What Americans are likely to retire? | Golden Skate

What Americans are likely to retire?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Who do you see ending their amateur career AFTER nationals? Olympics? What we we likely see based on predictions, costs of skating, age, future professional contracts? I esp would like to know who will be left in pairs? Do Marlie plan to end after Oly regardless of outcome?

I am speaking of Americans only but maybe a world thread will be of interest. I don't know anyone's plans, but expect many, maybe half to quit. Info? And do you think anyone should retire?

I think Alissa plans to. Also Jeremy. I think both have more chances to skate in Asian Shows. I think Jeremy has great elegance, seems very sweet. He and Alissa would be good with young skaters if coaching interests them. I love Mirai and just watched her Oly sp. I remember thinking she'd be a WC. I don't think she'll make the team. I think they think Agnes has more of a future, but with all the money keeping them going, that could go for education, as a "parent" type I'd want my kids to have a future. I am guessing many will pull a Nobi. He quit skating despite being undermarked, but he is a parent. Who will be left> Who has already announced their plans? TY.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
74 views no opinions? are skater x ubers mad at me? I'd like to know who is leaving...no response? I feel bad....

gmyers

Record Breaker
It always depends. Not even age can be an indicator! Maybe Abbott because of age and possible lack of Olympics maybe but you never know. How about the shock of Armin Mahbanoozadeh?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
People must be practical. That is why I think many may leave. Should Agnes and Mirai hang in there? I wonder.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I honestly don't see an exodus of retirements in the U.S., honestly:

The only one in Ice Dance I see may retire is Davis and White, but it seems they are open for continuing if they have the desire and motivation to do so.

In ladies, Alissa will likely retire from competitive skating and Rachael I think will be done as well so she can focus on school and the next phase of her career.

Men: Jeremy Abbott is likely, though not definite. Maybe Stephen Carriere? Evan Lysacek is unlikely to return.

Pairs: I honestly don't see anyone retiring at this point. Castelli and Shnapir have the longest partnership, and I think they may want to continue, especially for the chance to compete at home in Worlds 2016.

gmyers

Record Breaker
People must be practical. That is why I think many may leave. Should Agnes and Mirai hang in there? I wonder.

I think they may continue! Just like there seems to be reasons for them to retire are they greater than the reasons that Armin Mahbanoozadeh did retire? Maybe Adam Rippon retires.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I honestly don't see an exodus of retirements in the U.S., honestly:

The only one in Ice Dance I see may retire is Davis and White, but it seems they are open for continuing if they have the desire and motivation to do so.

In ladies, Alissa will likely retire from competitive skating and Rachael I think will be done as well so she can focus on school and the next phase of her career.

Men: Jeremy Abbott is likely, though not definite. Maybe Stephen Carriere? Evan Lysacek is unlikely to return.

Pairs: I honestly don't see anyone retiring at this point. Castelli and Shnapir have the longest partnership, and I think they may want to continue, especially for the chance to compete at home in Worlds 2016.

Pretty much agree here.

A lot of people seem to think its a foregone conclusion that D/W will retire but I've never been certain. They might hang on until US worlds. If they win, it may actually lucrative for them to stay competing. but they may be wanting to move on to new chapters.

Alissa I think is for sure done. I think Agnes will be done if she misses the team. Same for Mirai. I could also see Christina wanting to focus on school if she misses the team but just as easily could see her continuing.

Pairs- not sure anyone is going anywhere. D/S have said they're staying. So have S/k who are just getting started. Caydee Denney is still very young so I guess that will depend on Coughlin. C/S waited seemingly forever to get to the top of US pairs and gave multiple interviews last year saying they were finally getting along and enjoying the partnership. Don't see them going anywhere with Boston worlds in 2 years. Oh but Rockne may finally call it a day since he's in all likelihood not making the Olympics.

I think Rippon told TSL he'll stay at least one more year. Smart as he could do quote well internationally next year. Jeremy will retire, maybe Ross. The rest are young.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I have never believed and do not believe that D/W will retire. I don't see any of the 'known' teams behind them retiring either.

I do think Alissa Czisny and hopefully Caroline Zhang are done. Flatt and Gao are likely also done, particularly Flatt. Nagasu may be done too but my gut says no. I don't see Agnes retiring so long as the USFSA continues to score her high at Nationals. I don't see ashley retiring unless she grabs both a world and olympic medal, and even then, I doubt it.

Abbott is probably done.

These are the only 'big' names I can see retiring at this time.

caitie

Medalist
I feel like a lot of the US teams and skaters are building at the moment. So our prospects for the Olympics aren't that optimistic, but the next quad should be very interesting.

A lot of people seem to think its a foregone conclusion that D/W will retire but I've never been certain. They might hang on until US worlds. If they win, it may actually lucrative for them to stay competing. but they may be wanting to move on to new chapters.

IA! I was surprised when Meryl joked about appearing at the 2018 Olympics last year. It was just a joke, but I really haven't gotten a This Is The End vibe from them this season like I have from Virtue/Moir. But they've done so many interviews where they've both expressed a desire to have careers outside of skating and to finish up their degrees, and I recall Charlie saying he wanted to go to law school awhile back. It's hard for me to imagine them staying on. I also suspect it would be difficult for them to find the same degree of motivation in a post-Virtue/Moir field? They seem like a team who thrive on and are driven by competition.

Has Ashley talked about her plans? I don't think she'd retire based on what she's said in her more recent interviews.

Jedi

On the Ice
I think it is so hard for skaters to make a final decision without the lure of professional skating especially. So many just fizzle out when injuries and age take over. WE have seen Michelle Kwan, Kimmie Meissner and to a point Johnny Weir all just fizzle out and Alissa and Evan seem to follow suit. You want to believe they have one more dying gasp but reality is it is very unlikely. It is like they have trouble moving on. AS for Davis and White - They should take their Oly gold and move on. If Charlie is serious about law school he has a bit of work to do before applying. So many have trouble saying good bye but I do think Zhang, Flatt, Gao, Davis and White should enjoy the next stages of their lives- many have academic opportunities that will be harder to do later on. Prop opportunities aren't there any more. Injuries and age but a lack of acceptance took the "careers"or tainted the ending of Kwan, Meissner and maybe even Joubert. But certainly Alissa, EVan and even maybe Plushy all seem to have trouble facing it is over - I will give Plushy a chance but his injuries have taken their toll. I think it is time for Abbott to call it a career after this season - it is mean but sometimes you have to make a call and live with it. I think Johnny pu it best about the freedom once you know it is over - no second guessing or wondering you just move on. Otherwise you never get a proper goodbye or to say goodbye like Kwan, like Butyrskaya, like Meissner et al.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott has very openly acknowledged that he is retiring at the end of this season.

As the season has progressed, he and his mother have made sentimental comments along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing): "That was my/our last GP ever," "Last time ever competing in Japan," etc.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
I hope Mirai stays.
I don't think Agnes will be leaving anytime soon.
Flatt looks like she's done.
Ashley is done.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I hope Mirai stays.
I don't think Agnes will be leaving anytime soon.
Flatt looks like she's done.
Ashley is done.

Wagner might still stay at least 1 or 2 more seasons and try to get into Worlds podium
though it will be tough for her competing with Gracie Gold who will be US No.1 by then
she might get worn out by then too, so a retirement could be an option for her

Jedi

On the Ice
In a way I hope Mirai moves on with life. She is way too up and down; she needs stability in her life

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I can see Mirai retiring if she doesn't make the Olympics team
Wagner's retirement will soley depend on Gracie Gold if she can still catch up with her
I expect Gracie to be on the Worlds podium next quad and be the undisputed US No.1 lady

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
I can see Mirai retiring if she doesn't make the Olympics team
Wagner's retirement will soley depend on Gracie Gold if she can still catch up with her
I expect Gracie to be on the Worlds podium next quad and be the undisputed US No.1 lady

Wagner is a very strong, independent individual. I highly doubt she will base her retirement plan off of how another skater is doing. Although Ashley obviously wants to win, you can tell she truly loves skating for what it is. Also, Ashley is just getting into her groove. I highly doubt she will call it quits after this season. She will want to skate at Worlds in 2016 in front of the home crowd.

As for the rest of everyone, here are my predictions for who will retire after this season:

Ladies- Joelle Forte (27 years old), Caroline Zhang, Rachael Flatt, Alissa Czisny

Men - Jeremy Abbott, Douglas Razzano

Pairs - John Couglin (but I'm sure Caydee will find a new partner)

Ice Dance- I don't really follow it, but perhaps Davis and White if they win gold in Sochi. I think it's best to retire on a high note.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Done: Alissa, Rachel, Caroline, Mirai

Ashley I'm pretty sure will stay because it took her so long to get to the top in the US that she will enjoy it as long as she continues to dominate.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
In a way I hope Mirai moves on with life. She is way too up and down; she needs stability in her life

Watching her I don't feel like she has enjoyed skating for a very long time, and I think it's partially due to her not achieving her full potential. I admire her for continuing to fight after some poor results.