aren't many contenders, people could end up on the Euro's podium by default.

Custom Title
    I wonder what could become of Chaffik besseghier of France. See if be could be a max Aaron. A Joubert replacement.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I wonder what could become of Chaffik besseghier of France. See if be could be a max Aaron. A Joubert replacement.
    I'm afraid Chafik won't develop into a top contender for Euros or Worlds anymore.
    He's already 24 and still remains very inconsistent. His jumps - despite their remarkable height - mostly have sloppy landings, so he's bad at doing -3T combos, or even -2T2T. He gets low PCS as well.
    The FFSG has been waiting for years for him to step it up, I think by now they've pretty much given up and will focus on supporting a newer generation.

France will fall further from the international map after Brian Joubert and Péchalat/Bourzat retiring. I wonder if another country (Italy?) will push to get the GP instead of France's Trophée Éric Bompart in the next years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    I'm afraid Chafik won't develop into a top contender for Euros or Worlds anymore.
    He's already 24 and still remains very inconsistent. His jumps - despite their remarkable height - mostly have sloppy landings, so he's bad at doing -3T combos, or even -2T2T. He gets low PCS as well.
    The FFSG has been waiting for years for him to step it up, I think by now they've pretty much given up and will focus on supporting a newer generation.

France will fall further from the international map after Brian Joubert and Péchalat/Bourzat retiring. I wonder if another country (Italy?) will push to get the GP instead of France's Trophée Éric Bompart in the next years.
    Well besseghier was still third so it's kind of not him then who? Lol. I dont see France losing a gp to Italy. If anything South Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by ghislaine View Post
    No, he's not, but he hasn't been a factor for two seasons. He needs to get out of his rut soon. Another coach might help.

I think Pitkeev will rise to the challenge. But I have noticed that the coming-up Russian men have very similar styles. If I turn on the junior grand prix in the middle of a skate I can always tell if the boy skating is Russian.
    I disagree petrov and pitkeev or Samarin or kolyada are all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    It's unlikely Russia will get back to it's golden age of skating with Yagudin/Plushenko rivalry.
    I think they still can. Look at the upcoming Russian girls. Soon it may be Julia vs Elena just like Yag vs Plushenko. Russia has a centralised government funded training system like China which makes it easier for them to 'churn out' champions compared to non-centralised funded/self funded system in N. America and some European countries. And isn't figure skating a well loved sport in Russia too?

Custom Title
    I think Kovtun was sent to 2013 Worlds, because in that season he had won his both junior GP events plus the JGPF and was 5th at the senior Europeans. Nobody from the senior Russians was even close to these achievements. Kovtun needed senior experience and at Worlds he got it.

In current season he got silver from his both senior GP events and became Russian National champion. I believe he is the future of the Russian skating in men´s discipline.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I think they still can. Look at the upcoming Russian girls. Soon it may be Julia vs Elena just like Yag vs Plushenko. Russia has a centralised government funded training system like China which makes it easier for them to 'churn out' champions compared to non-centralised funded/self funded system in N. America and some European countries. And isn't figure skating a well loved sport in Russia too?
    I agree. Russian men are currently going through a bit of slump but there are some promising juniors that may make it.
    Pitkeev is only 15 and he is already getting decent results - gold and silver at JGP, silver at JGPF and 5th at senior nationals. He is coached by Tutberidze (Lipnitskaya and Medvedeva's coach).
    Petrov is only 14 and got two silvers at JGP and fifth at JGPF.
    Kolyada got silver and bronze from JGPF. He was first alternate for JGPF.
    Samarin got two bronze medals last season at JGP events; this season he finished fourth at his first event, so they took his second event away from him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I agree. Russian men are currently going through a bit of slump but there are some promising juniors that may make it.
    Pitkeev is only 15 and he is already getting decent results - gold and silver at JGP, silver at JGPF and 5th at senior nationals. He is coached by Tutberidze (Lipnitskaya and Medvedeva's coach).
    Petrov is only 14 and got two silvers at JGP and fifth at JGPF.
    Kolyada got silver and bronze from JGPF. He was first alternate for JGPF.
    Samarin got two bronze medals last season at JGP events; this season he finished fourth at his first event, so they took his second event away from him.
    He's only 14? Now I'm impressed. I think he'll definitely be on Russian team in the future.

Another important question is how much can Kovtun improve on the 2nd mark?

Banned
    Ya know, I actually like Sergei Voronov. He has a certain sly sexiness that borders on crazy/sketchy...but it's a nice contrast to Maxim Kovtun's very straight-edged classical aura.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    He's only 14? Now I'm impressed. I think he'll definitely be on Russian team in the future.

Another important question is how much can Kovtun improve on the 2nd mark?
    I think Kovtun can definitely improve on it, but he already has good musicality, and can really sell a program. I still think his SP is my favourite this year... I thought that Virtue/Moir were the best to interpret/execute that music, but - for a men's SP - Kovtun is absolutely scintillating. I mean, that footwork... a Flamenco can look so sloppy if you don't have that attack and sharpness, and he's certainly got it.

Considering his season last year and this year, it's also remarkable that he got not one but 2 quads in such a short period of time, and with more consistency than a lot of other guys have shown this year (certainly more than Fernandez, Hanyu, Aaron and other attempting both the 4S and 4T). If not for Machida, he'd totally be my most improved skater this year.

In terms of ambitiousness, his program (3 quads and 2 triple axels) is exceedingly difficult... and to think he just came out of juniors. If he stays uninjured and with Tarasova pushing him at an accelerated pace and developing his artistry (thank god he left Morozov), at least his future is bright when it comes to the Russian men.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think Kovtun can definitely improve on it, but he already has good musicality, and can really sell a program.
    Last year at Euros he was as interesting as Pfeifer to watch. Actually Pfeifer is more musical. I m waiting to see his progress at these Euros, Tarasova has made a clever Lp for him, to cover the luck of personality for me, but anyway he is young.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast