Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Greatest Ladies Free Skates of All Time

Banned
    I also think Tonya was affected by Kristi's retirement as she was motivated by chasing Kristi, whose abilities she respected. Despite having small jumps she didnt wimp out on technical content, and always went for some of the hardest jumps even without a 3axel (triple lutz-triple toe, triple flip-triple toe at times, a 2nd triple lutz, 6 and 7 triple programs), and usually delivered. Despite being given an artistic advantage in the judges eyes over everyone, especialy Midori and Tonya, Kristi still pushed herself hard technically as well and was a ferocious competitor who loved a fierce athletic competition. I think Tonya resented Nancy who she thought was really not that great a technical skater, artist, certainly not a competitor and who she believed benefited from her hype and prettiness. At the 93 Nationals Nancy skated almost as badly as Tonya but won easily, while Tonya came 4th behind nobody Kwiatkowski who landed only 1 triple, and missed the team. At the 92 Olympics Nancy's poor LP was placed above Tonya's decent one in that phase (it wouldnt have changed the podium mind you) by nearly almost every judge, and Nancy was winning medals even with splatty performances while Tonya needed to land her triple axels to challenge Kristi and Midori or even medal at all. Nancy was hyped up to U.S and World #1 instantly by the USFSA and U.S press when Kristi retired prematurely.

Who knows with 3 spots for the 94 Games but Kristi around, it might be Nancy (who NEVER would have become #1 with Kristi still around, especialy with the garbage skating she showed in the 93 season) who would be feeling the heat. Maybe she would have hired Jerry Solomon to club her so called good friend Kristi or Tonya.

What I will say is Kristi's winning the 92 Olympics and going pro early had a carryover effect for many skaters, for many years to come, I believe.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yes, isn't it amazing when you realize how rare a smooth performance is at the Olympics. I remember the first time I looked back at Kristi's 1992 long program at Albertville. When she fell, I was shocked. I totally hadn't remembered that. One thinks of Kristi as always being cool under pressure, and being meticulous and pretty much perfect.

It gives one a greater respect for what these skaters do, doesn't it? It's a good thing no one can monitor their blood pressure during an Olympic skating performance. Can you imagine how high the readings would be? (They'd be high enough just in the fans and the coaches!)
    It definitely gives me a greater respect for what the skaters do. I can't imagine training your whole life to reach one Olympic moment. The only pressure that compares to it in sports must be in gymnastics where you usually have to be perfect in order to win, and because of the demanding nature of the sport, you'll probably only have one Olympic opportunity. It's a wonder these skaters can even tie up their boots and go out there. My hands would be shaking.

Custom Title
    If everyone skated their best in 1992

At the Olympics
    1. Midori
    2. Tonya (both beat Kristi when they landed the 3As)
    3. Kristi
    4. Nancy

Then at World.
    1. Tonya
    2. Kristi
    3. Nancy

1993 World, Tonya, by this point, probably lost her 3A
    1. Kristi
    2. Tonya
    3. Baiul

1994 Olympics
    1. Kristi
    2. Baiul
    3. Tonya (if she's chasing Kristi)

Nancy would never come close to what she achieved. It was a combination of luck, timing, and political support that she was 2 times Olympics medalist. Maybe I should add her name to the list of skaters who have it all.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post

At the Olympics
    1. Midori
    3. Kristi
    4. Nancy

Then at World.
    1. Tonya
    2. Kristi
    3. Nancy

1. Kristi
    2. Tonya
    3. Baiul

1994 Olympics
    1. Kristi
    2. Baiul

Nancy would never come close to what she achieved. It was a combination of luck, timing, and political support that she was 2 times Olympics medalist. Maybe I should add her name to the list of skaters who have it all.
    I totally agree with the 92 rankings, assuming everybody skated their best.

With Tonya as hypothetical defending World Champion in 93, I could see her (skating cleanly) being placed above Baiul and Kerrigan without the 3A, but it would be close. Nancy had 2 Lutzs planned and a 3t-3t in that program (if I recall correctly), so if she hit them both, and Baiul skating cleanly, it would be up in the air if the defending world champ marks would have been there for her. Skating cleanly, Skate Canada also would have had a case for Chouinard to be up there, and Lu Chen.

For 94, though, it would really depend on whether we give Tonya credit for the 3A she had planned. Without that, her programs...bleh. She would have really struggled to compete against a clean field, with Chouinard's choreo and two lutzs, Kerrigan's 3t-3t, Sato, Lu Chen...I think she really would have struggled in an even field in the 94 Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post

At the Olympics
    1. Midori
    3. Kristi
    4. Nancy

Then at World.
    1. Tonya
    2. Kristi
    3. Nancy

1. Kristi
    2. Tonya
    3. Baiul

1994 Olympics
    1. Kristi
    2. Baiul

It's difficult to say how things would have turned out had Kristi remained eligible. Had Kristi participated in Lilihamer, I'm certain that Baiul would have attempted 7 triples, as anyone who can do the jumps through the lutz can attempt 7.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7